Post Thanks / Like
    I`m going to buy a 9227 in the near future. I have a PC and 5 of each flavor Lake County 6.5" pad. I do NOT want to buy and bunch of pads for the Makita, I have read somewhere, maybe here, that you can use 6.5 on a rotary. Problem is - what size and where can you get it - backing plate do I get?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JuneBug
    I`m going to buy a 9227 in the near future. I have a PC and 5 of each flavor Lake County 6.5" pad. I do NOT want to buy and bunch of pads for the Makita, I have read somewhere, maybe here, that you can use 6.5 on a rotary. Problem is - what size and where can you get it - backing plate do I get?
    Autogeek sells a 4 3/4" BP for a rotary that you can use with your 6.5" pads:

http://www.autogeek.net/5-inch-rotary-plate.html
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you sir! I`ll git r done with the Geek. BTW - anybody else doing 6.5" pads on a rotary? What I`m hinting at is - am I about to mess up? or is this OK, need the reassurance, having a bad day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JuneBug
    Thank you sir! I`ll git r done with the Geek. BTW - anybody else doing 6.5" pads on a rotary? What I`m hinting at is - am I about to mess up? or is this OK, need the reassurance, having a bad day!
    I don`t use a rotary very often, but when I do I use a 5" BP and the same pads I use with the PC. Just be careful and start out using slow speeds on a junk panel or a beater. While it is possible, and sometimes even easy, to damage paint with a rotary a little bit of caution and common sense goes a long way.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of guys use 6.5†pads with the rotary (me included). They’re easier to maneuver over compound curves and through tight contours but they don’t’ cover as much area as fast. It’s a personal preference.

5†backing plates are commonly available. Meguiar’s plates have a centering “button,†Lake Country’s have a hole for using a centering dowel.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks fellas, looks like I can use 4 3/4 or 5" and be safe! I just didn`t think I could spend anymore money on pads. I bought the mega pak Autogeek was selling a few months back.

Post Thanks / Like
    I put a 6" LC backplate on my Hitachi, seems to work fine with the 6.5 LC Pads..... :heelclick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick questions for those who have the Makita. Does it come with a locking-nut wrench? The flat wrench that come with PC`s so you can easily take the BP off and on. If it doesn`t, how do you guys get the backing plate off?

Post Thanks / Like
    It has a button to lock the shaft and you can unscrew the backing plate. I`ve used my Makita a bunch since my first post - I think there will be some 8" Edge waffle pads in my future!

Thread Information