Post Thanks / Like

Question Dirty, messy family cars

So earlier this week I was cleaning out our car. I`m sad to say that I let it get pretty bad since last time ... But as I was cleaning, I thought of you guys.

When taking customers do you take on the dirty messy family cars? How messy is too messy for you to attempt? Or do you simply charge more

What is the best way to clean carpet with dirt and stuff caked in? I`m thinking hot water extractor or steam...but I have neither yet...
    Halena Boles, amateur/wannabe detailer

I <3 my Jeep : D

Post Thanks / Like
    I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dirty, messy family cars

its the not so glamorous side of detailing, but someone needs to do it.

I`ve got my share of gross interiors under my belt. few pics on the website. steam is invaluable for those jobs. Some of the worst I`ve seen usually includes a mix of pet hair, food, & tobacco use.

either the client is charged more for the dirty interior or I reduce some of the exterior work to compensate so it roughly works out to the same number of hours spent (for example, using an AIO on the exterior). Either way its all discussed up front so everyone is clear on whats expected.

regarding your carpet question, you`ll get lots of answers. in my opinion you can do a pretty good job on carpets with a shop vac, carpet brush, folex, and terry towels dipped in a bucket of hot water. Vacuum everything, brush the carpet, vac some more, pre-treat w/ folex (or your carpet cleaner of choice), then scrub the carpet with that hot wet towel. maybe go over it once more with the vac to remove any moisture
    Bryan
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com
    Instagram @MrSparkleDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Ive never turned a customer down and doubt I ever will. The dirty and nasty stuff will usually provide the biggest turnarounds and gratification. I cant search on my phone for some reason, but look up "interior reconditioning project". Its BAD, but sadly not the worst Ive done. Im a glutton for punishment though lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peachypan View Post
    So earlier this week I was cleaning out our car. I`m sad to say that I let it get pretty bad since last time ... But as I was cleaning, I thought of you guys.

When taking customers do you take on the dirty messy family cars? How messy is too messy for you to attempt? Or do you simply charge more

What is the best way to clean carpet with dirt and stuff caked in? I`m thinking hot water extractor or steam...but I have neither yet...
    I doubt you`ll find carpet any worse than the link below, it was a freinds daughters car they where selling and the only reason I took on the job. I used boiling water with APC and a shop vac...your going to need gloves as well.

Thanks
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I can only think of the saying "If it was easy, anyone could do it ".
    Paul Sparks

Distinctive Auto Detailing

Indianapolis IN 46234

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Distin...70659146390192

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peachypan View Post

A hot water extractor is going to make your job much easier but it certainly not the only way to do it. I had a write up on a different forum about cleaning carpets with an APC and a shop-vac. I will see if I can find it, edit the pics, and post it here shortly.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

This is how I`ve done it for years, but one thing I learned is if you get to much APC in the carpets, and end up with lots of foam, you have to really pour in a lot of hot water to shop vac the living day lights out of it, in some cases step a repeat was needed. The Honda from Hell link was a classic example of that. I sucked several gallons of water threw the carpet

Another is not to attempt this in cold or no sun days. The drying times can take a day or much better
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    On really bad vehicles it is easier to pull the seats out. You can then clean starting from top to bottom. You have more room to work.

On power seats you will need to leave everything on the seats plugged in to get access to the bolts. Do both sides first before disconnecting the battery. Be careful with the plugs. Note how they release first. Do Not pull on the wires especially air bag seats. Many manufacturers only sell complete harnesses as it is not recommend to repair. They operate on low voltage signal. Too much or tool little resistance can trigger the light.

First make sure if there ARE air bags in the front seats. The battery will need to be disconnected before unplugging to be safe. Also if you turn the key you may trigger a fault code once unplugged if the battery is on. You will then at that point need to know the process to reset (ie Hondas) (been there done that) You also need to make sure you have the radio code if applies.(also been there done that)

Make sure you lay something across the jambs when pulling front. You do not want to scratch the jambs. Also be aware where the seat tracks are at all times. You do not want to pierce a door panel. Same with the back know where any brackets sticking out are. Place the seats on scrap carpet so as not to mark any material while on the ground. This will also make it easier to clean them vrs climbing around them inside. Carpet too will be easier to clean thoroughly. Depending on the type of vehicle you may need a set of Torx bits for seat belts or even seats.

When assembling make sure no wires are crimped by the seat and all connections are plugged in properly if applies. This is before you tighten the seat down. Make sure to start all bolts first.(front two then back two depending on the order you took them out)

If you know all this already good.
    I was explaining my response as for someone who may have not tried this approach yet. Just want everyone to be safe. There are a few body shop guys around who have found hidden wire damage the hard way.

Just a suggestion I`ve found time wise it does save on really nasty jobs just pay attention to those details.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Concours.John View Post
    On really bad vehicles it is easier to pull the seats out. You can then clean starting from top to bottom. You have more room to work.

On power seats you will need to leave everything on the seats plugged in to get access to the bolts. Do both sides first before disconnecting the battery. Be careful with the plugs. Note how they release first. Do Not pull on the wires especially air bag seats. Many manufacturers only sell complete harnesses as it is not recommend to repair. They operate on low voltage signal. Too much or tool little resistance can trigger the light.

First make sure if there ARE air bags in the front seats. The battery will need to be disconnected before unplugging to be safe. Also if you turn the key you may trigger a fault code once unplugged if the battery is on. You will then at that point need to know the process to reset (ie Hondas) (been there done that) You also need to make sure you have the radio code if applies.(also been there done that)

Make sure you lay something across the jambs when pulling front. You do not want to scratch the jambs. Also be aware where the seat tracks are at all times. You do not want to pierce a door panel. Same with the back know where any brackets sticking out are. Place the seats on scrap carpet so as not to mark any material while on the ground. This will also make it easier to clean them vrs climbing around them inside. Carpet too will be easier to clean thoroughly. Depending on the type of vehicle you may need a set of Torx bits for seat belts or even seats.

When assembling make sure no wires are crimped by the seat and all connections are plugged in properly if applies. This is before you tighten the seat down. Make sure to start all bolts first.(front two then back two depending on the order you took them out)

If you know all this already good.
    I was explaining my response as for someone who may have not tried this approach yet. Just want everyone to be safe. There are a few body shop guys around who have found hidden wire damage the hard way.

Just a suggestion I`ve found time wise it does save on really nasty jobs just pay attention to those details.
    Great advice!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, the Honda from Hell was really bad off! Makes me feel better for taking so long to get to my car. You did a great job on it, Beemerboy!

Thank you all for the tips and advice I`m going to try to clean the carpets using them....when I can actually get to it. Poor Jeepie will have to wait a little longer...
    Halena Boles, amateur/wannabe detailer

I <3 my Jeep : D

Thread Information