Post Thanks / Like
    by David W. Bynon

<font size="1">Copyright©, 1999-2002, Autopia Car Care -- All Rights Reserved</font>

It’s easy to overlook the big picture in car care because, so often, we’re simply trying to deal with specific problems. Take water spots and swirl marks as an example. Sooner or later, we all get spots and swirls. Due to the environment, they seem inevitable. The environmental factors around our cars can cause severe appearance and maintenance problems. The purpose of this article is to make you aware of what the environment is doing to your car.

Exposure to sunlight is a critical problem for all cars that spend three or more hours a day uncovered. The sun’s radiation of ultraviolet light attacks your car’s interior and exterior finish. If your car is unprotected, sunlight rapidly accelerates the aging process. Fabrics quickly fade, leather dries and cracks, and paint oxidizes and dulls.

The earth has a natural layer of sun block called ozone. Our atmosphere is composed of several layers. We live in the "Troposphere" where most of the weather occurs; such as rain, snow and clouds. Above the troposphere is the "Stratosphere". Supersonic jets like the Concorde fly in the lower stratosphere. This is also where we find the thin layer of ozone. Ozone forms when ultraviolet radiation from the sun strikes the stratosphere, which splits oxygen molecules (O2) to form atomic oxygen (O). The atomic oxygen combines with new oxygen molecules to form ozone. Up in the stratosphere, ozone absorbs most of the harmful ultra-violet (UV) radiation which causes skin cancer, damages vegetation and ruins our cars.

It`s quite ironic that at ground-level, ozone is a health hazard. It is a major component of photochemical smog. Ground-level ozone is formed by a chemical reaction between volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and oxides of nitrogen (NOx) in the presence of sunlight. Ground-level ozone, better known as smog, is a serious health hazard to us, but did you also know smog it’s damaging to the rubber trim, seals and hoses on your car? Ground-level ozone eats away at rubber, causing it to dry out and crack.

Heat is another danger to your car. When the temperature rises above 75 degrees, the interior and exterior of your car bake in the sun. High temperatures accelerate surface oxidation by drying out the paint. As you can imagine, this issue is worse on dark colors than light colors. Dark colors absorb more heat, whereas light colors tend to reflect it.

As if the sunshine we enjoy so much was not bad enough, coastal salt air is just as bad. The concentration of salt in coastal air is very corrosive to paint, chrome, aluminum, fabrics and leather. People who live at or near the beach should wash their car twice as often as someone who lives 20 or more miles from the ocean. Without frequent washing (weekly, at a minimum), coastal salt air will rapidly etch and dull a new car finish.

Speaking of frequent car washes, I have a friend who prides himself on washing his car each and every time it rains. While he is being smug, thinking the rain water bathes and washes the layers of dirt off of his car, it actually blends the dirt with a nice mixture of atmospheric chemicals. What my friend’s car really gets is an acid mud bath.

Acid rain comes from the emissions of fossil fuel burning power plants, internal combustion engines and chemical plants, just to name a few. Rain and other precipitation sweep the chemical emissions out of the upper atmosphere and deposit them back on the ground as sulfuric or nitric acid. When acid rain falls onto your car, it can etch spots into the paint.

Not wanting to leave anyone out, cold weather is a problem, too. Regular exposure to freezing temperature or rapid temperature fluctuations may cause your paint to become brittle and crack. Because steel, vinyl and paint all expand and contract at different rates, it’s very easy for paint to delaminate. Car manufactures use flex agents in paint to combat this problem, allowing the paint to remain flexible.

Thus far, I have only mentioned some of the individual hazards to your car’s finish. What do you think happens when you combine the forces? As an example, acid rain alone is not so bad. However, combine acid rain with intense sunshine and you have an incredible force against you called photochemical etching. The combination and factors seem nearly endless. Let’s face it, the world is out to mess up your beautiful car if you don’t protect it and maintain it.

Post Thanks / Like

Gone To The Dogs!

This vehicle was gone to the dogs as the camera has captured. Some day I hope cameras will also be able to capture smells.. as it was worse than a kennel. Don`t sweat yourselves in a few days it will be completely destroyed again the only reason for cleaning is family will be traveling in the vehicle.

I am learning all the time. The tombstone will be my diploma. ~Eartha Kitt

Post Thanks / Like
    Automania,

Just beautiful, clean, work you did !!! I am so proud of you !!!!!
    That was one trashed Highlander - looks like the Client had their share of messes in there too - good thing they didnt shed hair as well !
    Awesome turn around, hope you got the smell out.

When I first looked at this, I thought, - I just completed the sister suv to yours in my driveway last week!! 2001 Kia Sportage, equally trashed by 2 big wet labs that go the Lake every day, jump into the SUV and roll around wet, and then the people raise all the glass up tight and let it cook!!
    Totally wore out a rubber black pet hair brush, and vacuumed for 5 hours just to get a reasonable handle on all the hair stuck to the cloth seats and carpet!
    It even has the same hole in the front driver carpet floor !

Congrats on your awesome work, the people were undoubtedly stunned !!!

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like
    When it comes to interiors?.

You are my hero !!!

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope you charged more than you normally would for dealing with that disaster.
    To this day I still do not understand trashing a car like that. Outside of a house, a car is the second largest purchase most people make, yet they treat that $30-$40k vehicle like it was nothing.

Fantastic job btw!!
    "If I were stranded on a desert island and could only have one book, record and person...I`d probably die of exposure."

Post Thanks / Like
    Amazing work indeed. I can`t imagine anyone allowing their vehicle to get that disgusting. Great job!

What fabric cleaner did you use? Did you use an extractor?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    YUCK!!!! (rhymes with what I would have said)

That`s worth a beer at least.:wizard: Nice work
    I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is hardcore detailing! Awesome job, I dont think the owner could have ever expected that end result:drool5:
    David Saunders

Street Dreams Detail
    Now in San Diego California

..And as for the critics, tell me I don`t get it
    Everybody can tell you how to do it, they never did it

Post Thanks / Like

highlander interior

have them sell it immediately and buy a honda element that they can hose out. even called a kennel model or something. great work

Post Thanks / Like
    Truly astonishing considering the trash heap that was. Looks like you pulled the carpets out as well as all the seats. I thought my kids in their early years were bad, but that just puts the old messes to shame.
    Learning tips and tricks from fellow board members since 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    You sure you didn`t just take pics of a new car? That`s is amazing results. I give you a huge round of applause!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Quesada

"Success is not the key to happiness.
    Happiness is the key to success.
    If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful."
    - Albert Schweitzer

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that`s some impressive after pictures.

Would you please share your process?

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent results you did a amazing job

Post Thanks / Like
    Really nice work!

I can relate because I have 2 customers who are dog trainers and their vans are really really gross, although they didnt have the added trash!And I hate that dog smell even though I really love dogs.

Why cant people at least take out their trash for you ?!This is something that always gets me irritated LOL
    I will miss you TID! R.I.P !

Post Thanks / Like
    That has got to be one of the best interior turnarounds I`ve seen, especially considering it was a tan interior with cloth seating. Amazing work!

Thread Information