Thread: pneumatic D/A

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone use a pneumatic D/A in place of the popular PC? The way I understand, they are essentially the same thing. I am a beginner and just bought a rotary polisher (DW849) and would like to use an ingersoll rand D/A that I use for bodywork for detailing (since I haven`t done much bodywork lately). Does anyone have any recommendations as far as back up pads/pads to use with this combo?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used a D/A before but I think if you start attatching detailing pads to it then your wrists will badly heart. Besides a hand held detailing buffer can be angled for many different degrees where as a D/A is used strickly for horizontal.

I wouldn`t recommend using a D/A for detailing. I`ve seen it used to to finesand the clear coat on large areas, but that`s it.
    :bump Take your time and do the job right the first time

Post Thanks / Like
    I would not reccomend it, the DA is a shorter stroke/faster speed made for sanding. For polishing you want a longer stroke, it`ll cut down on the chances of burning paint.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    So I guess from your responses, there is a big difference between the PC and an ordinary D/A. I was under the impression that they were pretty similar. I guess I will hold off then...

Post Thanks / Like
    Car makers use pneumatic DA`s on their OEM paint lines. They`re highly efficient and effective tools.

Whether yours will work well or not depends on its orbital radius, power, speed, choice of pads, etc.

The subject comes up every now and then. But since very few detailers are ever in a position to even consider trying pneumatics most of the experience out there is with electrics.

Here`re are a couple threads where we`ve talked about it:

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72823

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71105

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems that there are many varying opinions about the air powered D/A`s. Like I said, I already have a rotary that I plan to use for the heavy stuff (compounding/polishing) but for glaze/wax application, I thought that it may benefit me to try that out. I wasn`t looking at this as a long term fix, but more of a short term use until I can justify (I mean convince the wife) that I need a PC.

It seems to me if I was to use my D/A and bought the back-up pads and disks for it, I would be able to use all of this equipment on the PC as well. Is that correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    Assuming your DA uses the industry standard 5/16â€-24 threaded backing plates then yes, you can fit it with the same stuff as the PC. No guarantees on balance though.

PC.

Thread Information