Bop's Auto Wash & Detail GThg3zx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Gasoline spill inside car...

Any suggestions or advice for dealing with a gasoline spill in car?!?

Thanks!!!...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gasoline spill inside car...

I`m sad to say that short of replacement, I`ve never found anything that will completely remove fuel from carpet. Worse yet, if you don`t get the carpet out, the fumes will permiate the other fabrics in the interior.

I picked up a Pinto Wagon back in the day that I put a V8 in. The previous owner had spilled gas in the interior a couple of weeks before I got it. It was nasty. Even after I replaced the carpet/pad, which made it a ton better, it took months to air out to the point that it didn`t gag you. It had cloth seats that were in great condition, this was an upgrade over vinyl. I didn`t want to replace them. I pulled them out to thoroughly clean, and had the windshield out while I built the engine and painted the car. Probably sat open for a couple of months, it had quite a bit of time to air out.

We scrubbed, pressure washed, steam cleaned etc., it was tough. It got to the point where you didn`t mind being in it but you still knew it was there. It was the equivalent of standing in a clean service bay. In retrospect I probably should have replaced the head liner.

If you could lay your hands on an ozone generator I`ve got to think it would be worth a shot.

I`m interested to hear if others have been more successful in this endeavor.

Man that was a quick little sleeper. Those were the days.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like
    Light a match?

j/k. I would try the enzyme stuff for pet odors you get at the pet store. Its a carpet / furniture cleaner that has enzymes. Dunno if it would help, but its worth a shot.

Post Thanks / Like

If you could find an ozone machine for rent somewhere, OR find a detailer near you that has one, I think that would be your best bet. You still need try and clean it out the best you can, and let it air out really well too though.

Post Thanks / Like

hmmmm, I spilled gas in parents car, and 2 hours later the smell was gone. I guess I`m surprised at how difficult these odors can be if allowed to permeate the wrong surface.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Im not sure but I think that back when GearHead bought the Pinto with the free gasoline spill inside, the gas was probably Leaded gasoline and that always had a distinct smell..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Im not sure but I think that back when GearHead bought the Pinto with the free gasoline spill inside, the gas was probably Leaded gasoline and that always had a distinct smell..
    Dan F
    This and I think it was a significant quantity of fuel. The guy had filled a gas container and was driving it home when the engine gave it up. He had it towed to a shop where I knew the owner. It was a shop where I built my cars after hours. The guy didn`t want to pay to have an engine rebuilt and I bought it for a song ($200 if I remember correctly) knowing that I would do something special to it. I think the gas container overturned when it was towed and it sat out in the shop`s yard waiting for a decision to be made.

It was there a couple of weeks before it was offered to me. It was a 79 Pinto Wagon and the fuel container was in the back but when it spilled it ran down into the floor pans of the rear seats. Man it was nasty. The gas can came with the car and I still have it. Military 5 gallon can. I use it to block the Kitty door in the garage every night. My cat can get the locked kitty door open by himself if I don`t put the can in front of it. No idea where the car ended up but I know where the gas can is.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Try putting a bowl of vinegar in the car in the sun with the windows slightly open

Post Thanks / Like

just a thought to ensure safety

Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Thread Information