Post Thanks / Like

removing dog hair and smell

Have a suv that has a lab dog hair in the front and middle seats and smells like dog. What can i do to remove the hair and smell? I used a brush abd that did alot but still hbe hair there.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: removing dog hair and smell

I have had good luck with the rubber dog hair brush. You may have to brush the area more than once but the brush really works well. To help with the smell I use Chemical Guys odor spray and if needed a hot water extractor.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen a lot about pet hair rocks better known as pumice stones for removing dog hair. Ill be giving this a go on a vehicle Tuesday.

As for the smell extractor or steam if possible.
    Official Selected Team Member of the Air Force One Detailing Team
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE-8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

i like the scotch-brite auto pet hair remover. gorilla tape is also good for pet hair removal.
    short of steam cleaning, i just make sure i apc everything very well and have good results using febreze to knock the odors down.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Are the seats cloth ? If so, the rubber brush (which you can also get at a Petsmart store) will help move the hair over, allow you to gather it all in one place and then vacuum it all out. You need to learn how to make the brush work, its not just hammering on it, its firmly and sometimes gently, moving the hair from one end to the other for pick up..

If the seats are cloth and the dang dog was wet, well now the dog smell is embedded into the cloth and into the foam below. Harder to remove. May be impossible to remove all of it.

I would get a good odor removing soap for cloth, Chemical Guys has a "Fabric Clean" product that works pretty good and helps with the smell, but the only way to really get rid of the smell is to totally remove it.. It could come back if not removed..

I have used my VX5000 Steamer and Mytee HP60 Extractor on Cloth Seats and this works good for removing embedded dirt and crap out. You have to be careful that you don`t compromise the cloth by tearing it, etc.,..

Don`t forget the crease area between the top seat and the bottom seat -get all the way between the two really good..

Something else that sometimes helps is Meguiars Odor Eliminator spray...

The Pumice rocks for dog hair work pretty good - perhaps better on carpeting and not on the less stout seat material. Experiment carefully.. I have them too but always try the rubber tipped brush first.

Dont wet anything too much especially the seat foam. I have found some seat foams as in BMW`s to really suck up water deep into them and hold it. It is killer hard to get all the water out of this type of foam. Ask me how I know..

It is always so much easier to wet and soak things down than to remove all that moisture afterwards.. Try to keep this in balance. If you have hot weather all of this will be easier with higher temps helping dry stuff out.. Fans also help dry the area quicker...
    Good Luck with this !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

To remove the smell, I left Vinegar in a bowl overnight and for removal of the dog hair I had the best luck with rapping my hands in masking tape and going over the area until it was all gone.

Post Thanks / Like

I remove the hair with the stone. Seems to work for me. I just use it like a brush & brush the hair into a pile and vacuum it up. For the dog smell, I steam clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Latex rubber gloves work surprisingly well too! It helps gather the hair quickly into piles to be picked up with a shopvac.

There are also big lint rollers made by Evercare that are good to pick up any stray hairs after you get the majority of the hair with rubber gloves, rubber brush, etc. Think of it as masking tape on steroids.

GTO_04
    2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392 Granite Crystal
    2006 GTO Impulse Blue/blue interior

Post Thanks / Like

I used a pumice stone today (what all pet hair stone/rocks are) Very easy made cleaning the dog hair a breeze from the cloth seats.
    Official Selected Team Member of the Air Force One Detailing Team
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE-8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

I use Downy fabric softener and water 50/50 in a spray bottle, works like a charm

Post Thanks / Like

For removing smells...I`ve had good results with Car-Pro So2Pure: Odor Eliminator.
    I`ve used it for everything from cigarette smoke smell to stinky wet dogs (Labs).

Merlin

Thread Information