Post Thanks / Like
    for christmas my parents bought me a new cyclo polisher, im very excited to use it! My brother is getting a 328xi coupe in 3 weeks, and i would like to be alright using it by then, so i dont have the dealer swirls written all over it right when he brings it home! I have plenty of polishes and waxes and compounds(poorboys, DP, optimum, p21s, souveran, etc) any advice of what i should get started on? I was thining of just trying to use it on my brothers jeep grand cherokee because hes getting rid of it real soon. Are they hard to use? I am pretty well experienced with detailing, but not experienced with machine detailing. Should i just be careful and give it a go? Thanks guys, i have learned so much the past year on this website.

Brendan

Post Thanks / Like
    Practice on something that does not matter.

I have used it in the past and would not worry, but I have many years with machine buffing so it came easy to me. For a first timer... Practice, just practice.
    Rob.

Post Thanks / Like
    odonnellb- Congrats on the Cyclo, it`s a great piece of equipment.

IMO you`ll be fine practicing on most anything. Whenever I`ve coached newbies with one they`re up to speed in a matter of minutes and they don`t ever really need any input from me.

Some thoughts: Center the pads so they don`t rub together *too* much (they probably will rub a little). Don`t use too much product and remember to clean/change pads after a while as the little pads do load up. Keep the obvious stuff in mind and be gentle on crown lines, edges, corners, etc. where the paint might be thin. Keep the pads in contact with the paint when you turn it on so it doesn`t sling product everywhere. Don`t overwork the product to where it dries and watch for dried out product on the pads too (this gets back to the inspect/clean/change pads thing). Some products (e.g., AIO) just don`t work well by Cyclo but those aren`t the norm. Generally, a long work time is beneficial.

I predict that you`ll find it very easy to handle; I frequently use mine one-handed. My father was in his late seventies/early eighties before I convinced him to start using one ("come on Dad, help me out here, you do that side...") and he found it very easy. Go polish something, you`ll soon see just how user-friendly it really is

Oh, and waxing by Cyclo is one of my favorite detailing processes, I genuinely enjoy doing it. You might look into some MF bonnets to buff the wax *off* too (use them over foam pads, not wool, works better).

Seriously, go use it on something and don`t worry about messing up (just use common sense). You`ll do fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator`s instructions are excellent. While I, too, just recieved my new Cyclo for Christmas, I have used DA sanders to polish for years.

What I`ve been told about the Cyclo is that it works much faster than the Porter Cable and is a much more comfortable machine to use. I purchased mine to use for final finishing (when needed) only, since I do everything else possible with the rotary.

Accumulator, I do have to thank you for the comments you`ve made here about the machine. You are one of the sources I`ve read repeatedly when considering the purchase. If everywhere I worked had a great compressor to run my DA sander, I might not have ever switched to a Cyclo. However, being stuck with using the PC made me search for something better. It`s a great sander and is a good machine for the tight areas, but has major limitations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PRB
    If everywhere I worked had a great compressor to run my DA sander, I might not have ever switched to a Cyclo..

Heh heh, and then there`re always the air-powered Cyclos

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Heh heh, and then there`re always the air-powered Cyclos

Yes, I saw that, but I`ve never been much for having the air hose hangin` around while I run a polisher. DA...not such an issue, probably since it`s the only way to run it

Electric cords hang over my shoulder much easier, I suppose.

Now I have to decide on 4" pads for this beast and put it to work.

Post Thanks / Like
    PRB- yeah, I hear you about the air hose, used to drive me nuts when I had to use an air-powered D/A in the body shop all those years ago.

I still use Cyclo brand pads more than any others, but that might be a case of old habits dying hard. The blue Sonus pads *are* nice and I`m gonna try using their white ones one of these days. I just don`t care for the LC ones with their recessed centers but others like `em just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Propel Turbo 4" pads are also very nice, plus they are thicker and seem to compress enough to follow body contours better than the Cyclo brand pads.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    The Propel Turbo 4" pads ..are thicker and seem to compress enough to follow body contours better than the Cyclo brand pads.

Ah, I oughta look into those. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    The Propel Turbo 4" pads are also very nice, plus they are thicker and seem to compress enough to follow body contours better than the Cyclo brand pads.

Now and then I see people mention that brand, but I don`t see anyone who sells them. Know a good source?

The reason I have the Cyclo is for final finishing. I currently use Meguiar`s pads, normally W8006, sometimes W9006. Is there a comparable Propel foam?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    I just don`t care for the LC ones with their recessed centers but others like `em just fine.

I`ve found so few Lake Country pads that look appealing. The ones I used years ago were mediocre at best. People say they are a lot better now...Meguiar`s quality seems to continue sliding...maybe LC deserves another look.

I thought those were the ones I`d try in 4" until I read they were not truly flat. I`ve emailed a few vendors to see about true FLAT 4". They do make flat 6.5" that I might try, also. I like my pads to match.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PRB
    Now and then I see people mention that brand, but I don`t see anyone who sells them. Know a good source?.......
    Erasure 4^^ Turbo Pads
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Cyclo 4 inch pads and accessories at Autogeek + 20% off with coupon code SANTA20 on orders until Dec 31 midnight.

Cyclo Orbital Polisher - The Cyclo Dual Head Polisher

Thread Information