Post Thanks / Like
    Was wondering if anyone`s tried the DPâ„ Low Profile Foam Pad Kit from Autogeek. My RO has a 5" backing pad (and can`t be changed), and I was wondering if the smaller, thinner, and lighter pads would actually work better like they claim. I`ve got LC 6.5" pads, and while it`s nice to have the big margin of safety from the edge of the pad and the backing plate, it does seem like I give up a little bit of control for it (i.e. I can`t apply pressure to the edges).

If anyone`s tried these, I`d love to hear their feedback, in particular if the thinness of the pads are problematic.

Thanks.

From the Autogeek website:

DPâ„ Low Profile Foam Pad Kit

Designed for precision polishing in tight spaces!

The designers at DPâ„ have a really big idea. This idea is so big that it will change the evolution of the foam pad forever. It will have big implications on machine polishing. The big idea is†to make pads smaller. Introducing the Low Profile Pads from DPâ„!

The Low Profile Pads are designed to give the operator more control over the pad than ever before. With just †of foam extending beyond the edge of the backing plate, these pads allow you to apply pressure all the way to edges of the pad. The Low Profile Pads allow you to get as close as possible so you don’t have to go back and hand polish around fixtures.

The thin profile of the Low Profile pads allows the polisher to work the paint more aggressively than a thicker pad. Thicker pads provide more of a cushion between the polisher and the paint to prevent burning. The Low Profile Pads are lighter and slimmer to allow the friction and heat generated by the polisher to have a more direct affect on the paint. This allows the polisher to correct more paint flaws than it would with a thicker pad.

This kit includes:

2 Orange 5.5†Low Profile Pads

The orange pad is designed for light to moderate swirl removal. The small size enables you to cut in close to the bumper, mirrors, and lights without struggling with an extra inch of foam beyond the backing plate. The Low Profile Orange Pad is the same density as our 6.5†Wolfgang℠foam pads. Use the orange pad with a swirl remover or light compound.

2 Gray 5.5†Low Profile Pads

This gray pad is perfect for applying wax or sealant in tight spaces. The small size gives you total control over the pad – perfect for precision detailing around exterior components.

4 Microfiber Bonnets

Slip a bonnet over one of the pads to buff away dried wax or polish. The looped microfibers will easily remove haze and buff the surface to a beautiful shine.
    Ice

Post Thanks / Like
    I see no (zero) point to having thinner pads. In fact, I like the thicker pads (like the Sonus SFX). If you need smaller pads, the 4" spot repair pads are excellent.

Nothing revolutionary about it that I can see.

But given you have a 5" backing plate, a 5.5" pad would be a much better "fit"- diameter wise.

Post Thanks / Like
    RAG, thanks for the thoughts.

Not sure why they decided to go thinner on the pads (although they claim pads are normally thicker to disperse the heat from rotarys) except that it makes them lighter? Might lessen the vibration too? Don`t know if there`s some optimal thickness based on diameter, but 4 inch pads are usually thinner (at least Cyclo branded pads are).

As I`m stuck with my 5" backing pad, I may give these a try. Although I sure wish they sold them individually, in case I ended up not liking the idea.
    Ice

Thread Information