Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Understanding the different types of leather.

Quote Originally Posted by rzatch View Post
    On cheaper leather if your not carfull you can actually wipe the color coating right off the leather with the wrong cleaners.
    I guess you could remove the coating on more expensive leathers if you used the wrong (aggressive) chemicals as well. On most semi-analine leathers you might night even know you are removing the coating if it is clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CH.Detailing View Post
    So aniline hides need specific chemicals and can be damaged by chemicals designed for coated or semi-aniline hides? How about the reverse, could using an aniline oriented product on semi-aniline or coated leathers cause undesired results or damage?

Is there a striking difference between aniline and semi-aniline, with regard to look or feel?
    Aniline leather is extremely vulnerable to scratching or staining. If you spray water on aniline leather (that doesn`t have any conditioner on it) it will absorb into the hide immediately. If you rub your finger nail over it it will scratch. Using regular cleaners/conditioners on will cause an uneveness of color (and can harden/stiffen it) as the chemicals are absorbed through out the depth of the hide.

There is some debate as to whether or not even aniline specific cleaners/conditioners (usually oil based IIRC) work and to what degree.

I don`t see why aniline leather care products would harm coated/semi-aniline leather, as the coating should prevent the majority of these products for working.

Whether there is a striking difference between semi-aniline and aniline leather is debatable I suppose as most of us will only see aniline leather on high end bags and shoes. Some extremely high quality leather (a Rollys Royce Drop-Head coupe) is so soft and some supple that I couldn`t imagine anything nicer. The aniline leather used on some King Ranch Ford`s was no where near as nice.

To test for the two place a drop of water on the seat, if it beads it has a coating, if it absorbs it is aniline. Or lightly rub an inconspicuous spot with your finger nail, if you see a texture change then it is aniline.

Post Thanks / Like

The leather seats on a King Ranch are also supposed to be a very finicky leather and you are supposed to use the products from Ford only on them. They appear to be an aniline type finish.

Post Thanks / Like

The leather seats on a King Ranch are also supposed to be a very finicky leather and you are supposed to use the products from Ford only on them. They appear to be an aniline type finish.
    My understanding, or at least what I have heard (I have zero experience with them) is that they used an aniline leather for the first 2 years before switching to a semi-aniline leather after a lot of complaints about durability and staining.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t know about that, but they are a neat seat covering not sure I would want to live with it though.

Post Thanks / Like

On cheaper leather if your not carfull you can actually wipe the color coating right off the leather with the wrong cleaners.
    I agree. I used a strong cleaner with a cheap microfiber towel on the back seat of my 2010 Mustang and it did remove some color in one very small spot. It`s the rear seat and nobody sits backs there and it really didn`t need to be cleaned but I did it anyway. I was bored that day. If you`re going to use a leather cleaner you might want to dilute it and then use a plush microfiber towel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting this Todd. A lot of great information and a lot of it I didn`t know about.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    Thanks for posting this Todd. A lot of great information and a lot of it I didn`t know about.
    You are very welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mitchell View Post
    I agree. I used a strong cleaner with a cheap microfiber towel on the back seat of my 2010 Mustang and it did remove some color in one very small spot. It`s the rear seat and nobody sits backs there and it really didn`t need to be cleaned but I did it anyway. I was bored that day. If you`re going to use a leather cleaner you might want to dilute it and then use a plush microfiber towel.
    Its always a good idea (with anything really) to test a small inconspicuous spot first.

Post Thanks / Like
    This was a very informative post, thank you Todd!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tw33k2514 View Post
    This was a very informative post, thank you Todd!
    Thank you very much! I`m glad to help out, it`s my passion.

Post Thanks / Like

Great post! I have a La-Z-Boy recliner that is Aniline leather. You can look at it and it scratches! lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Use a protectant or conditioner that features protectants (to reduce abrasion and increase sun fade resistance). Over time the leather coating will crack microscopically or stretch in the seams and folds. Conditioners can penetrate the coating through these cracks and openings, keeping the leather underneath soft and supple.
    Thanks for the post! To me, coated leather care is one of the most "mysterious" parts of detailing. There is a lot of misinformation out there, some of it coming direct from other product vendors, and it`s tough to figure out.

I see a lot of reputable vendors marketing leather products which don`t claim to have any conditioning/moisturizing value. For example, a lot of folks use 303 on leather, is just the water based component of something like 303 enough to moisturize/condition the leather underneath?

I`ve also read elsewhere that wiping down seats with a damp rag is enough to "moisturize" the seats, and that the primary focus of a leather "lsp" product should be abrasion resistance. (like LM Protection cream) I`d be interested in your thoughts on that.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I see a lot of reputable vendors marketing leather products which don`t claim to have any conditioning/moisturizing value. For example, a lot of folks use 303 on leather, is just the water based component of something like 303 enough to moisturize/condition the leather underneath?

I`ve also read elsewhere that wiping down seats with a damp rag is enough to "moisturize" the seats, and that the primary focus of a leather "lsp" product should be abrasion resistance. (like LM Protection cream) I`d be interested in your thoughts on that.

Thanks!
    I have had the pleasure of speaking with several well known chemists, leather workers, and leather product manufacturers, and it can be confusing. Each has a different view on what works or what doesn`t, but here is what I have gathered.

The biggest factor in keeping leather from wearing is to keep it clean. Abrasion can remove/ruin the coating fast.

Avoid strong cleaners.

Most conditioners are also protectants, with perhaps the benefit of conditioning the leather underneath.

Leather coatings are permeable, that is (particularly as the leather ages/coating wears) you can get some products to the leather underneath.

Post Thanks / Like

Todd...great post, thanks. I was told by a local vender to use GoJo hand cleaner to clean and condition leather seats & consoles...your opinion? Guy said he`s been using this trick for years with good results.( he services the local used cars lots). I own a F350 Lariat, and a 370Z, both with leather and am always looking for something to help keep my interiors looking new..Thanks. Ro

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information