Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn`t this the paint that is supposed to be resistent to rock chips so they made it super soft?
    Phoenix & Scottsdale Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Ya, I agree RAG - I consider Honda paint soft, but not hard to work on. In fact, I really enjoy working on it. I just did an `06 civic that finished down wonderfully with 106ff on a white via PC. The only paints I`ve consitently had trouble finishing down clean on are black Infiniti`s.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ebpcivicsi
    This paint was so soft that even with the softest MF and only the weight of the MF on the paint--it would mar. I used copious amounts of QD to remove polish residue and it stilled marred the paint upon removal.

I have also detailed (twice now) a 2006 M3 where the paint was average. :nixweiss

Sounds like a problem I had with a repainted VW Jetta, black. Turns out the detergent I was using to wash my MF`s had a "Scent", which really is just fabric softener residue... So I switched my MF soap and I haven`t had a problem since!

Post Thanks / Like
    Amen. Man I like your thinking. I`ve had a mixed bag with black Audi`s, but the toughest two vehicles I have ever done in regards to finishing down on were black Audis - I`ll never forget, cause I was having a heck of a time and the PC was leaving substantial micro-marrinig.

And I too just did an `06 civic...it was it 90% condition when it came to me, and when it left there wasn`t a trace line or swirl anywhere (best I`d ever done).

Quote Originally Posted by Picus
    Ya, I agree RAG - I consider Honda paint soft, but not hard to work on. In fact, I really enjoy working on it. I just did an `06 civic that finished down wonderfully with 106ff on a white via PC. The only paints I`ve consitently had trouble finishing down clean on are black Infiniti`s.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with ebpcivicsi, I really find the paint finiky. A Black 06` 330xi nearly killed me-I ended up polishing the hood with OHC to remove swirls(via PC) then repolished it 3 times with FPII to remove the marring I induced while removing the polish. Doesn`t correct as easily as one might think, either. My mother has an 06` BMW X3 in black that is an absolute b**** to maintain, I don`t even wash it that much anymore because of how easily it is marred. Horrible, horrible paint, IMO. BMW should take the hint from the rest of the German`s and put some(much) harder clear on their cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpyDetailing
    Sounds like a problem I had with a repainted VW Jetta, black. Turns out the detergent I was using to wash my MF`s had a "Scent", which really is just fabric softener residue... So I switched my MF soap and I haven`t had a problem since!

I use Tide FREE--this paint was like soft butter.
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    BMW`s black paint is less finicky than Infiniti or Porsche. Usually either Optimum and 106/RMG or DACP and #80 work out just fine for me.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Picus
    The only paints I`ve consitently had trouble finishing down clean on are black Infiniti`s.

You and me both.

106FF/RMG and Prime Carnauba seem to work the best.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    If #80 is marring why not step down to #82 or #9? #80 does a great job of leaving a ready for LSP finish on most cars but Meg`s still makes much lighter polishes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason M
    If #80 is marring why not step down to #82 or #9? #80 does a great job of leaving a ready for LSP finish on most cars but Meg`s still makes much lighter polishes.

I can`t use #82, it just doesn`t work for--especially via PC--glue city. I can make #9 work, but it doesn`t do any real correction.

Now I learned onthe Meguiars 80`s series of polishes, and still use them on ocassion, but truth be told--they need an update. There are products out now that do *three times* the correction, finish down better, *AND* are easier to use(they are also cheaper). IMO, Meguiars needs to update the polishes, work on ease of use, or bring out a new line all together.

<-------------Hopes the big announcement is something along those lines.
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    You and me both.

106FF/RMG and Prime Carnauba seem to work the best.

That makes three of us. Infiniti really needs to work on their paint...it`s a nightmare to maintain and correct. They need to go with Lexus` new SS paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ebpcivicsi
    I can`t use #82, it just doesn`t work for--especially via PC--glue city. I can make #9 work, but it doesn`t do any real correction.

Now I learned onthe Meguiars 80`s series of polishes, and still use them on ocassion, but truth be told--they need an update. There are products out now that do *three times* the correction, finish down better, *AND* are easier to use(they are also cheaper). IMO, Meguiars needs to update the polishes, work on ease of use, or bring out a new line all together.

<-------------Hopes the big announcement is something along those lines.

Hear hear. Meguiars has fallen far behind...but most of their products are sold OTC...so it probably doesn`t affect them too much (at least in the short term).

Post Thanks / Like
    Meguiars NXT line is their new stuff... But it doesn`t have anything usable!!!

They need to develop an NXT line of polishes too :rules:

Post Thanks / Like
    I had some troubles with an 06 black 750i. It is only a few months old, but with some light swirling, so I went at it with a white pad on the rotary at 1200 rpm with Optimum polish. It didn`t seem to do much for the swirls. I know I wasn`t marring with my MF towels because the swirls were non directional so they were the ones originally in the paint when I received it. I figured the paint was quite hard, which seems to go agianst what I`m reading here. What the heck!
    Jed Bouscal

Mobile Reflections, Calgary

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems like the newer, bangled BMW`s are the ones with the finiky black paint. The older ones are pretty hard and not easy to correct. I am working on a 2000 Black Metallic Z3 and the deeper marring won`t budge....even with my old standby OHC.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information