Kind of an experts topic here...so bare with me.

I was wondering if anyone has every had any problems polishing plastic, fiberglass, or carbon fiber painted surfaces with respect to over heating and causing the paint to shrivel (of course this applies to rotary usage)? This issue was pointed out in Brazo`s recent "A guide to rotary polishing" thread.

Personally, I have only seen issues with heavy scratch removal on bumpers - one time was on my own bumper and another was on a bumber that had been in an accident and I was trying to make look better...and both times I was using a lambwool pad aggressively (lots of pressure)...and both times I was polishing a ridge/corner of the bumper were the pressure per square inch in obviously amplified many times.

But when it comes to polishing and heavy compounding vehicles with predominently fiberglass or plastic panels (like Corvettes, Camaros, Phaetons, etc.) I don`t even change my techniques. In Brazo`s write up, he suggests making only one pass then letting it cool, but I have performed countless 3- and 4-step buffing process on the aforementioned vehicles (using high speed and heavy pressure with both wool and foam pads...typically 4 passes each step) and have never had a problem; question is...am I possibly pushing the envelope too much and thus "setting myself up for a potential disaster someday"? Or is Brazo`s advice to make only one pass and then let cool a little on the "conservative side"?