Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Tried out the LC 7.5" CCS pads this weekend and wasn`t very impressed with the curved pad. Absolutely love the 4" CCS pads and am now debating between a 6.5" pad or something a bit smaller to use as a primary pad. Any suggestions are welcome!

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not used the CCS pads but I use the smaller 5 inch pads with my rotary all the time. I am not a big pad fan, I like the smaller ones, they are more controllable.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used the 6.5 inch CCs pads with rotary and like them. I actually prefer the CMA CCS pads with the blue backing as they are more flexible.

Post Thanks / Like
    The reason why i`m interested in the 5.25" pads is because the lower panels of my A3 make it very difficult to use 6.5" or 7.5" pads.

The height of the area under the rub strip and before the angle is 5.5" long. I used 4" spot pads on this area, but would prefer being able to use a larger pad for more of the entire car. My hood is half covered with clearbra and the roof is mostly glass, so there are no real large flat pieces of paint to polish.

Still debating between 6.5" and 5.25" pads. Seems as if I would need to increase speed with the 5.25" pads to build the same amount of heat as the 6.5" pads.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    I just received a 6-pack of the 5.25 CCS pads, and can`t wait to try them on the PC & rotary.

p.s. -A tip of the hat to Danase service. My order was packed and I received a UPS tracking number within 1 Hour of placing my order. WOW! 2 days later I had the package.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crew219
    Seems as if I would need to increase speed with the 5.25" pads to build the same amount of heat as the 6.5" pads.

Pure speculation here as I`m no expert by a long shot but I would assume the exact opposite. Given the same RPM`s you are concentrating the energy in a smaller area with a 5.25" pad. That should translate to more aggressive polishing. That`s why you typically see people recommend a 4" pad to someone who is trying to do correction with a PC. The same concept should hold true on your rotary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mbkintner
    Pure speculation here as I`m no expert by a long shot but I would assume the exact opposite. Given the same RPM`s you are concentrating the energy in a smaller area with a 5.25" pad. That should translate to more aggressive polishing. That`s why you typically see people recommend a 4" pad to someone who is trying to do correction with a PC. The same concept should hold true on your rotary.

Different forms of movement between the rotary and the RO. At 1500rpms, I could barely get the paint warm with the 4" spot pads. The 7.5" pads created heat much quicker and of greater intensity. I apply very little pressure with the rotary.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Still debating between 6.5" and 5.25" pads. Seems as if I would need to increase speed with the 5.25" pads to build the same amount of heat as the 6.5" pads.
    Is that with rotary or PC? If with rotary yes. If with PC you would need to decrease speed. Keep also in mind CCS pads run cooler than "regular" ones to start with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC
    Is that with rotary or PC? If with rotary yes. If with PC you would need to decrease speed. Keep also in mind CCS pads run cooler than "regular" ones to start with.

Rotary. My only other concern with the danase 5.25" pads is that they`re thinner than the standard CCS pads.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    I would have to agree that the area your talking about is one of the more difficult ones on my A4 Ultrasport too.

You want to be careful whenever working around plastic painted parts (like those rub strips) when using a Rotary as they can`t take heat like the sheet metal.

Post Thanks / Like
    My only other concern with the danase 5.25" pads is that they`re thinner than the standard CCS pads.
    That was my concern too so I started thread on that subject. If you search for it you will find more info. Consensus seems to be that will not pose problems. I assume some experimenting with speeds will be needed to find just the right one.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Danase CCS pads and use on a rotary...I have played with them on a test panel so far as it is cold here to do any outside work on the cars...I bought a 4.75 in plate for them so it gives me a little buffer zone in the edges so plate does not hit stuff....they work great...the plate is flexible and the pad follows body contours fine...

I do not know about running cooler as the panel felt very warm after polishing a area...I actually ran the pads at 1200 rpm and they did great on the induced marring ....I will buy more now that I tried them..I bought 8 on the first order....greens and whites and a orange..I have a bunch of orange LC low profile pads..wanted to try the CCS one also...

Danase pads worth every penny ..work fine

Al
    2004 Ford Ranger 4x4
    Bright Red
    My PitBull Rides Shotgun

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mbkintner

you cant concentrate RPMs. larger pad at the same RPM means the outer rim has to travel a longer distance per revolution, more speed at the edge=more heat.

a PC moves the whole pad in an x-y plane, baring its own weight and resistance to the paint from slowing it down, the size of the pad would be inconsequential to the speed of the pad over the paint. and thus the heat generated. in an unperfect world, I could see a smaller pad allowing for more pressure without bogging down, and generate more heat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AL-53
    I have the Danase CCS pads and use on a rotary...I have played with them on a test panel so far as it is cold here to do any outside work on the cars...I bought a 4.75 in plate for them so it gives me a little buffer zone in the edges so plate does not hit stuff....they work great...the plate is flexible and the pad follows body contours fine...

I do not know about running cooler as the panel felt very warm after polishing a area...I actually ran the pads at 1200 rpm and they did great on the induced marring ....I will buy more now that I tried them..I bought 8 on the first order....greens and whites and a orange..I have a bunch of orange LC low profile pads..wanted to try the CCS one also...

Danase pads worth every penny ..work fine

Al

Very nice. I suppose that I would still have the option of purchasing one or two 6.5" pads if I bought the 4 3/4ths backing plate.

Did you purchase the backing plate from Danase? Don`t see it on their site.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like the 5.25" ccs pads from danase, but like al said, you have to be careful about hitting stuff with a 5" plate.

Al, did you buy a 4.75" plate or did you make yours out of your 5" plate. I remember you said you shaved the edges a little bit on your 5" BP??

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information