Thread: 7424 vs 7428??

Allen_B
    Post Thanks / Like
    The wealth of information here is amazing! I am venturing into the PC realm and interested in the opinions from the "Pros" that have used both PCs.

I am a true novice, but I believe in time leverage. As near as I can tell, the 7424 random is "safer" for most uses (for the average/novice user) with the `28 more of a "pro" use tool giving better/quicker results- if you know what you`re doing.

Is that a fair summary?

As I said, I am by no means a pro but I was thinking of going with the `28. My concern is that I get the impression that it takes more talent/skill to safely use. Since I will not be using the tool every day to gain the experience, would the `24 be a better bet?

Another minor point, I will be working on several dark cars, not the least of which is my black `02 Camaro convertable.

Thanks in advance!

Allen

Post Thanks / Like
    I would definitely recommend you stick with the dual action (24). It`s used by a huge percentage of people on this site with great results. In the future if you feel you need to move faster or have deeper marring you want to remove you can get a rotary and keep the DA. I now use a rotary for almost all marring removal, but still use the DA for finishing every single detail; it`s really an invaluable tool even just in that regard; nevermind that it can be used for marring removal with excellent results.

That`s all aside from the fact that the DA is almost idiot proof in terms of paint damage potential, while the rotary damage potential is ever present, especially for inexperienced users.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    Allen,

I have the 7428 and like it a lot. The machine has good power and is nicely balanced. I like the handle over instead of to the side.

I have intentionally tried to burn paint with the 7428 and you`d have to be a total idiot to be able to actually do it. To generate enough heat I had to basically run the pad dry and at full speed on the same spot for quite a few seconds.

The fact is, good foam pads are better than ever. It`s even hard to create swirl marks with a rotary using foam pads.

I like this machine. Just be ready for a good forearm workout.

db

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using a Dewalt rotary the last 8mths or so... those Dewalts are BEASTS!! I was trained briefly how to use it by a painter, but I picked up on how to use it (with the 3M perfect-it III system) pretty quick (even though I put some halos and VERY minor damage to a few Sunfire hoods )

I just got my PC 7428 off ebay, and I`m still waiting for my order of supplies so I can do stuff at home. My first impressions just looking at the thing- it does look alot safer to use than a DeWalt, as it doesn`t go FULL POWER right when you hit the switch. And yes it does have a nice handle (same style as Makita- which may be regarded as THE BEST.)

I would still recommend using a 7424 if you have never used a rotary before, unless you have another car (or panels) to practise on. And the overall BULK of a rotary is quite an arm workout as mentioned above, but to me it`s worth it.
    job: Detailer @ GM dealership

machine: Porter Cable 7428 (DeWalt at work)

car: 1995 Grand Prix SE coupe... which I never have time to detail!

Allen_B
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies! I will stick with the 7424 since I am notorious for "overdoing" things and could envision polishing thru a quarter panel in search of perfection with a rotary :grrr

As I mentioned, as a novice user I`d imagine I could get into trouble with a rotary quickly especially attempting on a black Chevy.

I am just getting into this full bore; have been trying to hide stuff with Zaino Z5 for a few years now -->puts on flame suit<--

I am sort of surprised that there is not a "sticky" somewhere in the machine polishing section like "PC 101 for dummies" to address basics for polish, pad selection and technique. I guess it would lead to endless debate since great results can be achieved by various product combos and there are as many favorites as there are users here :hairpull

I`ll be looking thru the car-care section for some kits and such. Since I have yet to order the PC, may just order here to save the trouble.

Off topic- but do sales from the CC section support the forum here?? If so, will be sure to order here. If there is a "Black Paint Yoda" out there, I`d love to get a shopping list for what to order to eliminate swirl and maintain darker colors (Sonus stuff?).

Enough rambling... thanks again!

Allen

Thread Information