Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Now for most car colors, I can see it as a vital tool and such, but for people with lighter cars like me (Silver), is there really a point to owning one?

I ask because I am considering getting one, because I am kinda lazy and really don`t wax the car often, but that`s because after a simple wash the car looks great. Granted, I can see some lighter swirls, but you REALLY have to look to see them. Here are some examples, this is just after a wash and I haven`t waxed the car in 4 months.

I know I need to clay/polish/wax the car soon (had it for 3 years and have yet to claybar *embarassed*) so I am wondering if it is really going to make much of a difference over how it looks now.

Thanks,

- Jason
    2007 WRB WRX TR

Post Thanks / Like
    if your never going to use the pc then id say no its not worth it. It really depends on how anal you are about swirls and scratches an such. I have a silver car myself and everytime the sun hits it or im at a gas station an the light hits just right an the swirls just pop out at me......well i couldnt deal with that anymore.....lol

just remember, the better your paint surface is the better you car will look when waxed, and the longer the wax will last.
    99 Dodge dakota RT Custom Paint

2005 Crystal Grey Metallic wrx STi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since you are satisfied with the cars looks and admittedly don`t wax or clay I would say a PC is not worth it for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    i am going to say you don`t NEED it, (you really don`t even NEED a car do you?) but you`ll want it and you won`t be able to live without it, once you get it and use it.

The PC smooths out paint like it`s glass...something your hand will NEVER be able to fully replicate no matter how hard and often you polish

Post Thanks / Like
    Your cars finish looks really dull to me. But since its good enough for you, I would say no a PC is not for you. Give that car some love.

Post Thanks / Like
    I suggest there are 2 good reasons you might want to get one.

First, I find it easier to wax/polish with a PC. I have some arthritis in my arms/shoulders and find the PC is easier on my joints than polishing by hand. This might not apply to you.

Secondly, you say you don`t wax very often. If a PC made it easier, maybe you would wax more often and thus give your paint a bit more protection.

There is a third reason. It`s a toy. I like toys.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve only been able to get silver to "bling" by using my PC compared to hand. "Shiny" and "bling" are distinguishable once you train your eyes on what to look for. I say buy it, use it with some good products, and when you see the "bling" it will justify it for you.
    2002 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    Meh, if you just going just adding wax over and over w/o polishing the defects. Your ride will look nasty. The panel will feel like 800 girt sand paper. Get a PC,its under 120.00 or lower by now. I mean you spend that much money during Friday night out with you gals/guys friends. I think its worth it, I have PC n Rotary and loving it and cant live with out it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by klnyc
    I mean you spend that much money during Friday night out with you gals/guys friends. :

$120 on a Friday night? you must be a baller!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cj99si
    Your cars finish looks really dull to me.
    Considering the nasty overcast sky it looks quite good to me.

Oh...and get a PC...then you can come and play with us. :har:

Post Thanks / Like
    To answer the question is a PC really worth it?.......I`d say that mine is worth it`s weight in gold! Detailing without it is like painting without a brush. You can do it, but the end result will be quite questionable. :2thumbs:

In all seriousness. Your car looks great just like it sits, but what are you going to do if it develops swirls, or you scratch it while moving something in or out of the trunk, etc. The PC is a must have tool for any detailer. You may not use it every time you detail your car, but you definitely will use it.

Post Thanks / Like
    By your own description of your techniques I`d say it isn`t worth it for you. It might save you time applying your wax, but thats about all.

Now if you`re thinking of really getting into it and doing defect correction, polishing, etc... Then yes it`s worth every penny. To be realistic it`s probably going to cost more like $200 when you add in pads and polish which it sounds like you don`t have.

You might want to take your money to a pro and let them detail it annually, then you can touch it up all year with a coat of wax

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chpsk8

You might want to take your money to a pro and let them detail it annually, then you can touch it up all year with a coat of wax

that`s $200 each time for a complete job with boutique products.....for $200, he can get th buffer/pads/polish and do it himself...two jobs will pay for the products themselves

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep in mind that if you just use it to wax, you have to factor in the time to clean the pads, put away the extension cords, etc. So, it may not actually save you much time.
    2004 Titanium Pearl Mitsubishi Galant ES

Post Thanks / Like
    really don`t know ... i`d say if there comes a time where your not able to get a look your happy with (by hand clay/polish/wax), then consider it. might even pay someone else to do machine work if its going to be very infrequent.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information