Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I have some swirls and minor scratches on my 2 year old white paint. I tried claying it and caused even more marks somehow ( I followed the directions implicitly). Is the scratch x okay to use on the whole car before I zaino it, or should I wait and try to get some 3M perfect it and do that instead?

Post Thanks / Like
    If scratch-x is doing a good job of removing your swirls then go for it. In my experiance 3M SMR is more abrasive than Scratch-X. They both have filler properties so make sure you wash your car afterwards, so you can see how much was actually done and what was just hidden with filler.

Perfect it may be more abrasive than you want to start out with. I prefer to start with a very light abrasive and work up. That way it minimizes the amount of clear coat that gets buffed off.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think Scratch-X should be used on a whole car. Start off with somthing like Meguiar`s #9-2.0 and if that is not abrasive enough move up to a 3M SMR.
    Andre`

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the 3M SWR the same as 3M perfect it?

Post Thanks / Like
    I really don`t see any reason why using ScratchX on the whole car would be a problem. If it is doing a good job at removing the swirls then you should stick with it, instead of using a more abrasive product.

The meguiars website states the following:
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

ScratchX is the most effective way to remove fine scratches and swirls from automotive paint by hand.</blockquote><blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

.It`s ideal for use as a quick touch up or to revive a car`s entire finish.</blockquote>

If it is not strong enough to remove the swirls in your finish, by all means move up. But otherwise no need to remove more clearcoat than necissary.

3M SWR is the same as Perfect it, Perfect it II is their more abrasive rubbing compound.

Post Thanks / Like
    The reason i dislike to use scratch X on a whole car is that it is hard to work with on large surfaces, in my opinion Scratch X is not a yery good product, but if it works for you use it.

When polishing by hand with a SMR your not removing much clearcoat at all, think about it i can wet sand a car with 1500 or 2000 grit sand paper, than polish it out with a fine compound, so polishing with a SMR is fine.
    Andre`

Post Thanks / Like
    According to Meguairs, Scratch X does its work chemically, not with abrasives. So it takes the "edge" off the scratch and rounds it off by chemical action. It is therefore safe for your car. But it doesn`t do much other than make the surface feel smoother. I have used it by machine (PC) and found it to be much more effective by hand for removing any scratches. Needs elbow grease.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. Its a very mild abrasive that would be good for consumers that are afraid of scratching their paint. It wouldn`t do any harm, but it wouldn`t do too much either.

But it works well on small sections if used with lots of firm pressure.

Post Thanks / Like
    It also works very well for taking off marks from your paint like smudges and things like that. Apply with foam pad and don`t be afraid to rub it in with some pressure. Then just buff off and repeat until you have your desired result. It has some polish in it also I believe.

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Andre` [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>When polishing by hand with a SMR your not removing much clearcoat at all, think about it i can wet sand a car with 1500 or 2000 grit sand paper, than polish it out with a fine compound, so polishing with a SMR is fine. [/b]</blockquote>
    I agree completely.

I beleave that if you don`t need anything stronger than ScratchX then why not, just stick with ScratchX? Its not going to be devistating to use SMR instead, but its a good practice to use the least amount of abrasive as necissary. :up

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by StyleTEG [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>

I agree completely.

I beleave that if you don`t need anything stronger than ScratchX then why not, just stick with ScratchX? Its not going to be devistating to use SMR instead, but its a good practice to use the least amount of abrasive as necissary. :up [/b]</blockquote>

And i agree with you as well.
    Andre`

Post Thanks / Like

Stinky Crappy Sport Fabric Seats

This a used vehicle a customer purchased. I am simply amazed people are willing to purchase dirty vehicles and pay top dollar for them. The customer only wanted the seats and carpet cleaned. The seats are lot more dirtier than they appear in the picture and how they smelled...baby milk..

I am learning all the time. The tombstone will be my diploma. ~Eartha Kitt

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. Outstanding job. If I didn`t no any better I would think you changed out the upholstery. Those seats were trashed! How`s the smell now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Please share the process!! I have such a hard time with stains like that.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Automania-

Beautiful work there, they look as good as new !
    Thanks for sharing the pics..
    DanF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information