Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Professional Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks PC!

Rag: I`ll let you know where I track one down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RAG
    Also, how big exactly is the backing plate? ....
    Here`s a shot of one with a Meg`s 8" pad. I don`t recall how much it may have hung over the edge of the velcro. (note: Dynabrade makes two versions of this thing, the one pictured is "the other one". Not sure why they make them different but they use the same backing plate.)

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Waldron
    Here`s the link:

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/DYN-61374.html

I use this on my Makita 9227 and I can get 95% of all paint defects out with a yellow Lake Country pad and a 1200-1500 grit compound. The thing I love is very little splatter and no swirls. I use this machine at the dealership on almost all cars and the results speak for themselves. I own a pc, Dewalt 443, and Cyclo and this current setup is the best by far. I do sometimes have to use the rotary, but very seldom.

Excellent post!!! This is why it all works, need to know more?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark said it measures 6.5". Borderline...but I guess the 8" pads won`t have too much overhang. Using a little cuation, I should then be able to use some of the pads I currently have which approach 7". I might even be tempted to shave the pad down 1/2" so I can safely use all my current pads. I wonder if any of those 7" Propel/AB pads can still be found anywhere?

Post Thanks / Like
    I got it already. And fortunately enough, I have a compound and polish job tomorrow on a black Honda...this oughta allow me to test the unit sufficiently.

The backing plate might be 7" in diameter, but the velcro is only about 6"...kinda shaped like the old-school backing plates everybody used in the 80`s and early 90s - not the best design. A candidate for shaving down for sure. As is, the Meguiarss 8" pads are probably the best. I might also try the Sam Arnold 8" pads...though I don`t own any.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    the concave pads made by Edge or Lake Country might work better with less chance of splatter

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve never been a big fan of the concave pads on the PC. I just polished a panel on my Landcruiser and I`d don`t forsee splatter being an issue...now that I think about it, I`ve never had any splatter with a DA polisher.

Don`t yet know how aggressive the unit is, as my Landcruiser is already swirl-free. BUT, it has a huge throw so I can`t imagine it not being quite a bit more effective than the PC - it better be, as it is a heavy and thus a tad unwieldy.

Mark, did the backing plate evenually come loose on you...or do you think it was never tightened sufficiently? What I`m asking is...do I did to periodically check to make sure the backing plate is tight to the steel bearing piece?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    What size is the pad that comes with the unit? I`m wondering if the backing plate gets shaved down wouldn`t that effect the throw because of the counter weight?

Post Thanks / Like
    The pad is just an 8" reg rotary backing plate pad, I suppose you can put a smaller backing plate on but I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t why you would want to? The pad orbits and so does the Dynabrade, Dynabrade might hit something if something gets between the pad & the Dynabrade like a luggage rack or side mirror.

Other thing to look at is the weight of the rotary that you are using. When I first ran the Dynabrade kit at the supplier it was on a heavier rotary and when I took it to the shop and put it on my light weight Makita rotary it shook more then the heavier rotary did while running them in the air and not on a surface.

Just like the PC it oscillates but the Dynabrade kit oscillates much more of a radius and the pad doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t spin at all. At its radius of going back and forth creates shaking of the rotary that might create fatigue to the hands. Again I havenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t used it yet on a car so itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s all speculation of what it does or can do but I will soon write something real soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    It shakes a bit more than the PC, but not so bad considering the length of the throw.

I guess larger pads = more surface area = quicker results! And you`re not gonna bog this thing down. Will leave as is for a while...just ordered a few meguairs 8" yellow pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Update... needed Rag and :bounce to all who have this tool.......
    another day another dollar

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t find myself using this tool much at all...awkward and doesn`t seem to have a decided advantage over the PC.

And in now way, shape, or form can it do what a rotary can...just so knowbody is misled by this thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RAG
    And in now way, shape, or form can it do what a rotary can...just so knowbody is misled by this thread.

I disagree. Here`s my repost from MOL.

Woah, I completely missed this thread, otherwise I would`ve chimed in a long time ago.

I absolutely LOVE the dynabrade attachment.

Anyone that has had sufficient time with a rotary, knows that a rotary will leave what looks like a clearer, brighter, finish than a porter cable DA(or g-100) will. The drawback with final polishing with a rotary, is that there is always a chance for some slight swirling in the finish. The porter cable DA will not leave swirling, but it takes longer to break down the polish, and the finish does not look as "bright" as if one were to do the final polishing with a rotary.

Now, the dynabrade has a few disadvantages: The price is generaly going to be over $220 when you factor in shipping and the cost of the rotary, as compared to the various prices for the porter cable. The thing is heavy, adding near 2 pounds to whatever rotary you are using. You can only use 8 inch pads with it. Now onto the good stuff.

The dynabrade will never ever leave swirls like a rotary, but it is VERY powerful. It will not bog down, and if you try too hard to to stop the rotation/orbit, you will hurt yourself. If I had to put a number on it, the dynabrade can do at least 80% of the work a rotary can do. It will break down polishes just as quickly as a rotary, and leaves the super clear and bright looking finish one would achieve when final polishing with a rotary, but no swirls. I have even used the dynabrade with rotary only compounds(such as 84) and have been able to fully break down the compound(you need to run the attachemnt at full speed and put a fair amount of pressure on the tool). Finally, if you run the tool at 1800-2000 rpm, it is more than gentle enough for applying waxes.

I absolutely love the thing

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I bought the thing I paid $1150.00 and I have used it once? I guess because of how much it weights. But the one job that I did use the Dynabrade it did not take out defects but for the final polishing yes its does it faster and better then a PC. But you have to apply pressure to it working on the side of the car and that takes some physical energy, I guess that is why I hardly have used it yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Super
    Well I bought the thing I paid $1150.00 ...

I thought it was more like a couple hundred $

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information