Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interior Smell

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interior Smell

White Vinegar gets rid of nasty smells and urine .Just make sure to rinse well .

Sounds like your almost there!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ca.detailchick View Post
    White Vinegar gets rid of nasty smells and urine .Just make sure to rinse well .

Sounds like your almost there!
    Would this method be used in an extractor? Say, clean water with a few drops of vinegar? Just wondering how I`d go about this.

Yesterday: one more clean, hot-water extraction with the LGM. My wife said that it smelled better before

I also scrubbed all the headrests with APC/hot water, then rinsed/extracted again. I`ll leave the car out in the sun while I work on the Sonata. If it still stinks, I`ll push it off a cliff

Thanks again for the suggestions. I`m just kidding about the cliff...still have a few more options but I think I`ve narrowed the smell down to the back seat area, which is strange, since I think only four people have sat back there since 2004

I`m also not convinced that the smell isn`t coming from the floor mats. The OEM floor mats have always been covered by rubber, all weather mats. They look great, but I wonder if they got a little funky with some gunk getting trapped between the layers. Oh yay! I`m gonna wear that little Bissel out on my own car!

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by landshark View Post
    Would this method be used in an extractor? Say, clean water with a few drops of vinegar? Just wondering how I`d go about this.

Yesterday: one more clean, hot-water extraction with the LGM. My wife said that it smelled better before

I also scrubbed all the headrests with APC/hot water, then rinsed/extracted again. I`ll leave the car out in the sun while I work on the Sonata. If it still stinks, I`ll push it off a cliff

Thanks again for the suggestions. I`m just kidding about the cliff...still have a few more options but I think I`ve narrowed the smell down to the back seat area, which is strange, since I think only four people have sat back there since 2004

I`m also not convinced that the smell isn`t coming from the floor mats. The OEM floor mats have always been covered by rubber, all weather mats. They look great, but I wonder if they got a little funky with some gunk getting trapped between the layers. Oh yay! I`m gonna wear that little Bissel out on my own car!
    Did you try mixxing a nutralizer in your extractor mix? Something like frebreeze? I dont know what else it would be I use Zap It air nutralizer and it works well I think its similair to frebreeze I think. Research it a little might come up with something

Post Thanks / Like

use something with enzymes, most likely its an organic substance causing the smell so if you use something with enzymes it will attack the odors/substance on a microscopic level. i usually spray enzyme cleaner and let it soak for while while i tend to other stuff then extract.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by landshark View Post

I use 50/50 water to vinegar and I dont see why you couldnt use it with an extracter.

I prefer the soak and blot method myself because the foam in seats can allow the problem to go very deep into the foam.

Trouble with vinegar is it has its own funky sour smell but it does dissipate in a couple days.

Opies idea to use enzyme is maybe a better option if you find vinegar smell too offensive. "Oil eater" is an enzyme cleaner found otc in auto parts stores . Very cheap and effective also.

You are a good husband!

Post Thanks / Like

Any update?! How is the stinky Sonata?

Post Thanks / Like

A Guy Decides to Power-Wash the Inside of His Mercedes CLS (Video) : Discovery Channel
    what a great idea this guy has to get get rid of those stubborn smells and stains ! ok, maybe try this one last !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
    A Guy Decides to Power-Wash the Inside of His Mercedes CLS (Video) : Discovery Channel
    what a great idea this guy has to get get rid of those stubborn smells and stains ! ok, maybe try this one last !
    I was almost to that point, Steve!

Well, the smell is nearly (95% by my nose) gone! I think one more extraction with clean, hot water will do it! It seemed to be coming from the back seats...why? I don`t know. Maybe lots of driving with the windows open? At any rate, thank you EVERYONE for the suggestions!

Here is a quick picture of our little car. This week it`s getting a full correction (wash, clay, M105, Collinite 845)...it`s once-a-year spa treatment:

This car is my wife`s (well, okay, our) baby. It was her first ever new car that she bought on her own. I think we`re going to keep it until the wheels fall off. Being as that it`s a Japan-built Echo, that will be a long, long time!

My first ever write-up here will be the Sonata. Look for it in a short while. It was BAD! Only a few before shots as we were dodging raindrops.

Thanks folks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Any update?! How is the stinky Sonata?

Read about it here:http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...tml#post435994

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information