Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Would it be possible to use a rotary as an all-inclusive machine, where it can tackle the toughest of problems to very light swirl/marring correction that would typically be done with a PC?

I gather that most people use both of those tools, since a rotary can cause mircomarring and the like, but I`d like to stick with just the rotary if possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can do everything from heavy duty work to light polishing with a Rotary, I mean b4 a PC what else was there (expect Air Polishers and the Cyclo maybe)? Yet the work got done.

It`s not the rotary machine per se causing the micro marring, it`s the operator not "finishing" out his/her work with a lighter polish and pad combination.

On my Brilliant Black Audi I`ll always finish the panel off with a polishing pad and a light cut product (low rpm`s). That will remove any `marring" caused by the previous buffing.

If the panel only has light marring to begin with then I`ll start off with a the same pad combination

Post Thanks / Like
    In my experience it is possible but the degree of difficulty in finish polishing with a rotary compared to using a D/A machine is much higher, especially with some of the softer paints out there. I don`t think there is much of a time difference between using the two machines to do finish polishing either. I think you`d save yourself much frustration by getting a PC in addition to your rotary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, *IF* (and that`s one huge "if" IMO) you can get a flawless, hologram-free finish every time then I suppose you could get by with just a rotary. It`d be like using a chainsaw to prune your rosebushes though

The PC/Cyclo is *so* versatile that I can`t see not having one. The rotary is, IMO, something to add to the mix, not something that replaces every other tool.

MorBid- Heh heh, yeah, us old Cyclo hands consider the PC to be the new kid on the block. The Cyclo model #5 is maybe, oh, 50-some years old, pretty good production run for a tool of that type, huh?

Post Thanks / Like
    What is it about the rotary that makes it so difficult to get a hologram-free and flawless finish? I would imagine with the right pad, product, and speed combination it shouldn`t be difficult?

Post Thanks / Like
    Rotary polishing is very unforgiving. Even when you have the right product, pad and speed combination you still have tempo, heat, pad angle, etc. to contend with. Lots going on with little room for error.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kb798
    What is it about the rotary that makes it so difficult to get a hologram-free and flawless finish? I would imagine with the right pad, product, and speed combination it shouldn`t be difficult?

A while back, a well respected Autopian was PMing me about how he was gettng holograms with just PI-III MG and a soft pad :nixweiss That never happened for me, but it`s not like he was doing anything dumb...

Consider that Mike Phillips of Meguiar`s, who`s been an expert professional with the rotary for decades, still considers the PC-follow-up to be virtually mandatory for the cars he does.

I`ve never had any *bad* holograms myself, but still, I don`t see the point in using a rotary for jobs that don`t require its aggressiveness. Why use an elephant gun to shoot mice? I find the Cyclo just *so* much easier to use that I`d rather use it whenever it`ll do the job. And since even the *lightest* holograms are utterly unacceptable to me, I just assume they`re there and do the Cyclo-follow-up after the aggressive rotary work (which is the only kind of work I do with the rotary). I`d sure hate to have an unpleasant surprise in certain lighting, and I can`t always pull the car out into the sun to check for holograms.

Post Thanks / Like
    It does take a higher level of skill and concentration to finish with a rotary. It also takes the right tools(polish and pads). I have to "feel" like it to finish with the rotary. About 80% of the time I will go with the rotary, W8006 and FPII(or 85RD) and there wont be a hologram or buffer trail in sight. I have been told that when the "oils" from the polish dry up/go away that the trails would appear. They didn`t and that was with no LSP of any kind on the hood of my own car with that good old soft black Honda paint. I know that Sean is more than capable of this also.

It could be the issue the Mike has is that I don`t know of a "finishing" polish that Meguiar`s offers that is for rotary use.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, yeah, come to think of it, I`ll say that there aren`t any Meg`s polishes that *I* would use to finish by rotary so that might very well have something to do with Mike`s approach. Gotta admit I haven`t used the rotary with #9 since forever (about 20 years before it was reformulated IIRC).

I`m really not doing much significant correction these days anyhow, so people oughta consider my opinions about the rotary in that light. If I can avoid taping, worrying about sling, etc. then I`m gonna take the idiot-proof route.

PC + Patience = Reward!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I recently did a detail in Summerville and decided to use a rotary with Optimum Polish/LC Polishing Pad. I did nothing different that I know of from past details, and although I never had really bad experiences with a rotary, this combo left a nice, hologram-free finish. I had to keep checking in direct sunlight trying to find flaws but found none. This is the first combo I have used that gave me these results, so I can only figure that the products used made some kind of difference...unless I just got lucky LOL!

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny you should say that about Optimum Polish. It didn`t work for me on an E Class using a finishing pad. I felt like it was my first time with the rotary again. Out came the PC.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    The reason why I ask about using the rotary as an all-inclusive method is because I already have a PC 7336 which I`ve used for several years now, but the amount of noise it makes irritates my neighbors. Someone had suggested that I dynomat the PC, but that could cause the PC to overheat prematurely.

I figure using a rotary at a lower RPM will be quieter than polishing on 6 with the PC, and it would save me time as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah..OK, that explains a lot. Hmm...might oughta consider a careful pad/product selection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have any suggestions? My polishing arsenal right now consists of the old Menzerna IP/FP, and an aging huge bottle of Meguiar`s DACP. I`m not sure my 6.5" pads would work the rotary, so I might pick up some new ones anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    kb798:

I`ve used anywhere from 3" to 8" pads on a rotary, U just need the right backing plate

Accumulator:

I never would`ve thought that the Cyclo had been around for so long. You got me there.

I would like to also go on record about what I mean by "finishing" as there does seem to be two ideas.

1) Final Finish - Used with a Finishing Pad (which have no cleaning capabilities) and LSP`s

2) Finishing up with a Rotary - Stepping down through the PPI (coarseness) of pads to produce a even finish. I.E. you can`t work a panel with a light/medium/heavy cut pad/polish and stop there.

A rotary polisher (either air or electric) works by generating heat and a PC just rubs (like you would by hand) but a lot faster.

Would I use a rotary tool for 1) above? Certainly not. Actually with the newer LSP`s on the market today, which don`t require long setup periods on the panels and intense rubbing to remove, I can get around a car faster by hand making the machine (whatever it is) more of burden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information