Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been buffing and polishing with different rotary buffers for years. I`ve been reading all the hype on this site about the PC 7424. I have searched and cant find much. Most the questions and answers seemed to be aimed at new people interested in learning to buff. This is not my case.

Is the PC simply a good beginner machine, but a rotary will do a better job? Or is the PC really alot better? I dont mind buying a new machine time to time, and dont want to miss an improvement in buffing. Is anyone using larger than 6" backers and pads on a PC? I have loads of foam, wool etc pads and hate to buy all new.

I ordered a bunch of Sonus polishing supplies, from this site to give a try as well as the Klasse and P21s. I`m interested in seeing how these products stack up to the old 3m products and lots of polishing. Show season is coming and I want to make the switch before then to see how things go.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you`re skilled/experienced with the rotary, which it seems you certainly are, then stick with it. The PC is a great machine for beginners because it is almost foolproof, while the rotary can cause quite a bit of damage in the wrong hands. But the rotary will be a lot more efficient in the experienced hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    It all boils down to what you are most comfortable using. Everything can be done by rotary, with the exception of sealants IMO. But sometimes other machines can do the same with less wear and tear in most cases....on you. I have various rotaries, a few PC`s, DW443, Cyclos and mini 3" buffers. I learned on a rotary...in the days of having to use a rotary or dont use a machine. But I dont really miss the days of all metal polishers...bolt-on pads...and speed contol by your trigger finger.
    Ric
    3Dog Garage
    HOGtailing is my business

Post Thanks / Like
    Good info. I still may pick up a PC set up to mess around with. At first I was wondering what people were talking about with the settings like 3 or 4 etc. Trigger speed control has always been something I hated. I like the results I get with the Rotary. I usually go as far as swirl remover...then do the rest by hand. From what I have read people are using the PC for cleaners etc. It might also be nice for touch up work on cars that arent that bad. Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to go from my Dewalt 849 to a PC, based on the rave reviews from here and elsewhere, and I couldn`t make the jump.

I came from Automotive refinishing to detailing and like you, there was no way to "cut and polish" the paint without a rotary when I started.

Using a PC is a little different that a Rotary as you use more pressure and work the polish longer.

It`s selling point is because your not generating alot of heat you run less risk of damaging the paint. If even at all.

Most if not all of my polishes require heat/rpms to break down and I didn`t want to buy more stuff just to use the PC.

I use mine now for applying and removing LSP`s and for cleaning the carpet`s with the brush attachment.

YMMV

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowlz
    I`ve been buffing and polishing with different rotary buffers for years. I`ve been reading all the hype on this site about the PC 7424. I have searched and cant find much. Most the questions and answers seemed to be aimed at new people interested in learning to buff. This is not my case.

Is the PC simply a good beginner machine, but a rotary will do a better job? Or is the PC really alot better? I dont mind buying a new machine time to time, and dont want to miss an improvement in buffing. Is anyone using larger than 6" backers and pads on a PC? I have loads of foam, wool etc pads and hate to buy all new.

I ordered a bunch of Sonus polishing supplies, from this site to give a try as well as the Klasse and P21s. I`m interested in seeing how these products stack up to the old 3m products and lots of polishing. Show season is coming and I want to make the switch before then to see how things go.

Thanks.

Just to be sure you realize (if you already know, please don`t think I`m being condescending by asking), the PC is just a popular maker of a dual action sander that takes foam pads for paint polishing.

If you`re a skilled rotary user, I guess you probably don`t need it. Have you considered a Cyclo Polisher instead?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by percynjpn
    Just to be sure you realize (if you already know, please don`t think I`m being condescending by asking), the PC is just a popular maker of a dual action sander that takes foam pads for paint polishing.

If you`re a skilled rotary user, I guess you probably don`t need it. Have you considered a Cyclo Polisher instead?

You know I kind of didn`t put 2 and 2 together that its just an electric D/A with a polishing pad. I might already own one. Hmmm..I have to look at the electric D/A I picked up a few years ago and see what brand/model it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah it`s a D/A but the orbit isn`t the same as most. I asked Porter Cable and while I can`t remember off hand (I have the email some where) it`s not 7/16 or 7/32

Post Thanks / Like
    .. the PC is just a popular maker of a dual action sander that takes foam pads for paint polishing.

My thoughts exactly. I started with a rotary, went to a Cyclo, got a PC to see what all the buzz was about...and I don`t think all that much of the PC. I only use it when I *need* to for one reason or another.

If you don`t have any problems with the rotary (no holograms, for instance) then I can`t see any reason to get anything else. But if you want to try something a lot milder then I`d probably suggest the Cyclo over the PC. And sometimes using a very mild machine can have its advantages.

If I can`t do it with the Cyclo, *then* I turn to the rotary (for correction) or the PC (for finer finishing). But man do I prefer working with the Cyclo.

Post Thanks / Like
    My biggest problem with the rotary, like everyone else, is swirls. I have found that Mopar swirl remover works as well as any high end stuff I can find. I have a couple vehicles that are black. Nuff said.

I need to look in my garage when I get home. I have a black and silver electric d/a. I think its a porter cable. Thinking now it doesnt have a speed setting..its just a trigger. Its gotta be a different model.

Whats a cyclo?

I also noticed that Meguires has a branded PC...that`s $50 more than the PC branded tool. Any difference..or are you paying for Meguires advertising?

Thanks for the answers.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Megs has a lifetime warranty

Post Thanks / Like
    Jowlz .... where you located in nothern Pa. ?????????

I have one to see if you`re close by.
    2000 NBM WS6

/oo__________oo\
    |==_/_ws6__\_==|

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 4get gto
    Jowlz .... where you located in nothern Pa. ?????????

I have one to see if you`re close by.

Wilkes-Barre Township. I`ve pretty much decided to order a PC and pads. Would be interested in some pointers though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowlz
    You know I kind of didn`t put 2 and 2 together that its just an electric D/A with a polishing pad. I might already own one. Hmmm..I have to look at the electric D/A I picked up a few years ago and see what brand/model it is.

Thanks for your snotty and rude reply!! I guess you didn`t read this part of message:

if you already know, please don`t think I`m being condescending by asking.

Maybe after you decide which machine to buy, you can spend a little time learning some manners, eh?

You`re something else

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your snotty and rude reply!! I guess you didn`t read this part of message:

if you already know, please don`t think I`m being condescending by asking.

Maybe after you decide which machine to buy, you can spend a little time learning some manners, eh?

You`re something else

No need to get all worked up. Try reading what he said again. Didnt come off as rude or snotty in any way to me?... :think2 :think2
    2004 Black Dodge SRT4

RIP 1999 Black Dakota R/T- AKA "broken" the drag project truck that made it till the end, until the end....................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information