Post Thanks / Like
    I`m new here, but I`m generally pretty good at this type of thing. I`ve never used a rotary before but I`ve read most of the tips.

The problem is that I made a pretty ******* mistake a couple of weeks ago on my car which is just over a year old (and it`s metallic/pearl black to make things worse. I must have accidentally thrown one of the towels I used to clean up some drilling and grinding metal flakes in the wash with my car washing towels. Well one of the wash towels musta picked up some fine metal shavings in the wash without me noticing. The car received a decent amount of very fine scratches and a few deeper, long scratches all over the car. It`s not as bad as you might think though (thanks to hard VW paint). Even the worse of the scratches aren`t too bad. I don`t think I can pick any of them up with my fingernail. They are pretty easily noticeable though, and in random spots on the car, so it would be hard to just pinpoint every one.

I can pick up a rotary pretty cheap from Harbor Freight Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

It looks like a half decent machine, figured I could spend more money on decent pads if I get the cheap machine. There is a store local so I can just grab it, then order some pads and some chemicals. I plan on doing some more reading, but right now the plan is just to use the same products/pads that are used in the "Guide to rotary polishing". Am I on the right track, or is there some other chemicals or anything that I should consider?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would practice on an older car to get use to the motion of buffing with a rotary buffer.

I would a micro compound to get at the scratches. You could try a heavy duty polish as well.

I have seen the"Guide to rotary polishing", and you can if you like. You can also go to a automotive paint supplier or a detail supply place to get what you need.

I can`t say enough to PRACTICE ON AN OLDER CAR , or on a old hood . Compounding is

alot different than polishing and if you do not know what you are doing you can mess up your

paint. That is why I say to practice. Good luck .Joe:buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    Having a perfessional detailer remove those scratches will cost a fraction of the amount to repair the paint after you damage it. If you haven`t used a rotary before, there`s a 99% chance you`ll damage the paint. If that`s a worthwhile gamble, go for it, if not stay away.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m gonna stay away from professional detailers, I really don`t let anybody touch my cars unless I have to. I just had a window retinted and the guy ran the blade straight across the brand new window for some reason. This kinda thing always happens when I let somebody do work on my cars. I`d rather get the hang of a rotary myself, I`m not gonna take it to a detailer everytime I have a problem. I`m not new to detailing or defect removal, or even some minor painting. I just usually do it by hand.

I did pick up a Chicago Electric rotary yesterday. I`m gonna try it out on my brothers black Cavalier first. The paints not too bad on it, but he`s the type of person to wash his car maybe once a year. Even if I did mess something up, he either wouldn`t notice or wouldn`t care. I`m not gonna mess with it till it gets warmer here anyway. In the mean time, is there any video clips or anything I could take a look at?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would stay below 1200 rpm until you get the hang of it. Make sure to keep it moving.

Post Thanks / Like
    What you need is some Meg`s #85 and a twisted wool pad, just keep the rotary moving and the speed below 1200 and you`ll get those scratches out in no time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JuneBug
    What you need is some Meg`s #85 and a twisted wool pad, just keep the rotary moving and the speed below 1200 and you`ll get those scratches out in no time!
    From what I`ve read on here, most ppl say wool pads are too aggressive. I`m still reading up, but it sounds like I should run with a cutting pad and light compound. The scratches aren`t that bad at all, so I`d rather start off on the safer side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Call up local body shops and ask about picking up scrap panels to practice on. They`re usually happy to give them to you since they have to pay to dispose of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by firegate
    Call up local body shops and ask about picking up scrap panels to practice on. They`re usually happy to give them to you since they have to pay to dispose of them.
    That`s a pretty good idea, I might try a junkyard too. It`ll give me something to do till it gets warmer out.

Thread Information