Post Thanks / Like
    i just completed the black 1999 isuzu rodeo i posted about yesterday:

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=76558

from the pics i have in the previous thread, i thought that i was doing very well, considering the state of the clear coat, general condition and lack of upkeep on the paint, etc. the problem i had with this one was not really swirls...it was just tons of scratches and marring all over. some of the scratches were obviously too deep and i knew i couldn`t touch them with a PC. there were plenty that i could not feel though...yet remained after multiple tries with:

DACP w/ orange LC...tried speeds 5...6...various pressure, etc.

ssr-2.5 w/ orange LC...same as above.

what i`ve found is i really do not like using speed 6 with a 5" backplate and 6.5" pad. too much vibration. a few of my pads are also show signs of "cookie cutter" syndrome. not bad, but slightly...and i don`t want to make it worse.

i`m guessing this is where a better polish (OHC?) would come in...and/or a yellow cutting pad, rather than fighting with an orange?

btw...i`m waiting for a delivery w/ OP/OC/OHC and also a yellow cutting pad. that should give me more flexibility with this kind of thing i hope.

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, I found the Orange pad removed MORE scratches and swirls than the Yellow, yet it had NO micromarring afterwards... Whereas the yellow pad left TONS of little hairline micromarring.

This was with OHC. Definitly get some OHC. OHC + Orange pad + 6" Backing plate + Speed 6 = Wonderful results!

I`m currently using a 6.5" pad on a 5" backing plate, and I notice only the middle 5" of the pad get dirty, the outsides sortof fold around the backing plate... Definitly not what I want!

Picking up a 6" backing plate ASAP :lock:

Swirlmarks got nothing on dirty wash mitt scratches :waxing:

Post Thanks / Like
    good point...i need a 6" backplate ASAP. i have a few 5.5" pads...so i`d like them to die beforehand. hehe

on my wish list is a 3" or whatever size backplate to use with 4" pads too. i`ve had too many hard to reach areas, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^^...or you need some 5.5" LC orange pads.....check them out...I love them....seems like there is less drag on the PC and it spins faster and doesnt bog down like it does with a 6.5+ pad

Post Thanks / Like
    the pads i have that are 5.5" are the LC orange...i do like them. i thought the 6.5`s would just work better with a 6" BP and alleviate some of the vibration at higher speeds. the majority of the pads i have are 6.5`s (came with the PC kit i bought and the extra pads when first purchased).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paradigm
    ..on my wish list is a 3" or whatever size backplate to use with 4" pads too. i`ve had too many hard to reach areas, etc.

That`s the ticket :xyxthumbs And not just for tight spots either, the small pads don`t bog down when you apply pressure. They allow you to do *much* more aggressive work than you can do with any larger size pad on the PC.

Thread Information