Post Thanks / Like

Steam Staining???

To all the steamers out there...

Has anyone ever ran into the issue of color bleeding from the MF`s and dying/staining carpets or interiors?

I wrapped one of my yellow towels from Sam`s to steam clean the floor mats and after the first one I noticed the color bleeding a little into the carpets. I always prewash my towels in warm water and MF detergent before first use. I also pre-treated the mat with a mixture of Folex and 10:1 OPC.

Anyone got any tips or advice for this issue? Or a place to get cheap white MF`s towels just to use with the steamer?

Detailing the Gulf Coast vitalcarcare's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Steam Staining???

I have not had and color fade issues using those MF towels. At least not the blue ones, I have a pack of the yellow ones i havent busted into yet, but I dont see where color would be the real issue here. Terry towels might work better for you on these mats at least.

Tru hitting it with straight steam, blot dry with the towel and see if that helps. Could be combination of yellow, steam, chemical mixture?? Just my take and what I would do.

Post Thanks / Like

Switch to white cotton towels. With the extreme heat of steam, some towels will bleed color...white will not bleed.

I could be off here but the construction of MC material,is that they do not take to extreme heat very well
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by vitalcarcare View Post
    I have not had and color fade issues using those MF towels. At least not the blue ones, I have a pack of the yellow ones i havent busted into yet, but I dont see where color would be the real issue here. Terry towels might work better for you on these mats at least.

Tru hitting it with straight steam, blot dry with the towel and see if that helps. Could be combination of yellow, steam, chemical mixture?? Just my take and what I would do.
    Yeah, I was thinking it may be due to the opc that I threw in the mix. I`ll have to find a bunch of old carpet scraps or something to do some experimenting on.

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    Switch to white cotton towels. With the extreme heat of steam, some towels will bleed color...white will not bleed.

I could be off here but the construction of MC material,is that they do not take to extreme heat very well
    I picked up a cheap pack of white terry face cloths to test out, I`m pretty sure that the thickness, or lack of, will not work in my favor but it will at least give me a baseline to move on from.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the VX5000 with a white cotton towel across the triangular head and almost always the towel will get dirty really quickly especially on anything off the floor carpets - mats more than the carpets of course.

Target used to sell a pack of cheap white towels that are about the right size for my triangular steam head, perhaps you can check out that store next time..

These same white now dark brown, etc., towels will sometimes not ever wash back to completely white, but as long as they are clean they will be used until I decide to recycle them out of the rotation.

Not ever going to use colored towels on anything that has to do with extreme heat and cleaners.. Dont want to risk getting exactly what you are referring to..

Good luck with this !
    Dan F

Thread Information