Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    So here goes. I`ve looked at the cheap crap random ortibal polishers at walmart for a good long while know. But have put off ever getting one because... well they`re crap.

I have a Tahoe and a Chrysler 300M. I`d like to get a toolthat will help with waxing/polishing/buffing.

I`ve read this forum for a good long time, looked at the guides but never really got into it all due to the risk factor of doing it myself. But its time to change.

I would like something that could possibly help with applying wax. I find it hard to work on my cars by hand. After claying, washing, drying, trying to polish, buffing, I`m too tired to wax properly. Which just means every attempt I skip steps, or dont bother at all. I`ll start at one time then run out of light, or it starts to rain, or a freak windstorm will kick up everything it can at my car.

Truthfully I find I dont enjoy cleaning my car because I never get the results I want. It simply never looks good to me. Could be becuase of all the paint problems I have. The 300m is a black car , I plan on having it professionally detailed/polished. But I would also like something for myself.

I`m not looking to buy a porter cable now. It`s simply too much tool for me right now. So I`m willing to spend $50 for the tool and some pads. What should someone with a large sedan get? What size? I see all sizes, the most common PC here has a sidehandle. What abut the dual handle ones?

I`ll probably go out and pick something at random tommorrow. Just would like some insight. As of now it will probably be the Ryobi 10" or the Black And Decker models at lowes

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    check your local Lowes store-they have the PC on clearance-prices have been from $50-$75. Also you can get a cheap RO at Big Lots for $20.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been doing my vehicles by hand for several years, and have decided to try a PC this spring. One local Lowes has a 7336 for $71, but another Lowes has (6) of them at $43. Have settled on 6" Edge system, deciding on flat or waffles. The price for an adapter and the price of each pad is relatively high, even though they are double sided. I still like the concept over the old backing plate setup.
    Patrick

05 Colorado Z85 CC 4x4

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Just to apply wax" and maybe some minor correction, you could look at getting a variable speed sander with a round Velcro backing plate. (I don`t know what brands/models are available around you.)

With the "right` pads, you might be able to get some better results as well as save your arms from wearing out.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out this post for an option in your price range.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ruffy, I`m pretty sure I recognize you from the 300M Club. Welcome!

Doing paint correction on a black car with something as inexpensive as you`re looking for is going to be a challenge, to say the least. Even with a PC you`re going to need a fair amount of patience for the job. You might be a good candidate for doing what you can with a polisher, then getting a good glaze with fillers to use under your wax to help hide some the remaining minor scratches. Non-metallic black shows marring more than any other color, but looks absolutely fantastic when it`s polished and waxed well.

You`re usually handicapped somewhat when you buy a cheap buffer because they are outfitted with a terry-cloth bonnet. You`re much better off with a foam pad and there`s a variety of those from aggressive compounding to final polish. If you get one with a 5" or 6" backing plate, you could try attaching adhesive velcro so you could use a foam pad. Pads any bigger than that and you`ll never get enough power per square inch to the paint to do any correcting. With my PC when I need to get serious I have a smaller backplate I use with a 4" pad so I can get more aggressive.

The cheapest buffers I see out there that would do any correction are rotary buffers, but of course they can burn through the paint a lot quicker if you don`t know what you`re doing. A couple examples of that would be the 6" models at Harbor Freight or the 6" Vector Waxxpro I`ve seen at Autozone. Before I had my PC I used an older Bosch RO sander, so if you find something along that line cheap enough you could consider it.

If all you want one for is applying and removing wax, then you can get by OK with one of the cheap ones, but it will be an exercise in frustration to expect to correct scratches with one of them.

P.S. Notice that the thread linked above specifically addressed cordless buffers. If that`s not what you`re needing, you`ll get more power and value with a corded model.

Post Thanks / Like
    the when and Nikota are interesting but the only problem is I wouldnt be able to find them locally. I want something I can pick up here.

The stores around me are.

Lowes(6 Miles away)

Home Depot (Closest, 2 miles away)

Big Lots (Don`t really know where these are, but they are here in georgia)

Harbor Freight (About 13 miles away)

Northern tools (Near Harbor Freight)

Lowes online is showing me these

10" Random Orbital Buffer

10" Taskforce Random Orbital. Going by what you said smaller would be better.

if they have the 7336SP in stock I`ll buy it. But I doubt it will still be in stock after the sales they had.

Agree, I dont like cordless, 20minutes runtime isnt enough for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I suppose if you are the patient conscientious type you could always start with a rotary...

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Northern Industrial Tools Sander/Polisher — 11 Amp, 7in. |Polishers + Sanders | Northern Tool + Equipment

Do be careful though..

Post Thanks / Like
    i just got this cheap 7424

TOOLS PLUS - Polisher/Sanders

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.5RS
    I suppose if you are the patient conscientious type you could always start with a rotary...

Northern Industrial Tools Sander/Polisher — 11 Amp, 7in. |Polishers + Sanders | Northern Tool + Equipment

Do be careful though..

I`m impatient when it comes to things like this and would end up burning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.5RS

Do be careful though..

anyone ever use one of these?
    2011 Winter Frost Nissan Maxima SV-Sport

2012 Black Toyota Highlander Limited

Club: Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruffy
    I`m impatient when it comes to things like this and would end up burning.
    Ahh, well thats a (very) good reason not to get one!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselMDX
    anyone ever use one of these?
    In other threads here in the past I`ve read that it bogs down easily, more so than the amp rating would indicate. I`ve heard that it`s the same as the Vector Waxxpro, but I`ve heard good things about that one, even compared to the one from HF. Do a little searching and you`ll find a few discussions of the one from HF.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Porter Cable 7424/7336 really is a pretty decent value and had decent aftermarket support for backing plates and such, but here`s a couple of cheaper possible options I found in a quick search of the Lowes site. You`d still have to spend several dollars on a pad and whatever polish you decide to use, but any of these would get you started.

Dewalt D26451K $69.97

5" Heavy Duty Random Orbit Sander Kit

Porter Cable 343K $54.00

5" H&L ROS Sander Kit

Firestorm FS3000ROS $39.97

5" Random Orbit Sander

As for a polish, there`s lots of options but a good starting point would be Optimum Compound.

Optimum Compound New Formula

It has decent working time, does a good job of correcting scratches, low dusting, finishes out well, and is a good price for 32 oz of polish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by velobard
    The Porter Cable 7424/7336 really is a pretty decent value and had decent aftermarket support for backing plates and such, but here`s a couple of cheaper possible options I found in a quick search of the Lowes site. You`d still have to spend several dollars on a pad and whatever polish you decide to use, but any of these would get you started.

Dewalt D26451K $69.97

5" Heavy Duty Random Orbit Sander Kit

Porter Cable 343K $54.00

5" H&L ROS Sander Kit

Firestorm FS3000ROS $39.97

5" Random Orbit Sander

As for a polish, there`s lots of options but a good starting point would be Optimum Compound.

Optimum Compound New Formula

It has decent working time, does a good job of correcting scratches, low dusting, finishes out well, and is a good price for 32 oz of polish.

I thought buying a random orbital sander wasen`t a good idea. They`re geared moer for sanding not polishing and are either too harsh(dont have slow start) or rpm range is too high ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information