Post Thanks / Like
    I want to sand down our deck a bit and sure do not want to do it by hand. I have just a normal backing plate on there how do I get to use it as a sander??? Is it something that I can just pick up at Home Depot??

Post Thanks / Like
    I think all you would need to do is use the backing plate that came w/ the pc and you can purchase round sand paper discs w/ adhesive backing at your local Home Depot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Crap that thing wore out years ago. How is it any diffferent than the one that I have now, they are both hook and loop?

Post Thanks / Like
    The general difference b/w sanding and polishing plates is in flexibility and ventilation. A sanding plate is rigid and has holes in it to allow for airflow....thus alleviating dust build-up in the paper and clogging up the grit , rendering it less effective. For a job as big as you`re taking on , I`d suggest getting a sanding plate. You can get both the plate and the paper at either of the big-box stores. They both carry supplies made by PC specifically for the 7424 , but other brands work just as well.

Using sandpaper is on the same premise as polishing----heavy abrasive for removing built-up crud and defects , then work your way down to lighter grits for finishing. It won`t take you long to get the hang of it. In fact , I`ve found sanding to be a useful tutorial for polishing.

Good luck and feel free to ask questions if I can be of any more help.

P.S. - if your deck is made of pine , I`d suggest staying in the medium range of sanding grit...say , 80-120. Too abrasive and you`ll probably remove more than you need to. Too fine and you risk burnishing the wood and making it less accepting of stain and sealant. This advice , of course , is general and dependant on the situation.

Post Thanks / Like
    The one that came w/ mine was just smooth, no velcro at all. The surface is slick to where an adhesive backed disc would stick good enough to sand with but not too good that it would be difficult to remove.

Post Thanks / Like
    1) not all backing plates used for sanding have hole`s (only the one`s meant to be used w/a vacum system.

2) Hook and Loop is like Velcro (3m sanding paper calls this Hookit -- same same but Hookit-II is not)

3) Stickit (as 3M calls it) is the smooth pad (i.e. not like velcro) this I beleive is the pad that came with the PC (I`m at work so can`t check)

In any case you can use any one of those backing plates I just mentioned for sanding. Just get the paper to match the size/type pad your using.

When changing the backing plate on a PC remember that it`s not 5/8" like a rotary (think it`s 5/11) in any case any local/online autobody supplier will have them (if the big box stores don`t).

you can use a backing plate you brought for polishing for sanding as long as the paper matches the plate. I would reccommend cleaning it throughly before returning it to polishing use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MorBid
    1) not all backing plates used for sanding have hole`s (only the one`s meant to be used w/a vacum system.

Ooops. Left that part out. Thanks for catching it.

It`s second nature for me to have my sander hooked up to a vac and should have mentioned it....Sorry `bout that.

And you`re right , any backing plate CAN be used for sanding, but the process is more efficient when you`re not having to clear the paper of compacted sawdust...especially on a big job. (sorry if it sounds like I`m splitting hairs here).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gusbubba
    Ooops. Left that part out. Thanks for catching it.

It`s second nature for me to have my sander hooked up to a vac and should have mentioned it....Sorry `bout that.

And you`re right , any backing plate CAN be used for sanding, but the process is more efficient when you`re not having to clear the paper of compacted sawdust...especially on a big job. (sorry if it sounds like I`m splitting hairs here).

Well I knew you knew so I was just helping

Thread Information