Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve heard from a number of people that have had problems polishing paint and removing polishes on `06 black BMW`s. I started this thread to compile the complaints as well as hear the success stories and what you used to succeed. Thoughts?
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    what do you mean? Can you explain?

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I`m hearing they`re difficult to finish and when you do finish well, the removal of polish mars the paint.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks! Another reason to charge more

Post Thanks / Like
    Hrm. I`ve done three 330i`s in black, two flat black one metallic. I did not have this issue on any of them. I did notice the paint was rather soft, but not nearly as soft as my Infiniti or many cars I`ve done (Honda`s, for example). I don`t recall the exact processes used but I know on one flat black I went Hi Temp HC/orange @1500 then 106FF grey @1300 to LSP, no micromarring. The other two were PC only, just light marring.. pretty sure it was FPII/white or something similar on both. No issues with polish removal.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oddly enough, #80 seems to work pretty well, everything else I`ve tried(no access to Menzerna so can`t comment on it) seems to leave marring. Also try to use your best towels as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Picus
    Hrm. I`ve done three 330i`s in black, two flat black one metallic. I did not have this issue on any of them. I did notice the paint was rather soft, but not nearly as soft as my Infiniti or many cars I`ve done (Honda`s, for example). I don`t recall the exact processes used but I know on one flat black I went Hi Temp HC/orange @1500 then 106FF grey @1300 to LSP, no micromarring. The other two were PC only, just light marring.. pretty sure it was FPII/white or something similar on both. No issues with polish removal.

What`s that? It`s NOT as soft as Honda paint? If that`s the case it`s a non issue. I`ve got that stuff down pat!
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gbackus
    Oddly enough, #80 seems to work pretty well, everything else I`ve tried(no access to Menzerna so can`t comment on it) seems to leave marring. Also try to use your best towels as well.

George, I`ll try to burn that into my mental rolodex if I find myself having any trouble with one. I did an `05 last week that was black and oddly enough would only finish with the rotary, finishing pad and 85RD. Nothing else would work but I had no problem with removal no matter what towel I used.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm.. Im going to be working on a 06 BMW on friday.. hopefully I dont have any issues, Ill report back. Not black.. but a darker blue/grey color.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoiledMan
    From what I`m hearing they`re difficult to finish and when you do finish well, the removal of polish mars the paint.

I have had it happen to me--even the softest MF that I have (the blue attntodetails ultra plush) marred upon removal. To date, it was the softest paint that I have encountered. On this BMW, it made Honda paint seem like cermiclear. I tried everything, the HT products would finish down, as would the 3M and Menzerna, but IMO the paint was so soft that there was need to put a rotary on it--he only had light marring. Oddly enough, I ended up using #80 via PC with a polishing pad, which *never* finishes down correctly via PC on soft paints for me. I advised the owner to trade it in--it was that soft.
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    Whoa, it sounds like the paint hardness is all over the place. Joe, do you have a Cyclo?
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoiledMan
    Whoa, it sounds like the paint hardness is all over the place. Joe, do you have a Cyclo?

Yep, but I didn`t try it because speed glaze worked (speed glaze doen`t like the cyclo IME). The paint was so soft that I really could not believe it.

I still can`t figure out why the #80 worked??? Typically on soft paint I get *extreme* micromarring when using #80 via PC.
    Word of Mouth Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Were you in the sun?

#80 may have worked because it may have filled in some of the micromarring. I dunno. I did another carbon black (dark blue/black), `06 550i yesterday and the paint seemed about average in hardness to me.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Picus
    Were you in the sun?

#80 may have worked because it may have filled in some of the micromarring. I dunno. I did another carbon black (dark blue/black), `06 550i yesterday and the paint seemed about average in hardness to me.

Nope, in the garage. I find that when using #80 on soft paint, the area polished looks *worse* than the area where the maring is. This being the case, it`s not that it is filling but rather dulling the paint with thousands of small microscratches that is the problem. Does that make sense? I have no ide why it worked here, but it did. This paint was so soft that even with the softest MF and only the weight of the MF on the paint--it would mar. I used copious amounts of QD to remove polish residue and it stilled marred the paint upon removal.

I have also detailed (twice now) a 2006 M3 where the paint was average. :nixweiss
    Word of Mouth Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Did a blue `06 BMW a month or so ago - because it was blue I thought I`d be able to cruise at 1500 rpms with the green P2 and 106FF, but I could see trace halograms so I really had to slow things down and ease up on the pressure to get her to finish down. This tells me the paint was quite soft.

Funny thing about the black Honda paint...even though it is soft for sure (usually I get quite a bit of marring just by claying (remember I always have rust to pull off)) it actually is not hard to finish down on with a rotary.

Last thing to consider...we must keep in mind that there are huge variances from plant to plant and they are constantly switching brands when a cheaper deal comes along...anything to cut costs by 50 cents per car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information