Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not a smart move to OC and edge orange a bumper

They have thinner paint again than on the rest of the car.

Highest I go is 2000 grit and never a cutting pad. I don`t care if I don`t get every mark out, I have burnt through a bumpers paint (spare one so no dramas) with just the heat of the buff before finishing one pass with VM. They are extremely heat sensitive.
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SVR
    Not a smart move to OC and edge orange a bumper

They have thinner paint again than on the rest of the car.

Highest I go is 2000 grit and never a cutting pad. I don`t care if I don`t get every mark out, I have burnt through a bumpers paint (spare one so no dramas) with just the heat of the buff before finishing one pass with VM. They are extremely heat sensitive.

I agree extra care should be taken with bumpers, and perhaps it wasn`t the right combo, but it`s still a bit scary the pad failed like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Edge Orange is a light cut pad and OC isn`t really that aggressive from my experience. It wasn`t just the pad that caused the error. I can`t look at the pad as its at my brother`s house right, now.. however I`ll look and make sure the center plate has paint on it before I confirm it or the adapter caused damage.

I`m sure Aaron won`t have a problem with this, this should just prevent others from making similiar mistakes. It seems to be an isolated problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Huarache
    Edge Orange is a light cut pad and OC isn`t really that aggressive from my experience. It wasn`t just the pad that caused the error. I can`t look at the pad as its at my brother`s house right, now.. however I`ll look and make sure the center plate has paint on it before I confirm it or the adapter caused damage.

I`m sure Aaron won`t have a problem with this, this should just prevent others from making similiar mistakes. It seems to be an isolated problem.

This I don`t agree with and is why I don`t have the orange pad labeled on aggressiveness on my site. I have seen it advertised as a light and as a heavy. MY opinion is it is a heavy cut.

Sorry about your bad experience.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Danase
    This I don`t agree with and is why I don`t have the orange pad labeled on aggressiveness on my site. I have seen it advertised as a light and as a heavy. MY opinion is it is a heavy cut.

This is another good reason why people suggest that all pads should conform to the same color coding (which of course will never happen). It certainly can be confusing and is maybe something we should think about when throwing around statements concerning pads of certain colors that new members (please, I`m not directing this at the OP, just making a general observation) don`t get confused. IIRC some of the Edge colors/cuts are completely opposite most of the other pad color schemes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Huarache

You still didn`t say whether it is plastic from the center disc and not a deep scratch??

If you look at the link I posted last night, it is impossible for the adaptor to touch the paint because of the plastic disc/collar. But even if the plastic did happen to touch (because of the rounded bumper and the slash put together) the plastic was designed to not damage the paint.

Also guys, if this was done with "too harsh of a pad" where is the paint transfer?? There should be some paint transfer left on the pad, don`t you think??? The pad is still nice and orange and the only color is where the tear is and that couldn`t be paint in just that 1/2" area...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    This is another good reason why people suggest that all pads should conform to the same color coding (which of course will never happen). It certainly can be confusing and is maybe something we should think about when throwing around statements concerning pads of certain colors that new members (please, I`m not directing this at the OP, just making a general observation) don`t get confused. IIRC some of the Edge colors/cuts are completely opposite most of the other pad color schemes.

It annoys me to no end when people start new threads (specially C&B section) stating the color of the pads they use/d but make no mention of the manufacturer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by budman3
    You still didn`t say whether it is plastic from the center disc and not a deep scratch??

If you look at the link I posted last night, it is impossible for the adaptor to touch the paint because of the plastic disc/collar. But even if the plastic did happen to touch (because of the rounded bumper and the slash put together) the plastic was designed to not damage the paint.

Also guys, if this was done with "too harsh of a pad" where is the paint transfer?? There should be some paint transfer left on the pad, don`t you think??? The pad is still nice and orange and the only color is where the tear is and that couldn`t be paint in just that 1/2" area...

That is paint in that very small tear area.

It is a deep scratch.. not just pastic from the disc. And the adapter did touch the paint, there was some paint flecks on the adapter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mgm121499
    Yikes, Sorry to hear that Joe!

Lets hope the folks at `The Edge` see this and correct the situation(s).
    John,he did offer me to give him a call ,I didn`t like the tone of his email esp from someone who is known on the boards to offer good CS, i`ll eat the $100 and move on too the New LC pads..

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! That is terrible and I`m really sorry to see that happened. Last year a Lake Country product damaged my car (caused by a manufacturing defect not user error IMO). So, I can empathize with your situation.

After the Lake Country fiasco occured I switched to Edge pads and have had no problems what so ever. I`ve also spoken with Aaron several times on the phone or by email when I`ve had product questions. He`s been nothing but polite and helpful to me. In fact, I complained to him several times about the fact that Edge does not make 4" pads. So, he sent me a set of pre-production 4" pads.

Like other people have suggested I think you should give Edge a call. They can help you figure out what went wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like you held the machine in one place too long.....thats what happened with me the first time when i burned paint but it was not nearly as close as that i just made the paint or plastic (whatever it was) turn yellow but it was a nickel size and it didnt do nothing to my edge pad....

sorry about that malfunction with your pad but you did burn alot so i expect the pad got real hot and the foam just went BYE-BYE.....

dont blame it on the pads they are great.....
    Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt...:grrr

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Call Aaron-he replaced one of their velcro backed pads when it seperated on me. This is a situation that wether it`s user error or a manufacturers issue should be discussed so it doesn`t occur again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ca8680
    It looks like you held the machine in one place too long.....thats what happened with me the first time when i burned paint but it was not nearly as close as that i just made the paint or plastic (whatever it was) turn yellow but it was a nickel size and it didnt do nothing to my edge pad....

sorry about that malfunction with your pad but you did burn alot so i expect the pad got real hot and the foam just went BYE-BYE.....

dont blame it on the pads they are great.....

Allrigh.... machine was not held in place at all. I didn`t burn the paint here and haven`t burned paint. It was removed through some sort of friction either with the plate or the adpater. As you can see from the pad, its only black in the rip.. the black being the paint... No burning.

And I`m not soley blaming the pads, user error has been admitted as part of the problem.

I`m calling Aaron on Monday to try to work this through. I have no doubt that Edge will talk me through this and help me out in any way they can. No knocks on Edge here at all.

We can agree to disagree about whether or not the paint "burned"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joe.p
    John,he did offer me to give him a call ,I didn`t like the tone of his email esp from someone who is known on the boards to offer good CS, i`ll eat the $100 and move on too the New LC pads..

Joe, Sorry to hear that.

LC pads have never failed me, so I`ve never strayed to far from them (but have tried many other brands)

You will LOVE the CCS pads -especially on your rotary. Stay in touch.

Post Thanks / Like
    1. No I haven`t gotten a quote to fix it yet, studying for the CPA exam takes precedence over everything else at this point.

2. I talked extensively with Aaron about the situation and they are committed to making sure that everything is resolved. There is going to be some further testing to see if we can replicate the situation on the same bumper in order to figure out exactly what happened. That won`t take place for a while, so I`ll have to hold tight.

3. I`m more than impressed with Edge`s dedication to making things right, with no consideration of fault. Not once did Aaron imply that this was my fault or that I was using the machine improperly, which was very big of them...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information