Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys. I just tried out rotary for the first time today. I detailed the hood of my car because it`s heavily swirled. First of all, here are the details:

-Lexus GS400 with Black with no clear coat

-Hitachi SP18VA Rotary @ 1300ish RPM (moving about 1.5ft/sec)

-Lake Country light cutting pad (white)

-Lake Country finishing/polishing pad (black)

-Meguiars DACP #83

-3M Rubbing Compound

The problem I`m experiencing is very light marring. I`ve tried these combinations so far:

-White pad with DACP

-White pad with 3M

-Black pad with DACP

-Black pad with 3M

-White pad with DACP followed by Black pad with DACP again.

-White pad with 3M followed by Black pad with DACP

Here is how my car turned out (ignore rock chips and dry clumps of DACP):

When I used the 3M instead of the DACP, it worked better. The DACP quickly dried out and I had problem with the rotary skipping. Not to mention, the DACP left clumps of dry polish on my car. I had to use a QD to get rid of it. I rule out using DACP with a rotary. From now on, the DACP only gets used with the PC.

So what`s wrong here? Am I moving too fast/slow? Is the 3M too abrasive? Is it the pad?

Any tips would be better than no tips at all.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you have for a finishing polish?
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn`t use one. the 3M and DACP are the only polishes I have.

I figured I was going to need one. I`ve been meaning to ask for recommendation in my first post, but I forgot.

So is the lack of finishing polish my problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, you`re going to need something less abrasive than what you have to finish it out nice and clear. Where are you located?
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m in Socal. What a coincidence!

What do you recommend for a lighter polish? I`m guessing it should be applied with the black finish/polishing pad?

Post Thanks / Like
    ...and I have a 95 Legend as well. What part? I have some FPII that you can get in on.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    i had a 92 legend 2 years ago

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it`s the speed - 1.5ft/sec is way fast. I usually go 6in/sec or sometimes less to finish out. Try 1500rpm, 6-9"/sec and FPII on a LC black.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    I was aftraid of going that slow because you hear all these stories about paint burning if you most too slow and such. I`ll give 6"/sec a try.

Maybe thats why I`m experiencing some skipping problem. I can`t seem to get the pad flat on the hood. If I do that, the rotary starts to spin around and go all over the place. I have to keep it at a very very slight angle.

But no more DACP with rotary for me. Its time for a new light polish. the 3M works great for my swirl problem (which is worse in person), but it did feel abrasive to my fingers when I was rubbing it. It`s been a nightmare

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by themightytimmah
    I think it`s the speed - 1.5ft/sec is way fast. I usually go 6in/sec or sometimes less to finish out. Try 1500rpm, 6-9"/sec and FPII on a LC black.

It`s not going to matter what speed he uses/moves working with that level of abrasives. He needs a finishing polish.

I ask again. Where are you in So Cal?
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    714 area...

I think i`m going to get myself some lighter polish then. But majority of my swirls are gone. Never have I gotten rid of swirls so fast

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think a final finishing black foam pad is going to take out 3M compounding marks. You need another step in between with a stiffer pad.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    DACP can be a royal pain in the ***. On a clean hood (no wax or sealent) it works great! When there is something on the hood, the product gums up quickly. Also, with DACP, there is a minor learning curve.

I would slow my arm speed way down. If the buffer is getting out of control, I am guessing you are putting pressure on the rotary. Let the weight of the rotary do the work (unlike a PC) and gently skim the surface. Once a rotary is up to rpm and skimming, they are very easy to control.

Post Thanks / Like
    Noting that there are a *lot* of different "rubbing compounds" from 3M, yeah...same answer here- you need a finishing polish. PI-III RC 05933 will leave an *almost* ready-to-wax finish on some paints, but I can`t get it to finish out that will by rotary (by a long shot). Even by PC/Cyclo it can be shocking how nicely a milder follow-up product improves things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    I don`t think a final finishing black foam pad is going to take out 3M compounding marks. You need another step in between with a stiffer pad.

In the pad kit that I received, there is nothing that is between the White cutting pad and the Black cutting pad. All the other pads are either stiffer than the white or softer than the black.

Quote Originally Posted by TH0001

I would slow my arm speed way down. If the buffer is getting out of control, I am guessing you are putting pressure on the rotary. Let the weight of the rotary do the work (unlike a PC) and gently skim the surface. Once a rotary is up to rpm and skimming, they are very easy to control.

I tried letting the weight of the rotary do the work, but it still goes out of a control a bit. Even the slightest tilt will make the rotary somewhat spin around. Any other suggestion on how to tackle this? Perhaps its just the product I`m using that`s making it hard? I love DACP, but only if I apply it with a PC

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Noting that there are a *lot* of different "rubbing compounds" from 3M, yeah...same answer here- you need a finishing polish. PI-III RC 05933 will leave an *almost* ready-to-wax finish on some paints, but I can`t get it to finish out that will by rotary (by a long shot). Even by PC/Cyclo it can be shocking how nicely a milder follow-up product improves things.

I`m using the rubbing compound that you can find at Walmart. I think I`m going to get myself a finishing compound. As far as I know, isn`t the PI-III more abrasive than my DACP? If so, how will that help my marring problem? Do you have any recommendation for a polish that I can apply after DACP or my current 3M?

Thank you guys for giving me input. I dont think I did *too* bad for a first time. I just need to address the final polishing stage:woohoo:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information