Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Metabo user here, this really is a quality machine, suprised they only offer a 1 year guarantee as this side of the pond they give you 3 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rydawg
    ...The dewalts are the new version of the new style black and deckers, the very old black and deckers were bullet proof (I still have one and use it) and the makita...

I still have one of those old Black & Deckers. Nice machine just heavy as all he...

ZoranC, I stand corrected on the warranty but please note that I emphasized *I* and *I* still wouldn`t spend the cash for it. The price/warranty is just one of my dislikes. I don`t care for the ON/OFF switch either. It`s one of those what you`re used to things I guess.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackElantraGT
    I`m somewhat torn between the Makita 9227 and the Hitachi. I`m ruling out the Metabo because its controls reminds me a lot like the PC`s and without having felt/used any rotory polisher in my own hands, from the looks of it I have a feeling I would prefer the trigger handle that the Makita and Hitachi has...

Good point- I have both the Metabo and the Makita, and IMO the Metabo`s lack of a trigger is quite significant. There are situations where I simply wouldn`t consider using it instead of the Makita for this reason, so if I could only have one I`d want it to be the Makita.

COncerning reliablilty, my Makita hasn`t been used all that much, but a painter I know has used his for over a dozen years with no problems at all. He says his co-workers` Makitas have held up equally well. Mike Phillips sure gives his a workout and it`s holding up well.

rydawg- Another painter I know (my "good" painter ) has an ancient Black & Decker that he just *loves*.

And the Milwaukees I used back in the day were built like tanks...heavy but I never heard of one breaking down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info accumulator. I forgot to mention the milwaukee I had too. It is built like a tank, but was on the noisy side. Had some serious rpm`s though. My old black and decker is embarrasing. It looks like it has been through world war 1 and 2. Keeps on going though, but lacks speed control. I am just gonna pick up another makita and for the prices they are well worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    But the 2200 rpm max is my downfall. On very hard severely beat clear coats I use wool and I need 3000 cranking rpm to bring out a dazzling gloss. ... I guess the only thing holding me back from the metabo is the rpm speed, but I do have some older machines to do that and only need that speed once in a while.
    I wonder is it torque or RPMs what is actually needed to deal with very hard surfaces?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoiledMan
    ZoranC, I stand corrected on the warranty but please note that I emphasized *I* and *I* still wouldn`t spend the cash for it. The price/warranty is just one of my dislikes.
    Of course, personal preference is the ultimate weighing factor in decision making progress. Neither one of us is knocking other`s personal preferences down, we are just explaining factors that drive our own. I felt it is important to give an actual scale of price difference involved and actual warranty so that future casual reader of the thread doesn`t end up missing the facts (like gentleman in few posts above did on warranty even after correction) and ends up making their own decisions solely based on personal preferences of others without knowing the facts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Both. I will sometimes do some boats and you need all the torque you can get and you also need the high rpm. On some bad hard clear coat cars I need the rpm and not so much the torque but it is nice to have it cause the machine will not work as hard. I remember I had a customer with an older mazda 626 that some detail shop did and did not take all the wax on the hood off fully and it cured in the hot sun. They tried to get it off, but had no chance and blamed it on bad paint and said it needed to be painted. I took the car and wetsanded it and I used a rotory with a wool pad and it was such a pain in the butt to do. My buffer at the time was at a friends house and I only had this cheap buffer with only 2000 rpm and it could not produce the gloss or accomplish the job. I needed all the torque and the highest rpm to restore the gloss. I got my buffer and used 3000 rpm and it finally turned into an extreme high gloss surface. It was a nightmare job and thank god it was only the hood that needed it. So the 3000 rpm saved the day and it put $100 in my pocket. I do not reccomend this speed for anyone and will NOT work with foam pads!

Post Thanks / Like
    Both.
    I enjoy to learn new thing every day and I am thankful when I am given opportunity to, so thank you. Until now I was thinking (based on responses I got around when asking would one need more than 2200 Metabo gives) that one wouldn`t need anything more than 1500. Good thing is I personally probably won`t ever need to do something like that. For those that do need it it makes decision making lil more complicated (unless they can have both and make it a win-win).

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem ZoranC. I hate to do jobs like that, but sometimes you never know. Like I said, if the metabo had more rpm`s I would buy it, cause I always get stuck with the worst jobs. Plus the extra weight of the machine is better to my benefit. I let the weight of the machine work and I do not work the machine into it. Still sounds like a great machine for my average jobs though,plus I love new style toys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC
    If your budget allows it you can get Metabo for $231.99 and free shipping.

Will the Metabo take the Edge Pad Adapter? I would like to use Edge Pads on the PC and Cyclo.
    -Dennis

My Cars

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisH
    Will the Metabo take the Edge Pad Adapter? I would like to use Edge Pads on the PC and Cyclo.
    I don`t know does Edge make adapters with rotary thread size (rotaries don`t have same thread size as PC and Cyclo do; funny thing is Cyclo is unique in a way, it uses PC thread size, but rotary nut size, but I digress) and Metabo is rotary.

Personally (and I don`t mean to start thread drift and heated disucssion here) I have strong aversion toward designs that put piece of metal pointing downward with not much between it and paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Still sounds like a great machine for my average jobs though ...
    That might be an answer to your dilemma. Personally I practice and preach two rules: "80/20" (that I modify to 95/5) and "best tool for the job", which to me means I try to optimize, if finding perfect is impossible (which it often is) and "settling down" for tool that will cover 95% of the tasks 95% of the time will make it easier on me 95% of the time then I get that and I get different tool optimized for remaining 5% of the tasks. Light machinery has it`s place. Heavy machinery has it`s too. You said you already have heavy machinery that doesn`t need replacement. Why not get light machinery as an addition, not replacement?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know does Edge make adapters with rotary thread size (rotaries don`t have same thread size as PC and Cyclo do; funny thing is Cyclo is unique in a way, it uses PC thread size, but rotary nut size, but I digress) and Metabo is rotary.

Personally (and I don`t mean to start thread drift and heated disucssion here) I have strong aversion toward designs that put piece of metal pointing downward with not much between it and paint.

Edge users (Me hah! ) will really tell you it`s impossible for the adapter to hit the paint. I find it RIDICULOUS if the adapter were to somehow break the plastic middle plate and break the surrounding foam. Of course, you have to see it and get a handle. It`s what you prefer however,

Mobile Detailing Services justin30513's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

EDGE makes a rotary adapter. 15.00 I think. I have two. The new EDGE Cyclo pads are supposed to be awesome. Perfectly balanced. I`ve had a few users tell me you can even tell it`s on! Cyclo and EDGE have actually struct a deal. EDGE pads will be coming with a Cyclo at purchase.

I`ve used the EDGE system for a year now on over 500+ cars with not a single problem. It`s a very good system.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know that the Presta pads are the same design and I think they are made by Edge. If they are the edge pads system then they are top notch then and built like a tank.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information