Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I decided to move to Edge pads a few months ago, and have loved them. I save up to 20 minutes per polish session from just flipping the pad instead of getting a new one or cleaning the old one. I haven`t done any major correction as all the vehicles I see are relatively marr-free.

Background... did a little mini-detail with PB`s new PwS and topped with AJT. Left town and came back. Was looking over the car and noticed some sort of residue on the rear bumper... Clay.. nothing. WD-40... nothing.... FPII on polish pad... nothing. This stuff was hard as a rock. So I got out the Edge orange and OC. Began working it in, medium pressure... no more than 15-20 pounds. Noticed the reside was starting to come off, so I kept the pressure the same and did a few more passes, on the last pass, I realized that that I was no longer polishing paint, but the bumper material.

Super awesome. I`m extatic at this point. So much that I manage to break a few things around the garage.

I slow down, get ahold of myself, and take a gander at the pad:

These might be a bit blurry.

And one more for awesemely good measure:

It seems that the pad was torn.. somehow. I`m still trying to wrap my brain around this one. I was on the edge of the bumper, but the pad was flat on the top of the surface. The pad is incredibly pliable, unlike when it was new... Its been used maybe four times. The pad material is burned like it touched the adapter, burned, then tore away from the weakened portion. The middle plate in there seemed to have gotten ahold of the paint and produced the results you see here.

So... user error? In all likelihood.

Defective pad? Perhaps.

Incredibly costly mistake? Absolutely.

Lesson learned? Yes.

Learn from me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Aaron from Edge should see this. I am shocked. This was one of biggest fears. But I won`t conclude anything until the experts see this.

Post Thanks / Like
    The single and only reason why I do NOT use Edge pads...period.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this used on a rotary, because Ive burnt paint on every car Ive used a rotary on, usually wont happen on a flat surfaces.

Looks like too much pressure compounded by pressing into a corner cavity, caused to much compression of the pad, and scorched the paint and pad.
    Hooked on Duragloss

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a PC, and what I wouldn`t think would be enough pressure to get through the pad... but as you can see, I`m wrong all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Huarache
    Just a PC, and what I wouldn`t think would be enough pressure to get through the pad... but as you can see, I`m wrong all the time.
    That sucks, I know how you must feel, I did it to my Tundra my daughters civic and my sons Jeep, I had to learn to paint its gotten so bad, recently I got a PC to stop this, I guess i better be careful. thanks for sharing this.
    Hooked on Duragloss

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, I hate to see that happen, and can understand your frustration.

Please don`t take my reply as a jab, because I`m not trying to do that at all.

This looks like an `end user error` to me. Although I don`t use Edge pads routinely, I have used them several times, and I can`t imagine you hitting the center plate, without applying excessive pressure while running the polisher down the middle of the pad.

I have several 3M wool pads for my rotary that are attached by a metal bolt, through the middle of the pad, and have never had this problem, but I`m sure I could do this, if I tried.

We`ve all made mistakes.

My point is to consider your operation/use before pointing at the manufacturer.

Fair enough?

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely fair, as you see, I mentioned that user error was the most likely culprit. I`m not pointing fingers at all. I`m honestly confused at how the pad ended up like that. All I have is that the pad was as flat on the surface as it could be, and I wasn`t applying anywhere near what I typically deem to be excessive pressure. I`ve spent hours over the scale making sure I`m around 15-20 lbs when compounding.

I don`t mean this as a jab at Edge, but this isn`t the first, or even the 20th vehicle I`ve polished. I`m no where near an expert, but I`ve got a handle on what i"m doing.

So, what this boils down to, is merely a warning for those using edge pads, not a warning to avoid them, and certainly not a plea for "Pity me, edge pads ruined my bumper."

Post Thanks / Like
    Does the center plastic `backing` piece that you connect to the edge adapter feel loose between your pads?

Post Thanks / Like
    I can`t check on that right now as the pad is in my brother`s garage where my supplies are housed until my house gets finished. I`ll check on it, but from what I remember, that piece was intact and seemed to be in good order.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! So sorry

This is one of the things I was afraid off when i was thinking about getting the edge system. I figured because i am a noob with the PC I may just make this exact kind of mistake, so I better go with the regular pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    No matter whether it was user error, pad failure, or a combo of both, so sorry to see this happen to you.

I use the edge system for the rotary and have had success so far. But still, seeing something like this scares me a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Huarache- What exactly happened here? Did the white center disc come through the pad and scrape against the paint???? If that is the case, from the pictures the damage on the bumper just looks like plastic transfer. Your pad doesn`t show any green showing me that you went through the paint.

Check out this link:

Dedication to Detail - FAQ - The Edge Buffing Pads and Polishing Pads

I remember Aaron (President of Edge) saying even if the disc were to make contact with the paint, the plastic wouldn`t damage the paint and it would wipe off...

So hopefully the disc rubbed some plastic on the bumper and you won`t need a bumper repaint.

No matter what, let Aaron know about the problem and he`ll take the pad issue into his hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mgm121499
    Does the center plastic `backing` piece that you connect to the edge adapter feel loose between your pads?
    John ,the edge E2k 6" pads are abrassive and according to Edges site cut faster at lower speeds ,but you won`t see the information posted on a sponsors site ..Many people are having problems with the pads splitting in the center just as the above picture shows..I tore up a few pieces of trim on my own vehicle where i had it taped off,also took off some pin striping.

I have used LC pads in the past with a rotory on many vehicles with no problems..I posted how abrassive the pads where to keep newbs from making the same error and received a nasty PM from Aaron..I have a right to speak of good experience as well as bad with any product i purchase,but Aaron beleives different..at the same time i purchased my pads i reffered the pads to another detailer here in chicago after a few uses he won`t use them anymore..

The Quick disconnect adapter is the only advantage i see to the E2K 6" pads..I can`t wait to try the new LC CCS..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joe.p
    John ,the edge E2k 6" pads are abrassive and according to Edges site cut faster at lower speeds ,but you won`t see the information posted on a sponsors site ..Many people are having problems with the pads splitting in the center just as the above picture shows..I tore up a few pieces of trim on my own vehicle where i had it taped off,also took off some pin striping.

I have used LC pads in the past with a rotory on many vehicles with no problems..I posted how abrassive the pads where to keep newbs from making the same error and received a nasty PM from Aaron..I have a right to speak of good experience as well as bad with any product i purchase,but Aaron beleives different..at the same time i purchased my pads i reffered the pads to another detailer here in chicago after a few uses he won`t use them anymore..

The Quick disconnect adapter is the only advantage i see to the E2K 6" pads..I can`t wait to try the new LC CCS..

Yikes, Sorry to hear that Joe!

Lets hope the folks at `The Edge` see this and correct the situation(s).

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information