14 3.60%
  • other

134 34.45%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Zep 40 Have never tried NXT

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Enforcer
    all you people buying glass-dedicated cleaners....when all you need is a microfiber and detail spray. treat the glass just like you do paint. think about it.......you use detail spray to remove streaks from your paint. it wont leave streaks on glass either.

i rarely use a dedicated glass cleaner on the outside windows these days (i just use a QD or spray wax), only on the tinted interior...

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m using DeSantis GLD Glass and Multi-Surface Cleaner
    David Bibiloni

Tailored Automotive Detailing

Drive with Distinction

Post Thanks / Like
    DP Krystal Vision Glass Cleaner ? Anyone ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Adams glass clean works very well IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    sprayaway- works great

Post Thanks / Like
    As I said years ago in this thread, I have most everything mentioned here. But I did just discover a local retailer that had Sprayaway for less than $2 a can. Aerosols aren`t my fav but coultn`t pass the deal during sloppy wintertime!
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Brad B. - Hi, Brad! :wavey Yeah, that *is* a great price for Sprayaway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the alcohol/water mix ok for window tint?

Post Thanks / Like

Any Steamer reviews or recommendations?

After reading a few articles on using vapor steamers vs. extractors, reading about how versatile steamers are and watching videos of steamers in action I have decided that I do indeed need a steamer in addition to my extractors, not just for carpets but to speed the detailing process on other vehicle surfaces as well. The problem I am having is that I haven`t found a definitive source for which models offer the best value, versatility, and durability. The only advice I have found (besides the advice on the pages of the guys trying to sell the units) is to stay away from the light plastic units and to look for the highest pressure and heat ratings you can find. In my opinion that view is a little simplistic as I am sure there is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to both heat and pressure and there are other considerations as well. I operate both a fixed location shop (80%) and a mobile unit (20%). Ideally I would like one that is capable of running off of a generator (6500w) and is at least somewhat portable. I am as concerned with quality and low maintenance as initial purchase price because I have learned the hard way that you will pay for it one way or another and I would rather not worry about downtime and repairs if I can help it, but we do live in a world where the quality/price ratio peaks and don`t know where that is with the steamers currently on the market. There is also the concern about the different methods of how these steamers are re-filled... Some offer continuous flow, while others require a cool down/refill/warmup cycle. Typically I only work on one vehicle at a time, so a unit that has enough capacity for one large vehicle should be sufficient but I wonder what others experience is? Any one have any recommendations as to a steamer that will produce the best value? Any one have any success stories or nightmares using a certain kind of steamer? Any essential/recommended/waste of time attachments?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtsAway View Post
    After reading a few articles on using vapor steamers vs. extractors, reading about how versatile steamers are and watching videos of steamers in action I have decided that I do indeed need a steamer in addition to my extractors, not just for carpets but to speed the detailing process on other vehicle surfaces as well. The problem I am having is that I haven`t found a definitive source for which models offer the best value, versatility, and durability. The only advice I have found (besides the advice on the pages of the guys trying to sell the units) is to stay away from the light plastic units and to look for the highest pressure and heat ratings you can find. In my opinion that view is a little simplistic as I am sure there is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to both heat and pressure and there are other considerations as well. I operate both a fixed location shop (80%) and a mobile unit (20%). Ideally I would like one that is capable of running off of a generator (6500w) and is at least somewhat portable. I am as concerned with quality and low maintenance as initial purchase price because I have learned the hard way that you will pay for it one way or another and I would rather not worry about downtime and repairs if I can help it, but we do live in a world where the quality/price ratio peaks and don`t know where that is with the steamers currently on the market. There is also the concern about the different methods of how these steamers are re-filled... Some offer continuous flow, while others require a cool down/refill/warmup cycle. Typically I only work on one vehicle at a time, so a unit that has enough capacity for one large vehicle should be sufficient but I wonder what others experience is? Any one have any recommendations as to a steamer that will produce the best value? Any one have any success stories or nightmares using a certain kind of steamer? Any essential/recommended/waste of time attachments?
    First off, I dont detail for $. Just my own cars. That matters because I don`t deal with cars that are trashed. I own a steamer it is a Karcher DE4002 and I like it for what it does. In my opinion it does not replace an extractor. I use the steamer for removiing grease in the engine, and in the jams. I also use it to remove build up around emblems quickly and easily. My steamer does not have a vacuum. My steamer is a continuous fill. It has 2 tanks, one is hot and pressurized and the other is open. It pumps water to the pressurized tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you have done a bit of research on what is out there and most importantly, what you are looking for - this is great !

I have a VX5000 unit, can be googled and found easily, a guy somewhere in the midwest sells them at a pretty good price delivered. It comes with 15 brushes, plastic, bronze, and steel, 2 long extensions, triangular brush, a floor cleaning brush, even a window washing attachment, and a couple of wands that shoot steam out at the end. The hose is long enough to get all of one side or maybe even both sides of a vehicle, depending on the height, width, of the vehicle.

It is a small rectangular unit on wheels, and fits perfectly in any detailing cart with room to spare.

It is an Italian made unit with a 2-year warranty.

Makes plenty of steam or steam/water, or hot water for detailing vehicles commercially, and is filled with a special bottle supplied with the unit at the top. It is not continuous fill, and I didnt want that or need that on a machine anyway.

I detailed 65 vehicles and 1 airplane with it last year, and it never let me down.

It also is great at cleaning out the oven, microwave, etc., inside the house, and whatever else you need to with it.

I only run distilled water in it, and it holds I believe a gallon of water plus some. Have never used it all up on one detail job. The book says it takes 12-15 minutes to heat up the water from filling - I have never timed it, but it seems to do it fast enough for my needs.

Comes with a book of instructions and a dvd showing how to use it.

Since I started using it, my cleaning chemical purchases have gone way down, and I am sure I am doing my part to go `green" and help the planet, etc., everytime I use it.

Good luck with your research!
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s a couple of links to threads posted by Rich Ross of Rocky Mountain Detailing regarding steamers.

1. http://truthindetailing.com/Forum/sh...hlight=steamer

2. http://truthindetailing.com/Forum/sh...hlight=steamer

Rich can do wonders with a steamer.
    Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    i own the VX 3000 which is a littile less expensive than the 5000. i only do my vehicles and everything around the house and love it. YMMV

Post Thanks / Like
    Doctordon -

Thanks for those links from Rich.

I have also used it on vehicles just like those in the links, and it really does get all the ga-ga out fast, and the bonus of doing some sanitizing along the way is really a good thing also.

On leather, it was mentioned that it removes the sheen from most leathers, and that is so correct. and when you remove that sheen and look at your white towel that is mounted on the big triangular brush, you will be amazed at all the dark residue,( which is not the color of the leather) on the towel!
    So I have to assume that this residue is probably conditioners maybe and a lot of dirt that is embedded in the leather, that is now removed.

Believe I read somewhere that really shiny leather, unless it was made and finished shiny is holding dirt and oils, and that gives it the shine.

The steamer carefully used in the leather seams is invaluable in getting out all that dirt, food, coffee, etc., that falls into those cracks and into the seams out. Yes, you can brush it out, but it takes longer perhaps, and the softening effect of the heated steam seems to loosen things up faster and bring them out quicker in my experience..

All the vehicles I do with leather seats and steam look, feel, and smell so much better when done.

I only use Spinneybeck leather conditioner on leather cleaned this way because they are a tannery that sells leather and automotive leather, and they recommend using this on cleaned leather. It has no odor at all, and is very easy to use.
    If a Client wants a "leather smell" I will still use Spinneybeck first, and then later, go over them again with something like Zaino Z-10 I think it is, and that gives a nice leather smell to the seats, etc...

Pretty hard to beat a Steamer for inside and outside work, figure on a normal detail or two to pay for it maybe... High end detail will probably buy a couple of them ?

Good luck with your project !
    Dan F

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information