Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Advice for a real leather steering wheel

Gonna mount this wheel in my new Vette and as far as I know, it`s real leather and not "finished" leather. I am not concerned about uv protection as it`s a car kept 100pct inside a garage and not a commuter. But sm concerned about skin oils and dirt. I have 303 and PB natural look, any advice on something that would seal it better? This wheel is 1000 bucks, totally hand crafted, very nice.
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like
    That wheel looks awesome. I mean really sweet.

It looks to me like typical car leather, which means it`s a leather hyde with a colorant on top - then a leather clear coat / protectant is applied. My BMW M steering wheel is that way, only the colorant is black.

First , I wouldn`t use any APCs or general interior cleaners to clean the wheel EVER. These products are harsher than leather cleaners (pH could be anywhere) - and the possibility exist they can remove some of the colorant as the leather clear coat starts to wear. My guess is this wheel will never get nasty dirty - so I would use a leather cleaner. IMHO APCs should only be used on very soiled leather.

What works for me is Leather Master`s Strong Cleaner - which really isn`t that strong. However , it`s a liquid the consistency of water - so it`s easy to splash it everywhere. I apply a little to a boars hair paint brush - agitate - then wipe off with a MF towel.

While this isn`t the most aggressive (or fastest) way to clean a part like this, I thing it`s one of the safest ways.

Out of all the leather "protectants" I`ve used - the only one I`ve ever seen any evidence that it lasts more than a few days is CarPro Fabric and Leather. It seems to form a pretty thick protective layer over the leather. It`s not the best looking "leather protectant" or "conditioner" - nor is it the "best feeling". However, I believe it offers more real protection than anything out there. I believe it has these slight drawbacks because what you are looking at is an actual coating - not "shiny stuff"/silicones or gloss enhancers slathered all over the leather. While leather conditioners can make leather initially feel and look great - they don`t do crap for the life of the leather IMHO.

I apply it using a small piece of foam sponge and some foam Q-Tips from CarPro USA. With F & L you don`t have to worry about the stitching (fabric) - as it protects that as well. If it was me, I`d coat the carbon fiber area with DLux - as that likely has a clear lacquer coating on it (unless it`s a vinyl wrap like Di-Noc) - as nude carbon fiber doesn`t "shine"...

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice for a real leather steering wheel

Thanks, all these wheels are custom so you can make em any way you want. I`m going with black where I touch (sides) and color on top and bottom, plus the horn pad in red. So it`ll be more protecting/glossing than cleaning. I`ll try the natural look for now, I think, I`ve has good luck with it lasting....but I like carpro stuff.....
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

Baby wipes are actually a great way to clean leather. Extremely gentle, with no chemicals to speak of.

Post Thanks / Like

glen,

You positively need to confirm if the leather is encased in vinyl or not. That will dictate whether to go with actual leather products or those for vinyl.

Post Thanks / Like

I would just use steam to clean an some rej oil in between.

Post Thanks / Like

To keep your steering wheel from getting Sun damaged try rotating it (in different postions) when parked in direct sunlite. I see TONS of steering wheels that are toast only on the top portion of wheel. Drives me NUTS !!

Nice looking wheel btw

Post Thanks / Like

Great looking wheel. Take some water and lightly sprtiz it on top. If the water beads it is coated leather (which should be the case given it is a steering wheel).

Protect as normal.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to disagree on the baby wipes. I had a lady with a Lexus RX350 that used baby wipes on one section of her back seat, over time, it completely took the coating off that section.

Thread Information