Post Thanks / Like

Removing Stains from Cloth Seats

About a month ago I loaned my car to my son and his wife. When I finally got it back after I returned from my trip I found a fairly large stain on the drivers seat. I was told that the stain was made by spilled BBQ. My car is a 2012 Hyundai Elantra with tan interior. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. At this time I was considering an Oxy type cleaner, however, I do not know if it would have an effect of discoloring the seat.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing Stains from Cloth Seats

Those seats are a total pain to work with. I own an Elantra, so I know all about how temperamental they are. Do your very best not to over soak them, because you will make a bigger mess than you have now. If its BBQ sauce though, your going to have to get that out first, then worry about the stains that are left over from cleaning it. Try something light such as Spray & Wash or some Oxy Clean ( just enough to dampen the affected area) and hit it with a strong shop vac. DO NOT scrub or aggitate at first. Just spray and extract repeatedly with medium to heavy pressure on the vac until the sauce is completely removed. Your going to end up with what looks like a big water ring in this area due to the liquid cleaner. Next, take a can of aerosol dry foam such as Tuff Stuff, and spray the entire area of the seat. If its on the flat area of the seat for example, spray that entire area and not just the affected area. This will be the step that removes the water stain. There`s 2 ways to go from this point..one is to scrub the daylights out of the seat with a microfiber towel, or if you have a machine polisher, you can follow this method http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...ording-me.html from this point on.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it was me, I`d go with some type of extractor. Spraying cleaners on cloth seats and "scrubbing them" means the cleaner and any BBQ gunk it takes with it is pretty much in the seat for life. Probably not a huge issue - but an extractor will pull most of the BBQ junk out of the cloth.

I would use Folex, just because it`s cheap, works well, is available almost everywhere, and doesn`t leave the cloth messed up looking if it`s not completely extracted.

I understand not everyone has an extractor. But, the one I have is just a Bissel upright machine with a hand attachment. It really works well at getting these types of stains out and you can use it for your home carpets as well - which it works awesome on.

Post Thanks / Like

I have KIA with light colored cloth..what I have been using with great results is Blue coral upholstery cleaner. It`s available OTC and online. The process is 100% of the success.

I spray it on and let dwell for a few minutes, then with my shop vac I lift the area using a micro fiber to dab up the area. It might take a few or more times to get the BBQ out but I`ve always been able to get the stains out of my seats.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Nathan`s advise is sound and has worked wonders for we without the seats wicking which is the stain returning when it dries. I started with Blur Coral and have recently switched to a commercial dry-foam and Tornador foamer.
    Paul Sparks

Distinctive Auto Detailing

Indianapolis IN 46234

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Distin...70659146390192

Post Thanks / Like

Paul how has the Tornado foamer worked out? I`ve came really close to pulling the trigger on one but havent seen many reviews on it.

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to try this method. It sounds like it`s worth a shot. Cloth seats with stains are my admitted wickness

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    I am going to try this method. It sounds like it`s worth a shot. Cloth seats with stains are my admitted wickness
    I`d say I see about a 90% success rate as far as getting them perfect. From time to time, I run into some seats that are absolutely horrid, and this method alone just won`t cut it. For example, a Honda Pilot that I do a couple times a year that totes 6 kids around. Those seats are always so bad that I have to extract..there`s no other way. My method works better than anything else I`ve tried for surface stains though. You can mix it up too. You can scrub with a DA brush, use a variety of different pre treatments and foams, pads, machines, whatever works best for that particular job. The real ticket is to finish with wool though. That is what dries the seat and prevents wicking. Average drying time is around 20 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    I`d say I see about a 90% success rate as far as getting them perfect. From time to time, I run into some seats that are absolutely horrid, and this method alone just won`t cut it. For example, a Honda Pilot that I do a couple times a year that totes 6 kids around. Those seats are always so bad that I have to extract..there`s no other way. My method works better than anything else I`ve tried for surface stains though. You can mix it up too. You can scrub with a DA brush, use a variety of different pre treatments and foams, pads, machines, whatever works best for that particular job. The real ticket is to finish with wool though. That is what dries the seat and prevents wicking. Average drying time is around 20 minutes.
    Whats wrong with these parents today? My father wouldn`t even let us drink water in HIS car. Much less eat cookies & cheez-it`s!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    Paul how has the Tornado foamer worked out? I`ve came really close to pulling the trigger on one but havent seen many reviews on it.
    It makes a ton of foam cheap.
    Paul Sparks

Distinctive Auto Detailing

Indianapolis IN 46234

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Distin...70659146390192

Thread Information