Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been back and forth between the Edge2000 pads and the regular propel pads. I don`t have the backing plate yet so this is the time to decide. I`ve found the Propel pads for around $7 each compared to $17 each for the Edge. So my question is whether the Edge 2000 system is that much nicer than the hook and loop system. I can get 3 Edge pads and the quick connect for around $70 or 8 propel pads and the backing plate for around $70.

Also, I`m going to give Meguiars 80 a try for possible one step polishes and SSR2.5 when 2 steps might be needed. Would 80 be good to remove any haze or marks that SSR2.5 might use? I don`t really want to use the DACP since it has a reputation for being a pain in application/removal.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    well I have 3 sets of edge 2000 pads.

My only complaint is on the blue and white finish pads. and it is thus.

after about 3 cars the mounting hardware makes the pads fit a bit sloppy. IE there is a little ball on the chuck, this ball ossilates in the pad bracket. Eventually it widens the seat for the pad bracket, allowing the chuck to extend past where it should. Now with the yellow, orange, green pads. the pads themselves are dense enough to keep you from dinging a car.

However the blue and white pads are very very soft, and if you misstep, bump, sneeze you have the oportunity to actually cause some segnificant damage. While i have not actually cause the damage to a car, I have seen photo`s from another local detailer who has seen the damage. For chitz and giggles I tested it out on my garge door, Sure enough. with a tad too much pressure you will cause some dinging.

How did i solve that.? I am extremely carefull when polishing, i keep my work area clean, I keep my cords in line, I put a small bit of foam applicator pad stuffed in the cuck area of my blue and white finishing pads.

keep in mind edge pads are double sided. So 3 pads is actually 6 pads not 3.
    my trailer part 1

my trailer part 2

3 Layers Of GlossAuto Detail

~Aaron

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, that`s true. But I`m also paying for 2 pads if I only need to order one in the future. Have you ever used the propel pads? I`ve heard a lot of great things about the Propel Version 2 pads but not much on the regular Propel`s. I`d imagine they`re still really good since I`ve heard nothing but positive comments about the LC pads in general.

Edit: Are the propel pads LC pads or am I wrong on that one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Everybody likes a product for one reasons or another , the best way to see if you like either pad is to try them out . A good way to try out different pads is getting together with someone in your area . Post over in the Regional forum and see if you have anyone close by .

Grouse it sounds like you have one of the older adapters , what your saying should not be happening give Edge a call . Also if you would like a stiffer blue pad get one out of durafoam , its not as soft as the white pads.

GSR where are you from , if your somewhat local to me I would more then happy to let you check out some Edge pads.
    Good things are not cheap, and cheap things are seldom good !

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m in Missouri, but thanks for the offer. I went ahead and ordered the Propel stuff. It just seemed like too good of a deal. I got the 5" backing plate, 1 orange, 3 green, 2 blue, and a bottle of SSR2.5. I`ll probably be getting some 80 too. Can`t wait to get this stuff and try to buff some oxidation out of my wifes car and some swrils out of my father-in-laws truck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollman
    Everybody likes a product for one reasons or another , the best way to see if you like either pad is to try them out . A good way to try out different pads is getting together with someone in your area . Post over in the Regional forum and see if you have anyone close by .

Grouse it sounds like you have one of the older adapters , what your saying should not be happening give Edge a call . Also if you would like a stiffer blue pad get one out of durafoam , its not as soft as the white pads.

GSR where are you from , if your somewhat local to me I would more then happy to let you check out some Edge pads.

As far as the pads they finishing pads are great. To do any damage you have to compress the pad all the way down. So it either has to be deliberate or a bad accident. I have the chrome chuck. it happens. as the pads age it begins to wear.
    my trailer part 1

my trailer part 2

~Aaron

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grouse
    after about 3 cars the mounting hardware makes the pads fit a bit sloppy. IE there is a little ball on the chuck, this ball ossilates in the pad bracket. Eventually it widens the seat for the pad bracket, allowing the chuck to extend past where it should. Now with the yellow, orange, green pads. the pads themselves are dense enough to keep you from dinging a car.

However the blue and white pads are very very soft, and if you misstep, bump, sneeze you have the oportunity to actually cause some segnificant damage. While i have not actually cause the damage to a car, I have seen photo`s from another local detailer who has seen the damage. For chitz and giggles I tested it out on my garge door, Sure enough. with a tad too much pressure you will cause some dinging.

I don`t know if you have an older set of pads, but if you take a look at the cross section picture of an Edge 2000 pad on Edgepads.com you can see this is not really possible. There is a "shoulder" on the plastic disc in the middle of the pad which butts up against the "shoulder" on the adapter. This prevents the adapter from sliding through the hole in the middle. The little balls on the adapter just keep it from backing out not from going through. It is possible however to hit the plastic disc on the car under the right circumstances, but the plastic (according to Aaron at Edge) is designed to only leave a slight mark which should easily buff out. Bottom line though is if you`re having a problem with your Edge pads contact Aaron and he will take care of you. As far as pad manufacturers go he stands behind his products more than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by CleanGSR
    I went ahead and ordered the Propel stuff. It just seemed like too good of a deal. I got the 5" backing plate, 1 orange, 3 green, 2 blue, and a bottle of SSR2.5. I`ll probably be getting some 80 too.
    Honestly, I think you would have liked the Edge pads better. I`ve never used Propel pads, but I have previously used other brands of velcro backed pads and I can say 100% that I am very glad I made the switch. It`s great being able to quickly flip the pad if it gets gummed up or if I want to switch polishes. Plus, the automatic centering of the pads causes the machine to vibrate much less than with velcro pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyc
    I don`t know if you have an older set of pads, but if you take a look at the cross section picture of an Edge 2000 pad on Edgepads.com you can see this is not really possible. There is a "shoulder" on the plastic disc in the middle of the pad which butts up against the "shoulder" on the adapter. This prevents the adapter from sliding through the hole in the middle. The little balls on the adapter just keep it from backing out not from going through. It is possible however to hit the plastic disc on the car under the right circumstances, but the plastic (according to Aaron at Edge) is designed to only leave a slight mark which should easily buff out. Bottom line though is if you`re having a problem with your Edge pads contact Aaron and he will take care of you. As far as pad manufacturers go he stands behind his products more than anyone else.

I see what you are saying, that being given it is one of the two, I will fire off an email after i see if i can get it reproduced to the point i can catch it with my camera.

I think you are right that it is likely the plastic disk that is capable of causing it. Like i said I know what the issue is, and it has to be a near deliberate attempt to have it happen. It find it similar to tilting velco pads. It`s simply something to be forewarned about. Not that it is a failure on the part of the product. Of which i have 3 sets of, so i must like it enough to buy replacements.
    my trailer part 1

my trailer part 2

~Aaron

Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully I won`t regret my decision. I like the look of the propel pads because they dip down where the velcro goes so it looks like it will be easier to center the pad. If I`m not happy with the propel pads, I`ll probably give the edge pads a shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t have the Edge pads, but I do have the Propel pads and haven`t had any problems with them. The depression in the backing does make centering pretty easy. I also picked up a couple of the Orange Propel II pads earlier this summer but haven`t had an opportunity to use them yet.

In regards to Megs 80 removing anything that SSR 2.5 may leave behind, it should. After all, it`s slightly more abrasive than SSR 1 according to this abrasives list.
    Tom, 2013 Nissan Altima 3.5SL

Post Thanks / Like
    my guess is that you saw the pads on exceldetail....if so, i would highly recommend the erasure pads with a 6" packing plate....I switched to his setup and i like it a lot more than the meguiars pad system....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grouse

How did i solve that.? I am extremely carefull when polishing, i keep my work area clean, I keep my cords in line, I put a small bit of foam applicator pad stuffed in the cuck area of my blue and white finishing pads.

Good idea.. never thought of that. I just got my E2K pads this week and havent used them yet. IMO Edge should offer "plugs" of the same pad material to put between the chuck and paint surface. I have a tendancy to use too much pressure and it would be a nice piece of mind. :waxing:

Thread Information