Post Thanks / Like
    I have completed a few details with my new cyclo and recently did one that left me wondering why I don`t have a rotary on hand.

I ended up using yellow and orange cyclo pads with menz. PG which removed about 75% of the defects (black lexus paint). The PG gummed up like crazy. OHC was easier to work with but not as aggressive.

What are your recommended aggressive combos for cyclo use?

I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a metabo but want to know how far I can go with the cyclo first.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO you probably oughta get the rotary. I`ve only had so-so results trying to do significant correction with the Cyclo (at least on b/c paint). The harshest stuff I`ve used was probably Hi-Temp Lite Cut, and you *could* get more aggressive than that. But I`ve come to the conclusion that for significant correction it`s best to use a rotary if only for the time savings.

Soft paint, especially single stage, is different; the Cyclo can really work wonders on that.

What I like to do is use the rotary for the worst of it, and then switch to the Cyclo ASAP.

I`ve worn out a zillion yellow cutting pads on my Cyclo over the years, and in hindsight I shoulda got the rotary sooner. You can always use a mild approach with the rotary, it`s not like you have to get super-aggressive to justify using it instead of the Cyclo.

But the Medium/Heavy cut products by Hi-Temp might be worth a shot. Check out TOL`s website and see what you think. I might be singing a different tune if I`d tried those products with the Cyclo.

Post Thanks / Like
    PG works well with the Cyclo and orange pads. I haven`t used it with the yellows at all. I don`t even have any yellow pads. Try using a little less product to help with the gumming. The humidity that you have in those parts may be playing a part in the gumming.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Hi-Temp Heavy Cut on neglected cars pretty when I`m doing the occasional side-job (Cyclo w/SFX-1 spot pads), and I`ve had pretty good luck. The Heavy Cut finishes out decently for a strong polish, and it`s fairly user-friendly. Pads tend to load up after several panels, but that`s nothing out-of-the-ordinary, especially for those pads (they tend to work better with polishes that don`t have a lot of solvent, and the Hi-Temp polishes seem to). I`ve even had to break out the Extreme Cut, but that was on a rather stubborn `95 M3. I swear I could hear the clearcoat giggling and making fun of me in German while I was working the Cyclo; that paint was hard . . . the EC wiped out the light swirls in short order (and still finished off pretty nicely for a harsh compound), but the heavier marring required some rotary work here and there.

FWIW,

Tort

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the recommendations.

I may have to pick up some of the TOL polishes because I realized I need twice as many orange pads as I currently own.

I know I will end up buying one anyway so I will probably go for the metabo soon.

Chris, when I cut back the amount of PG it did work better, but still turned to gum pretty quickly. That seemed to be the best combo I found on this paint.

Anyone recommend the med. or light cut TOL polishes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Tort- Thanks for that first-hand take on the Heavy-Cut by Cyclo. I might oughta look into some of that.

pt91- If by TOL you mean Hi-Temp, the Light (lite?) Cut works well by Cyclo. It`s been forever since I used it last, but as I recall it was very user-friendly and finished out well. I would`t buy both the Medium and the Light though, too much overlap. Based on what TortoiseAWD posted, I`d get the Heavy and Light cuts. You can take Tort`s recommendations to the bank.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Hi-temp Heavy, Medium, and Light-cut polishes. Personally, I think Medium has its place in a detailing arsenal. It can finish to an LSP-ready on plenty of cars while offering more correction than Light-cut. Sure a finer polish can take the shine even farther, however, its a difference few non-autopians would notice. So, I will use it on other people`s cars when a one-step polish is in order.

However, I will have to agree with Accumulator. If you only wanted to get two Hi-temp polishes, Heavy and Light are the ones to get! Its a superb combo. Hi-temp makes some great products so take a look at their other offerings! Very economical product line, and topoftheline is a pleasure to do business with

Post Thanks / Like
    Extreme, Heavy, Medium, and Light Cut all work very well with Cyclo. You can work them forever, and they all finish out very nicely. All you need is about a dime size dab on each pad. I would recommend the Extreme or Heavy Cut follwed by the Light Cut. With a rotary the levelers do become quite a bit more aggressive though. Heavy Cut via rotary followed by Medium Cut on the Cyclo to remove the swirls/holograms works well.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Thread Information