Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m gonna do a anti-swirl/cleanup of my 5yr old Volvo paintwork.

Gonna use a Bosch Plex12 Random Orbital with:

1) 3M FI-2 (one pass)

2) 3M SMR (two passes)

3) Klasse AIO

4) Klasse SG (by hand, 3 layers over two days)

5) Blitz topper

Probably gonna clay before starting on the FI-2, I got 3 layers of KSG and 2 layers of Blitz wax on top now. Do I need to dawn wash or will the FI-2 strip everything off?

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    I assume that you plan to wash before starting all of this, so why not use Dawn?

Post Thanks / Like
    or game plan when removing swirls. You never know how easily or difficult they will be to get out.

Remember each time you use an abrasive product on your paint you are removing clearcoat. Today`s clearcoats are VERY thin, and can be broken through quite easily if you use abrasive products often. The consensus is to use the least abrasive product for the job.

I would start with SMR, and see if that cuts it. If it does, then you are done. If not, then go to Finesse it II. If that cuts it and there is no marring then again, you are done. If there is some surface marring from the Finesse it II, then follow up with SMR till it is gone.

After that, using AIO is overkill. I would skip it and go right to SG once the surface is prepped......

Post Thanks / Like
    Me and DetailKing go back and forth on this. I feel that All In One should be used, the paint feels smoother and looks cleaner (2 layers really makes a nice difference) and has a shine even before the Glaze is layered. Sure, it may be abrasive but to what extent, it is a very very weak cleaner, hardly hides swirls. The benefits outweigh the abrasives (if you even classify it as abrasive, considering it is so weak) 30 to 1 in my book.

Post Thanks / Like
    For a car that has just been clayed and then given the FI-II treatment followed by 3M SMR, doing AIO is pretty much a waste of time...IMO. For a car with light swirls and stains, claying, then AIO is a good prep, but not necessary if you`ve just done FI-II and 3M SMR.

Post Thanks / Like
    It prevents you from doing the dawn wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    You don`t need to dawn wash prior to claying, SMR`ing or FI-II`ing. However (and I assume this is obvious, but just in case) you SHOULD wash with SOMETHING, because dirt/dist particles are larger than the abrasive particles you`re about to use and could cause severe scratching once you start rubbing.

Post Thanks / Like
    carguy, do you mean to tell me that in a totally hypothetical situation, it is OK to start prepping your car without washing it as long as the dust particles are smaller than the abrasives in your polish?????

c`mon.. let`s not put any wild ideas in any newbies` heads who happen upon this thread....

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not dawn wash before claying? It makes the clay last longer and work faster. If you`re afraid of Dawn washing, spray the car down with Isopropyl alcohol or vinegar before washing and let it sit for a few minutes. This should strip the junk off of your car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the tips!

I`ll definitely wash my brick first but with car shampoo, cause I only can get the special care Dawn here in Singapore. So sticking with 3M shampoo and start off with Clay.

Probably start off with SMR and see the results before moving to FI-II if necessary.

Thanks again! :bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Brad4rdHay [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>It prevents you from doing the dawn wash. [/b]</blockquote>Brad, IMO doing a Dawn wash between 3M SMR and Klasse SG is unnecessary. A regular wash is more than enough. The oils and fillers used in the SMR are similar to the oils used in pure polishes like 3M IHG which also cannot survive a single car wash. Any residual oil left over will be taken out by the solvents in KSG.

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually had to dish soap (not Dawn) wash my car a couple of times to get rid of all of the fillers and oils that 3M SMR left behind, but then again my technique was way off, YMMV. I`d Dawn wash to be safe but that`s just my preference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Won`t a coat of AIO remove the oils as well?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats what I was trying to imply with my first post....

Post Thanks / Like
    A Dawn wash (or AIO) may or may not be necessary. I was going by Sal`s recommendation because he`s been using 3M SMR for many years and also by the fact that people like BradB. and DavidB go straight from PPCL (which also has oils and fillers) to KSG/ZSCP/BF protectant without using their cleaners or even a car wash. I`ve gone straight from PPCL to Z-5 as well without any bonding issues.

But as Puter said, your results may certainly vary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information