Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    So I am seriously considering switching from PC to rotary and having my partner use our PC with 4" pads only for the smaller areas (he`s afraid to use a rotary, but i`m sure with practice we`ll both be fine). Using a PC on an entire car is just taking to long. Yesterday I compunded and polished an MDX and I was working on it from 9:30- 3, and that`s not including the roof which was done the day before. So I need to get something better.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what rotary or pad choices I should go with? I was thinking about the Makita and I have all of the LC 6.5" pads so I would use those. Is this a good place to start? Are there any other pads that everybody likes on here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~Albert

Post Thanks / Like
    We have the Makita 9227 with the edge system. I love it. You guys sound like my partner and I, I`m the high speed guy, and he uses the PC. It takes alot of practice to get the rotary down. Do not assume you will be faster switching from PC to HS, in fact at first it will take you longer until you get comfortable using it. My advice is to pick up scrap hoods, fenders, doors, from a junk yard and practice on those. If you already have the LC pads then you can get a backer plate for the HS that will fit the 6.5" pads. Since we have the Edge system, I use the 6" pads on the HS and the PC, makes it nice to switch between the two without having to buy the 8" pads which we do have just in case we need them.

Walter

Co-owner

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Makita also and love it. MUCH more smooth and quiet than the PC for starters.

I use the 6.5" Lc pads as well. I just did a Camaro with my Makita and Four Star Body Shop polishes. It was much easier. Also I am finding the rotary to do much better with a lot of the one step products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Walter,

Do you prefer the 6" Edge pads over the 8"?

I do really like the Edge setup, seems to be pretty simple.

Would you recommend going with Edge over LC pads?

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally yes. I find them easier to control. The other benefit being that we can use the 6" on the PC`s too. We were using the LC pads for a very long time, and it took some time to decide to switch to a brand new system. There was a learning curve with the Edge system, as is with anything new. We used the LC pads until we were forced to replace them then made the jump. I will sometimes break out the 8" pads for large areas like the sides of cargo vans, but still prefer the 6" pads and taking a few more minutes to get the area done. You will see the Edge pads are about 2X more expensive on some sites, but you are getting 2 pads in 1 since you can flip it over and keep going.

The one other thing I will add with the Edge system is this: Unless you have several pads in each color there is little downtime trying to dry the PC pads once you clean them. I just pop them on the high speed and spin them dry.

Walter

Co-owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Something to keep in mind about pad size: The 8 inch pads will be moving 33% faster at the edge than the 6" pads for a given RPM and will get 33% hotter. A smaller pad will give a beginner a bit lower chance of damaging or burning the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    What about the Danse 5" CCS pads? How do they compare to the 6.5" pads or to the 6" Edge pads?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by talyrath
    Something to keep in mind about pad size: The 8 inch pads will be moving 33% faster at the edge than the 6" pads for a given RPM and will get 33% hotter. A smaller pad will give a beginner a bit lower chance of damaging or burning the paint.
    I don`t find that they get hotter because they have more mass to distribute the heat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another idea (all 8" pads) - get a yellow wool, yellow foam and blue foam. After tons of research - these are my rotary pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by talyrath

Taly, where have you read this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JuneBug
    Another idea (all 8" pads) - get a yellow wool, yellow foam and blue foam. After tons of research - these are my rotary pads.

Edge pads I assume?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ConglomrationAL
    Taly, where have you read this?
    I posted something similar a short while ago at the link below, but its just basic math that anybody can figure out.

http://autopia.org/forum/machine-pol...tml#post906143

Post Thanks / Like
    Credit for bringing wool pads to the forefront (this forum) should go to one person and one person only, which can be verified by anyone willing to take a plunge into the past for a few months!! Before this they were never mentioned except in "Scary stories" as if Dracula was about to descend into the world of detailing!!!

If anyone can tell of a greater contributer to the art/easiness of using wool pads than "David Feramoni" I would really be interested in hearing his name?

Changeling

Post Thanks / Like
    All i use on my rotary is the 6" edge2K system (only the blue pad though). I find the system itself is freakin AWSOME and the 6" size is way easier to use ESPECIALLY with cars today having such small and tight panels. I dont know how people can use 8"+ pads on todays cars.

Im soon to order Edge2K 6" blue wool and 6" green wool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling
    Credit for bringing wool pads to the forefront (this forum) should go to one person and one person only, which can be verified by anyone willing to take a plunge into the past for a few months!! Before this they were never mentioned except in "Scary stories" as if Dracula was about to descend into the world of detailing!!!

If anyone can tell of a greater contributer to the art/easiness of using wool pads than "David Feramoni" I would really be interested in hearing his name?

Changeling

I find myself paying alot of attention to his posts :hifive:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information