Post Thanks / Like
    Couldn`t find a thread about this so simply steer me to one if it has been discussed.

Being a newbie and having detailed 3 cars so far, I`m having a problem with cleaner polish caking up. I`m using a 3M Perfect ll Plus pad with MEQ #2, spritzing with MEQ QD and I`ve also tried plain water. My settings on the rotary are 1000 & 1400. I`m only doing a 2` x 2` section at a time with very light pressure but after 4-5 passes, it dries up in spots. I have to spritz and rebuff again to get it clean. I`m keeping the left edge slightly raised and moving fairly slow, about the speed I`ve seen others use in the movies on other threads. What am I doing wrong??
    2004 LS430 - Black

1995 Avalon - Pearl White

Post Thanks / Like
    Use the pad flat not lifted at all.

Some products just do this too. Do you use a damp microfiber for removing? This helps a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I tried the pad flat, it wanted to bounce around (it`s not a flat pad but a waffle type). I did spritz with water and yes it did help.

Do your products do this and do you have any polishes that do not dry white? I`m open to suggestions. Thanks!
    2004 LS430 - Black

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JDK
    When I tried the pad flat, it wanted to bounce around (it`s not a flat pad but a waffle type). I did spritz with water and yes it did help.

Do your products do this and do you have any polishes that do not dry white? I`m open to suggestions. Thanks!
    It sounds like maybe you are letting the polish get too dry or it is drying to fast. I do not have much experience with the waffle style pads though.

Post Thanks / Like
    spray 50/50 mix of water and isopropyl alcohol directly to the panel then wipe of with a microfiber it should come right off......are you using meg polish or 3m? i know some of meg polish have a reputation of "gumming" up

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the Meg #2 and it created the gumming, 3M Finess 11 wasn`t really a problem.

The gumming came right off with either spritzing and wiping with mf or doing a quick buff but it is kind of a pain, would rather use something that didn`t gum up.

I think the MEQ polish was really drying too fast no matter what I tried, misting the pad with water, QD or even giving a quick mist to the panel before buffing.
    2004 LS430 - Black

Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up calling Megs today and talking to a rep that has also detailed cars for 10+ years. He asked me how often I cleaned the pad while buffing (not at all). This has the pad too loaded up with cleaner so he recommended cleaning after every panel and to use QD instead of water because water can cause the product to heat up too much. He said I may also want to try a flat pad instead of the wave style I`m using now for a few reasons including that they are easier to clean. Simply use a toothbrush and run from inside out. He did not try and sell me a single item but simply answered my questions and made suggestions based on what I was trying to work on.
    2004 LS430 - Black

Thread Information