Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    This is starting to get frustrating. I`m a newbie to the PC, but I didn`t think I`d come across this many problems. BOTH times I have used it, the backing has come unglued on two orange pads and had minimal results with SSR 2.5. I`ve tried centering the pad the best that I can, moving slowly (1 second per inch), working the polish to what I believe to be finished, and all the while trying to apply a little pressure while doing so. Should I try a different polish or pads? I know the pads are not at fault because everyone else uses them with no problems...maybe I`m applying TOO much pressure? Each time I`ve used it the pad seems to wobble a little....is this uneven pressure, uncentered pad, or is this normal? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    2004 Titanium Pearl Mitsubishi Galant ES

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe a pic or two of the pads would help. What kind of pads are they (manufacturer, etc)? Also some pictures of the paint you`re working on would help. Also make sure you`re actually putting enough oomph into it- PC`s take speed 6 and a bit of pressure to get good results. It may take more than one pass too (it often does). Eyeballing centering the pad usually does a good enough job, so I don`t think that`s the problem.

Some pictures of the problem pads and the paint you`re working on would really help so we know what we`re looking at.

Edit: Also, how much polish are you using on the pad? If the pad has too much polish, that can cause problems for the pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Regarding the pads...they should be replaced by the manufacturer, as the backing material should not come off.

And I`m sure you aren"t applying too much pressure.

If you aren`t getting the results you were hoping for, the swirls or defects are probably deeper than you think. But go at it a couple times and you should eventually get it under control.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m using the Propel pads. I forgot to mention that the previous pad failed because of the 6" BP came in contact with the pad, so I switched to a 5". Here`s a few pics:

I "primed" the pad with FK 425 and then used as X of SSR 2.5. After that, I used about 4 dime sized blobs on the pad. I`ve used the pads on a black Pontiac Sunfire and a `98 Grand Cherokee (no pics because it`s already night time). I was able to see some results on the Sunfire after a few passes, but it didn`t seem like it did anything for the Jeep (Granted the Jeep is in pretty bad shape to begin with, lots of bird and water etchings).

I`ll eventually talk to Patrick about this, but being the holiday weekend, he`ll be away. So I figured I throw it out at you guys to see if I`m doing somethign wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think there is anything you can do wrong that will cause this problem...just faulty. I have some of the orange propel IIs, along with about 30 other green, yellow, blue, and whites. I have never had a problem. If you get a replacement pad, I`m sure it won`t happen again, and once you do, you can go back to the 6" without problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    you mean I should send back the 6 pads that the vleco came off my pads and I should get them replaced.....sweet!!!!! I thought it was my fault or something....I`m stoked now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RAG
    I don`t think there is anything you can do wrong that will cause this problem...just faulty. I have some of the orange propel IIs, along with about 30 other green, yellow, blue, and whites. I have never had a problem. If you get a replacement pad, I`m sure it won`t happen again, and once you do, you can go back to the 6" without problem.

RAG,

Thanks for your input...I was hoping it wasn`t something I`d done wrong because I`ve spent countless hours here reading on how to properly use the PC and thought I had it down. I`ll talk to Patrick Tues, but either way it`ll probably be a while before I could even get a replacement as he is out of the Orange P1`s and P2`s. Maybe when the time comes I could just pay the difference to get the Orange P2 as I`m more comfortable with their backing material.

Toyotaguy,

Are all those pads Propels?

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    work the PC slow and go over the panel multiple times

Post Thanks / Like
    the first 2 times i used the PC with LC cutting and durastrand pads and ssr 2.5 i could hardly elimate swirls... so Klnyc told me to apply pressure and switch from speed 4 to speed 5-6 and go slowly... hmm.. guess what.. it worked!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by natebood
    I`m using the Propel pads. I forgot to mention that the previous pad failed because of the 6" BP came in contact with the pad, so I switched to a 5". Here`s a few pics:

I "primed" the pad with FK 425 and then used as X of SSR 2.5. After that, I used about 4 dime sized blobs on the pad. I`ve used the pads on a black Pontiac Sunfire and a `98 Grand Cherokee (no pics because it`s already night time). I was able to see some results on the Sunfire after a few passes, but it didn`t seem like it did anything for the Jeep (Granted the Jeep is in pretty bad shape to begin with, lots of bird and water etchings).

I`ll eventually talk to Patrick about this, but being the holiday weekend, he`ll be away. So I figured I throw it out at you guys to see if I`m doing somethign wrong.

Yeah, return those pads and get some from Griots Garage as I`ve soaked mine in water all day and never had them losen up even a bit. NOTE: Make sure you aren`t putting too much polish on the pads as that will cause them not to move freely and can cause them to fly off, however it is clear from your pictures that you have defective pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmart
    Yeah, return those pads and get some from Griots Garage...

Griot`s pads wear like iron, I`ve hardly ever worn one out.

Their red wax pads simply last forever.

But their orange pads are pretty mild, despite how hard they feel. Many products, even some mild ones, would benefit from a more aggressive pad. I`m all for polishing pads that don`t contribute any cut of their own (actually, it`s what I prefer), but the Griot`s ones sometimes make products act *too* mild for me. Heh heh, using Griot`s Machine Polishes with a Cyclo and Cyclo brand pads works a lot better for me than using them with Griot`s pads on a PC

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve experienced that type of delamination before using the Propel 1 and even a yellow Propel 2.

In the case of the Propel 1, they were the green ones.

Talk to Patrick is all I can suggest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Griot`s pads wear like iron, I`ve hardly ever worn one out.

Their red wax pads simply last forever.

But their orange pads are pretty mild, despite how hard they feel. Many products, even some mild ones, would benefit from a more aggressive pad. I`m all for polishing pads that don`t contribute any cut of their own (actually, it`s what I prefer), but the Griot`s ones sometimes make products act *too* mild for me. Heh heh, using Griot`s Machine Polishes with a Cyclo and Cyclo brand pads works a lot better for me than using them with Griot`s pads on a PC

You must have an American or Japanese car! Those require a lot more abrasiveness.

If you have a German car (excluding pre-2005 Mercedes which have diamond clear coat), then Griots is perfect.

I even put my Griots pads in the washing machine and they are fine. I agree that the orange pads seem really hard, but once they are seasoned for use with polish they soften up quite a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had no idea Griots made pads. Will their 6" red pad work ok with the 6" backing plate I have from my Sonus SFX pad kit on my PC 7336? I`m a PC newb myself, haven`t used it yet... I`m kinda nervous.

Post Thanks / Like
    I sure hope that you can work something out with Patrick. Have had similar problems with the Propel 1 pads. I fugured that that they were old and had been washed a multitude of times. Also, when ever I did have a problem that was similar to your pictures it was(at least I believe it was) because I was much to forceful with the pad. I thought that it was excessive heat build up(I do mean excessive) that caused the demise of my two orange pads.

Once I changed to the Propel 2 pads, that particular problem has never surfaced again. NO mat ter how much pressure has been applied.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information