Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Question on Leather Cleaner

Well, I`ve been using Meguiars D180 Leather Cleaner & Conditioner 128 oz. for quite awhile now, and about to run out of another gallon here pretty soon. Its been giving me "decent" results, but before I purchase another gallon,

Any suggestions to something that has / will give better results? Opinions welcome

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question on Leather Cleaner

I suggest cleaning before conditioning, not both at the same time. That will just give you OK results. I also use a bristle brush on the leather when I`m cleaning, which helps out tremendously!
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with addicted. Using a dedicated cleaner and conditioner would yield best results. As a cleaner I would recommend Ultima Interior Shampoo. As far as conditioner my recommendations, based on my experience, are BF, Optimum Interior Protectant and DG Leather Conditioner.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been using Leatherique for a long while, and not once have I felt the need to replace it with anything else.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

it`s not really leather.....It does not need a leather cleaner or conditioner!!!

CLICK THIS LINK:
    Automotive Leather
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars D181 Leather Cleaner is good!
    Very effective and cheap in bulk!
    It is very similar to Gold Class Spray Cleaner so you may go for a small bottle to try first.
    Hello!
    My name is Dennis!

Post Thanks / Like

stick with Leatherique..you will not be disappointed
    Lexus Rx300

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been using Woolite to clean leather. I need to get the Leathique tho

Post Thanks / Like
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

an excerpt from the valuable article submitted by glen e....

Dr. Herndon Jenkins, an industry authority and Technical Director of the Lexol Division of Summit Industries, is the author.

Dr. Jenkins explains how to tell the difference between “coated” and “naked" leather. Referring to coated leather he states, “Such leather can be identified by the failure of a drop of water applied to its surface to be absorbed into the leather after a few minutes.”
    Contrasting the ability of naked leather to absorb conditioners (and water) with coated leather, Dr. Jenkins states: “While vinyl-coated leather is care free by virtue of its protective plastic surface, it is also inaccessible for purposes of maintenance.” Meaning, of course, there is absolutely no point to using leather conditioners on plastic coated leather.
    So, how should plastic coated leather be maintained? According to Dr. Jenkins, “Such leather should be maintained exactly like vinyl upholstery.”

Cleverly anticipating your questions, we wanted to make sure this information is still current. So, we contacted Dr. Jenkins at his office in Atlanta. In our conversation Dr. Jenkins told us that in the years since the article was published coated leather has become more common than ever. That now virtually 100% of leather upholstery in American and Asian-made cars is plastic coated. Among European car makers naked leather upholstery is still much more common than with U.S. makes, but coated leather is becoming more prevalent there as well.

Mr. Jenkins can repeat that a million times, and still some will swear that treating plastic coated leather is beneficial.

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gloss View Post
    an excerpt from the valuable article submitted by glen e....

Dr. Herndon Jenkins, an industry authority and Technical Director of the Lexol Division of Summit Industries, is the author.

Dr. Jenkins explains how to tell the difference between “coated” and “naked" leather. Referring to coated leather he states, “Such leather can be identified by the failure of a drop of water applied to its surface to be absorbed into the leather after a few minutes.”
    Contrasting the ability of naked leather to absorb conditioners (and water) with coated leather, Dr. Jenkins states: “While vinyl-coated leather is care free by virtue of its protective plastic surface, it is also inaccessible for purposes of maintenance.” Meaning, of course, there is absolutely no point to using leather conditioners on plastic coated leather.
    So, how should plastic coated leather be maintained? According to Dr. Jenkins, “Such leather should be maintained exactly like vinyl upholstery.”

Cleverly anticipating your questions, we wanted to make sure this information is still current. So, we contacted Dr. Jenkins at his office in Atlanta. In our conversation Dr. Jenkins told us that in the years since the article was published coated leather has become more common than ever. That now virtually 100% of leather upholstery in American and Asian-made cars is plastic coated. Among European car makers naked leather upholstery is still much more common than with U.S. makes, but coated leather is becoming more prevalent there as well.

Mr. Jenkins can repeat that a million times, and still some will swear that treating plastic coated leather is beneficial.
    thanks - I should have spelled it out like you, people will not click and read sometimes...IT`S ALL A PLASTIC SURFACE UNLESS YOU HAVE A BENTLEY OR ROLLS - or some other super high end car - and why you should use a platic cleaner. Plexus and 303 work well - I use Poorboys Natural Look which is a multi surface cleaner...
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

The cleaners and conditioners that are intended for "real" naked leather should be labeled...

"For Use On Real Leather Only"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gloss View Post
    Some have said that the coated leather is not 100% solid coating so over time it becomes more permeable due to flexing of leathers and age.

But, it is a debate that will continue to go on but I think we know if you keep coated leather clean and use a protectant or conditioner it will provide a barrier that can extend its life.

From my experience, I have never experience the soften effect with uncoated leather but the conditioners do make the surface feel softer to the touch but do not think it translates to pliability.

For example, we put natural waxes on paint (does not absorb into paint) to protect and enhance the look but you could also synthetic products to do the same thing.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

I know many that continue do use LEXOL and other leather stuff on the plastic leather with good results...I think you can gt good results with other stuff, just realize in many cases, you are not getting to an actual hide in your treatments.
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

I think it`s positive when a manufacturer clarifies the use of its products.

Lexol makes a product for both leather and vinyl, or plastic coated leather.

As for waxes, some folks are persuaded that the wax penetrates the paint.

Lot`s of myths in auto detailing.

From Autogeek

"Apply a small amount of Scholl Concepts Premium Vintage Wax to a section at a time and wipe away 70% of the haze using a soft microfiber towel. Massage the remaining carnauba wax into the paint using the palms of your hands to melt the wax molecules and ensure a tight paint-wax bond. Wipe away the melted residue completely to reveal your masterpiece."

I don`t believe it.!

Where is Jared Pointer?

BTW, we can disagree and still have fun and laughs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information