Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Understanding the different types of leather.

Quote Originally Posted by RSAV View Post
    Todd...great post, thanks. I was told by a local vender to use GoJo hand cleaner to clean and condition leather seats & consoles...your opinion? Guy said he`s been using this trick for years with good results.( he services the local used cars lots). I own a F350 Lariat, and a 370Z, both with leather and am always looking for something to help keep my interiors looking new..Thanks. Ro
    I have no idea (honestly) if this is a good idea or not. I have never used GoJo hand cleaner to clean anything but my hands, which it was designed for. So my opinion below is a general opinion, not aimed at any specific product, person, or situation.

Sometimes we have to be really careful who take advice from. It is possible that using a certain product to wash leather, clean tires, dress an engine may produce the desired results for an individual (whose standards may be lower or higher than our own). Using a hand soap to clean (and "condition") the leather may work for somebody who works at a used car lot, because their goal is to clean the leather as fast as possible, and never have to do it again. Usually the last thing on their mind is how is this going to affect the leather long-term.

Damage to leather (or any surface) may not be instantaneous. Take polishing paint for example. If you polish your paint once a year, you will be fine. But lets say you polish your paint every week with an aggressive compound. At first you will not notice any damage, but after a year your going to start going through the clear coat (maybe less time than that). The damage didn`t occur right away, but over time. Another analogy would be like smoking cigarettes. One cigarette in your life time will have no effect on your health, what-so-ever. The damage isn`t done right there. But some 2 packs a day for 40 years and.....

So I would be more concerned about the long-term effect of using something that is designed to remove oil and grease from living skin continuously on my own leather.

Post Thanks / Like

EDIT:
    I use gojo for my hands and not on leather, lol...

I use gojo too but i think it has some low petroleum ingredients to remove grease from your skin, im not 100% on that though but ifever you use that it has some gasoline-like smell off it. And i think any petroleum-based products doesnt do any good with uv rays *that could affect any interior material in the long run*
    Last edited by ponzy; 02-24-2012 at 08:36 AM. Reason: edited :)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ponzy View Post
    I use gojo too but i think it has some low petroleum ingredients to remove grease from your skin, im not 100% on that though but ifever you use that it has some gasoline-like smell off it. And i think any petroleum-based products doesnt do any good with uv rays.
    For me, with so many great leather car products, designed by really intelligent (to a scary level) leather experts, it seems to be a safer bet to stick with something designed for leather.

It`s the long term damage that repeated exposure to harsh chemicals could cause that worries me the most.

Post Thanks / Like

every time there`s a writeup/review/knowledge passed by Mr Helme, I find myself printing the whole thing and sticking it in my detailing binder for future reference LOL always great information !!

Post Thanks / Like

I always thought leather was leather.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by viOlaziOne View Post
    every time there`s a writeup/review/knowledge passed by Mr Helme, I find myself printing the whole thing and sticking it in my detailing binder for future reference LOL always great information !!
    Thanks, that is seriously flattering. I am really lucky to love what I do!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information