Thread: Metabo SXE400

Post Thanks / Like
    What can you tell me about this machine? I was thinking of getting one to replace my PC. I will be using it for motorcycles. It seems smaller, and I liked that it does not have the metal spindle guard/cover, which is always in my way and easy to bump into things in the tight spaces on bikes. I searched here and read the metabo site and still have questions. Is it as safe to use as a PC-it says it is faster? As durable? It looks like you can not switch out backing plates, is this correct? If so, is the plate flexible, and will my 4" pads work on it?

Thanks~sorry for so many ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn’t say the SXE400 is a replacement for a PC as much as a compliment. I would want to have both. I guess for bikes you might be able to get away with it by itself.

With no other backing plate options and the smaller pad size your pad options are far more limited than with the PC.

The SXE400 is faster than the PC and you are concentrating on a smaller area, but it also has a shorter stroke. A finish that’s about to fail can be compromised by any polishing but I’d say the SXE400 is a very safe machine.

I haven’t had mine long enough or used it heavily enough to comment directly on durability but Metabo’s stock and trade is industrial tools for professional users.

To deal with the PC’s metal housing you can go to showcardetailing(dotcom) and order OctaneGuy’s “PC Guard.â€

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info. I would be keeping my PC...I guess I should have worded it like you said, use the metabo to compliment it. My problem with the guard is more of it being in the way than anything. I was just thinking with the metabo maybe I would be able to get into some tighter spots because it is narrower, because it does not have a guard on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Before it died on me, I used a Wen mini-orbital on cycles. It worked really well because of its small size. Quite powerful for such a small machine.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Thread Information