Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    WARNING: Do this at your own risk!

Last night I was watching a movie with a friend and about 2/3 of the way through, the disc quit working. Blockbuster was closed so there was no way we could go exchange for another copy and I didn`t want to end the night without finishing the movie.

I`ve heard of people using toothpaste before to fix discs, but I was too lazy to run upstairs to grab a tube. I first tried Klasse AIO by hand and that didn`t do anything. Since I`m not a big fan of #83 and I had some lying around I decided to give that a try.

I used a Meg`s yellow polishing pad with a PC. I dabbed a little polish onto the disc and spread it around with my finger. While sitting in a recliner, I had my PC upside, held in between with my feet, and on setting 1 started to spread the product. After the product was spread, I turned it off, bumped it up to #6 (you could probably get away with a slower setting ?), and proceeded to carefully polish the disc.

Once the polish is broken down, it should finish to a mirror shine with hardly any residue to buff off. I wiped off anything left with a mf towel, popped the movie back in the DVD player and we were able to finish the movie.

I`m not saying this is a substitute for a Disc Dr. or a disc repair system, but it worked for me when I needed it. I also wasn`t afraid of damaging Blockbuster`s disc because I had won the same movie in a contest and was planning on selling that on eBay so if some mishap were to happen, I would have just returned my movie to Blockbuster with a perfect, brand new disc.

Post Thanks / Like
    haha, that is great

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll have to try that. DACP isn`t too bad if you don`t mind going through 3943453 pads on a car.

Post Thanks / Like
    hahah that is so funny.. it makes sense tho...

Post Thanks / Like
    That does not say much for Klasse AIO
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Brasso works really well also. Dont use it on your car tho

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a similar process. Each disc has a coat of clear on there. If it gets scratched or marred, it will not be able to get picked up by the laser. So you are removing some clear where the problem is and it plays...great job.
    2005 Black Hummer H2--No More

2006 White Volvo S40

Now proud owner of a brand new 2007 SeaRay 310
    :heelclick

Post Thanks / Like
    What...no LSP ?
    2003 Porsche C4S

Post Thanks / Like
    So what movie was it?

Post Thanks / Like
    It was Van Wilder 2. The movie is fairly new (out within the last few weeks?) so the disc looked pretty good. There was a very tiny scratch I could see that didn`t look very deep and didn`t seem like it would cause any problems (I`ve seen discs way more scratched that plays perfectly fine), so I don`t know if that was the cause or if it was just bad from the manufacturer? When DVDs first came out, I used to have problems like that a lot but I haven`t experienced that in awhile for brand new discs.

This wasn`t the usual "skip to the next scene" type of DVD problem. At the 21st scene, it just locks up, and then the Playstation just says "Unable to read disc".

Post Thanks / Like
    I have saved several CDs, both music and video game and a couple DVDs using ScratchX. Put a little on a MF and polish the disc. PRESTO, problems all gone. Sometimes, it takes a couple applications. I have brought back some pretty ugly discs (kids, like to leave them laying around out of the game case)

Besides, what have you go to lose if the disc doesn`t play anyway?

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 for wlhump`s Megs process. It has saved a few of my kid`s PS2 games. I read somewhere that you can wax discs to protect the surface. Never tried it but it makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have applied a beautiful coat of Souveran to my whole collection. Great reflections!
    03 Platinum Gray VW Jetta

Mobile Detailer in Seattle

Post Thanks / Like
    You know you would think in this era and as long as CDs and DVDs have been out there there would be someone that would have invented a disc that doesnt scratch like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols
    That does not say much for Klasse AIO
    Klasse AIO is primarily a chemical cleaner; it`s not suprising that it doesn`t work well when an abrasive polish is needed.

Horses for courses . . .

Tort

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information