Post Thanks / Like

How can I protect B-Pillar fabric from wear

Is there anything out there that can protect fabric from wearing out?

I have a 2006 Mercedes E class and the interior has a design flaw that I have been trying to find a solution for. The bottom of the B-pillar is covered in fabric. When the driver`s seat is positioned farther back than the B-pillar you rub every time you get in and out of the. Since the material on the B-pillar is fabric, it wears out. The one on my car is now torn and looks horrible.

I searched for solutions on the Mercedes forums and found that it is a common problem for tall drivers. Some people have replaced the B-pillar part but report that it wears out again pretty quickly. One guy with a dark interior used an iron-on patch to cover the tear. Unfortunately I have a light grey interior and have not found anything close to matching the color.

I have been searching for something that could harden up the fabric to make it wear more slowly. I figure this way I could replace the part, treat it and then not have it wear out.

Any advice folks could offer would be greatly appreciated!

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How can I protect B-Pillar fabric from wear

Sorry that this is happening to your E Class. Have you looked to see if Mercedes makes that panel in just hard textured plastic? What is behind the torn area? is it the plastic piece in the right color?
    Perhaps just finish removing the fabric will look ok for you ?
    The E class cars I have detailed dont seem to have the wear issue, and each time I do one I wonder why just as you have, Mercedes put fabric on this piece...

Perhaps find a good german car trim shop and ask them what they can do for it?

Dan F

Good luck with this

Post Thanks / Like

I woujld go to an interior guy and have him use a matching or contrasting leather or fake leather (might wear better) in that area.

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a good suggestion. ^^

Also removing the fabric. The only problem is the glue and if or not the plastic is textured. Flat would not look right. Removal of the glue would be time consuming and the painting thereafter would scratch.
    This is a problem on quite a few models. They tear or ball up and also lose pattern.
    One solution as mentioned above was recovering. I do one where the owner had it covered with the same material like leather used on motorcycle seats and higher end boats. It is very durable and looks like leather. It also conforms very well with many colors available.

I do a little upholstery work and have used this for stereo custom installs in the past.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Great ideas guys !
    I like the leather idea, the only issue is that there is not a lot of space perhaps between that pillar and the seat side, so if its too thick a leather, then its going to rub everytime the seat is moved front and back.
    One of the more durable leathers out there is the leather they use on harley davidsons - its like iron.
    Good luck with this !
    Dan F

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Great ideas guys !
    I like the leather idea, the only issue is that there is not a lot of space perhaps between that pillar and the seat side, so if its too thick a leather, then its going to rub everytime the seat is moved front and back.
    One of the more durable leathers out there is the leather they use on harley davidsons - its like iron.
    Good luck with this !
    Dan F
    That`s exactly what I was talking about.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, lots of good suggestions, guys!

The car did have a facelift the year after mine so I am going to see if I can find one close by to look and see if the design or material changed at all. Then I`ll try the upholstery shop and see if they have any suggestions.

There may yet be hope

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of my customers had their done by having it cover with a clear plastic material. Like the same ones use in the 60`s on furniture to protect them.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Finally found a post facelift version of my car for sale with the same color interior. It seems with the newer models they made the carpet and the B pillar trim much darker than they are on my car. Its almost a light charcoal instead of the light grey (or ash as the interior color is called). I`m sure the darker color does not show the wear as prominently but if I got 2 newer parts for the B pillars it may look really odd being so much darker than the carpets, door gasket and other trim.

I guess my next stop is the upholstery place. The adventure continues.

Thread Information