Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I see little if any mention of these being used in the States, whereas in the UK no self respecting detailer would leave home without one it seems!

So who uses a paint thickness gauge, and which makes/models do you favour?

Are they easily available stateside, I suspect they will be cheaper than in the UK!!!!
    2 Classic Minis, Rover 200vi, Mazda mx5, Ford Mondeo Estate

Post Thanks / Like
    I think prehapes they are more required for some kinda cars, sports cars with thin paints more then run of the mill cars??

The thing is in the UK its been made in to such a hoo-raah upmarket kinda thing, while in the USA its much more run of the mill to get your car detailed.

Post Thanks / Like
    The thing is in the UK its been made in to such a hoo-raah upmarket kinda thing, while in the USA its much more run of the mill to get your car detailed.

That explains a lot!!!!! I suspect the UK is a few years behind USA as in many trends........
    2 Classic Minis, Rover 200vi, Mazda mx5, Ford Mondeo Estate

Post Thanks / Like
    Not many people use them, they are kinda pointless IMO

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, the UK, they have Paul Dalton over there. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupe

IMHO they are pretty useful. Lets say I am going to do a scratch and swirl removal of a car. If I have a PTG I can see where the paint is thin, for example I have only 70microns on the left front wing. Then I would never use a wool pad and a compound on that beacuse itĂ‚´s very easy to remove all the remaining clear and down to the primer.

So if the customer ask why their is still scratches on the front wing, I can tell him that the paint is so thin that I donĂ‚´t want polish it. Beacuse I could ending up burning the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW pro motorcar products is the one I use. Their headquarters is 4 miles from my house.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just about to ask. I`ve tried to find a good PTG but it seems like online i can`t find any realistic prices. They`re all $400 or more. I`ll check out that company.

Post Thanks / Like
    May I also ask what model you have, Immaculate?

Post Thanks / Like
    I use it and definately USEFUL. You also want to know how much clear you are taking off.

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you use, Kany?

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn`t mind picking one up but for a hobbyist such as myself it isn`t worth it right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupe

Me too. I`ve never had the need for one. I`ve done a countless number of major corrections on all kinds of paint and on different kinds of panels & I`ve never burned through. It might be useful for beginners that don`t have alot experience working with paint, but most average corrections that I do, don`t remove a significant amount of clear. I wonder about people that are removing that much paint on a basic correction? I`ve had customers that bring me their daily drivers 2-3 times per year for over 5 years and we`ve wool padded and buffed them every time and there`s never a problem.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Whose yer DADDY!??!?!?!?! LastDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have gone to a couple of the detailing seminars hosted by Richard Lin (OctaneGuy) at his shop and he is a big beleiver in his PTG. I can see where the unit is useful, for example it showed that the paint on my Integra is only 4 mils thick. So obviously I don`t want to do anything more aggressive than a light polish.

However his seems to constantly give him problems, bad reading, inoperative, no reading. Etc. Plus, and correct me if I am wrong here, it only works on painted ferrous material, so in other words it won`t even give you a reading on a plastic panel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    Me too. I`ve never had the need for one. I`ve done a countless number of major corrections on all kinds of paint and on different kinds of panels & I`ve never burned through. It might be useful for beginners that don`t have alot experience working with paint, but most average corrections that I do, don`t remove a significant amount of clear. I wonder about people that are removing that much paint on a basic correction? I`ve had customers that bring me their daily drivers 2-3 times per year for over 5 years and we`ve wool padded and buffed them every time and there`s never a problem.

And i agree with you :2thumbs:

Its a great marketing tool though, makes you look *pro*..........pffffff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information