Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to run out and get an Absorber this weekend (thanks to all the members on the forum who gave me sources to get one locally in Canada), until I tried drying with a couple of small MF"s this week after a snow storm (yes, we had one).

Anyway, I was amazed that I could dry the car so fast with just 2 8x8 (?) MF`s. I got them at Costco, and they linted up the first wash or two, so I was ready to write off MF"s until I read about the other ones available like NeatItems and YoSteve. Anyway, now I am torn as to whether to get some better, bigger MF`s from either YoSteve or NeatItems, or to get the Absorber.

The reason I ask is that it seems most people who use the Absorber use an MF to finish. If that`s the case, why bother with the Absorber; why not just use MF`s.

FWIW, my car is a medium greenish grey (called Timberland by Mazda) 626.

Objective input welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m not familiar with the absorber but I use a water bandit and follow up with a MF usually in conjunction with a QD. I like using the synthetic chamois just for the fact that there’s less laundry, plus it does a really good job. I just ordered some MF’s from neatitems…looking forward to trying those out.

SJS

Jedi Master
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tascar.com also sells good MF towels. I ordered from them last year. Won`t lint up. They are the same if I remember as the CMA Magic Towel. Correct me if I am wrong fellow Autopians. MF towels are only good in my opinion to finish up the 10% of water left behind by other drying devices. I use a California Water Blade to dry the car and follow up with the MF towels. Works great for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a water blade on the windows, absorber on the car panel by panel and follow up with a small MF towel....usually takes 2. I try to BLOT the car with the MF not wipe and rub.....just in case.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve never had any MF towels that are good enough to dry with. I`ve been using the Absorber for the last 4 or 5 years with no problem. Anything you use can scratch your paint. If you use a MF wrong then you have just as much chance to swirl your finish than if you use an Absorber wrong. Drying your car always requires a little extra care. I really like the Absorber. A MF would have to be pretty darn absorbant to even compete with it. I can dry a whole car without wringing it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like the guys above, I use a water blade to remove most of the water on the large panels, then use large MF towels to remove water from the rest of the car. I`d say the water blade removes close to half the water on the car and the towels do the rest.

For best results I use two large blue MF`s. Size is 16"x24". Got mine from TOL but others sell them too. By far the best drying towel I`ve ever used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm...I have used an Absorber (my brother`s) to dry my car, and I really like it, but I found I had to wring it out 3 or 4 times. Does it "wear out". I find it incredible that you can dry the whole car without wringing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I forgot to mention that I use the Waterblade to get most of it. If your car is waxed and the water is beading then most of the water can be swept off anyway. Or you can just run the hose on it the right way and the water just falls off anyway. It is possible to dry a whole car without wringing the Absorber or using a Waterblade, you just have to rinse the right way.

Post Thanks / Like
    The absorber and other synthetic chamois work well. The only downside is that drying hard to reach places are truly `hard to reach`. Whereas, using and MF or cotton towel is a bit easier on those areas.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll stick with the tried and true here and get an Absorber and follow with MF`s.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like to use my Water Bandit and then follow with a high quality microfiber towel or a serged Charisma. Works very well. Using the Water Bandit does take a bit longer than using cotton alone, but its so much fun to use. I actually enjoy drying my car with the Water Bandit. By most accounts the Water Bandit is better than the Absorber. And if you read more into synthetic towels, it seems as though that many prefer the Big Blue Towel over the Water Bandit. Wow! I haven`t used the Big Blue Towel myself but for now, I`m very pleased with the Water Bandit. Laters

Post Thanks / Like
    In my opinion the synthetic chamois is the best route to go.
    Fmr Nascar,Arca & USAC driver

96 Mitsu GST
    02 Vette Z06
    03 S2000

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t really like the absorber. You have to wring the heck out of it and it still leaves little tiny dots of water, which leave waterspots.

I have since switched to using 100% cotton bath towels. I use a blotting method and they work awesome. I can dry my F-150 with one bath towel.

2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just tried the 17 x 27 Absorber this weekend, and it ROCKED! I was able to blot all the water off my car, and then follow up with a small MF in about 10 minutes. No spots, no streaks. Awesome. I`ll never go back to a chamois again.

Post Thanks / Like
    for all you Absorber fans out there, try CMA`s Big Blue Drying Towel and you`ll switch.

I have 2 and simply fold them to a manageable size and dry the car. It can`t be any easier. The towels hold a ton of water and I never need to wring them out. No spots are left behind and no follow up with another towel, like I had to with the Absorber.

I was totally sold on the Absorber, and have been using that brand name for a number of years. I had used another similar product named Fireman`s Friend since the late 80`s.

The Big Blue Towel put them to shame.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information