Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Just wondering if anyone tried and didn`t like it.

If so why..

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a major search on this forum and on other forums, newsgroups about your same question before I placed my order with Zaino. I found absolutely nothing in term of people disappointed with Zaino. I couldn`t even find a post where a person had a usage problem with Zaino. That was one of the reasons why I was sold on Zaino.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t care for it.

Let me say up front: Zaino is fairly easy to use, and produces a very, very nice shiny finish with good longevity. It is a top quality product.

I don`t llike it for two reasons. First, I have a philosophical problem with their marketing claims. Second, I am an instant-gratification junkie and
    I am not crazy about having to wait for long times required for it to "cure" - when other products produce results just as good and don`t require that. To be fair, ZFX may address this issue.

Now, if you care, I`ll voice my opinion about Zaino`s marketing.

I find their claims "...nothing like the "commercial" products that everyone else sells..." and "wettest-looking", clearest, deepest, longest lasting and highest UV(40) finish protection in the industry, without abrasives or harmful silicones. Plus it is the easiest and fastest polish you will ever use. There is nothing on the market that compares to Show Car Polish products..." a bit ridiculous. This is not supported by any evidence, and my tests demonstrated otherwise. It isn`t WORSE but it clearly isn`t BETTER either. I wasn`t out to get Zaino in this test - I really WANTED it to live up to its claims! I`m not religious about which product I use - I will use whatever works best, no matter who it is from.

Zaino and ardent Zaino followers make 4 claims:

1) Superior shine
    2) Superior longevity
    3) Superior swirl filling
    4) Superior dust repulsion/rejection.

I cleaned and prepped my black Porsche, followed instructions and applied their "polish-lok", 3 coats of z5 and Z2, and used Z6 - all on the right rear quarter panel. The rest of the car was prepared with standard off-the-shelf retail products. I left it on the car through several washes. I repeatedly asked car-nut friends to tell me which part of the car they thought was the shiniest/best looking, or which was different. Nobody could find a difference, and when pressed, they always chose a different section of the car.

I let the car get very dusty. There was ZERO difference between the Zaino and non-Zaino area, both in the amount of dust that appeared, and the amount that blew off when I aimed the leaf-blower at it.

My test shows that the clainmed swirl-filling properties of Z5 don`t exist - at least not with the two coats I applied. And if it truly takes 5 coats (between which I have to wait, wait, wait) - what is the point? I can get RID of swirls faster than that, not just hide them.

I cannot claim to have done an exhaustive test for longevity, but I went to great lengths to try to see if it was better in the other 3 categories and concluded that, FOR ME, ON MY CAR, it was not. Again - not bad - but nothing special. There are guys that use it and love it - I say "great". Enjoy it, go for it. I just choose not to buy it.

Post Thanks / Like
    While Zaino is a decent product I think the hype exceeds its actual performance. It does have shortcomings:

1. The cost, so many products you need to buy. It seems they put out a new product instead of improving what they have, for example, Z2, Z5 and ZFx seem to do the same thing - 3 products when one should do;

2. I do not believe Z5 is very effective at hiding swirl marks, seems like 3 coats is not enough for minor swirls.

3. the length of time it takes to put on mutliple layers, much longer than other products - and why should you buy yet another product to get it to cure faster!

4. I am not happy with the level of protection it gives. I have noticed stains getting into the Zaino layer.

5. No evidence that the product is in fact optically perfect (whatever that means in the context of car care).

6. How can 3 of their products be the longest lasting wettest product in the the world. They seem to make the same claims for several of their products, surely they cannot all tie for first.

7. It seems that some Zaino supporters see the weakness in other products but are blind to the shortcomings of Zaino. So they bucket other products and speak of Zaino as if it was perfect.
    Regards

Michael H

Post Thanks / Like
    Great review Carguy... thanks for the info!

Did you post similar info on funcarsonline?

Great review and great work... nice car too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I did that review a while back. I posted it here and on the M5 board. As far as I know it pretty much made the rounds. As a credit to this board, the responses were appreciative and respectful, even among users who disagree with me (and I certainly respect their right to do so.) Now, the responses I got from the guys on the Viper board...... let`s just say they weren`t quite so "diplomatic".

Post Thanks / Like
    Ough-Ohhh... I`m buying a Viper soon... I`ll try not to act like "those" guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just wanted to address a couple of things:

1) I have never used Zaino and have never seen a Zainoed car in real life. Judging from pictures I would like Zaino on a very light colored car but prefer the look of Klasse, which I am currently using, on dark cars.

2) Zaino is very justified in making many of the marketing claims. Dust reduction is definitely true compared to carnauba wax, is it not?

3) Do you have any evidence Zaino [Z2 is referred to as being nearly optically PURE, not z5] is not optically clear, or "perfect"?

4) Zaino Z5 is mostly designed to fill in swirl marks / minor marring in the sealant layer, is it not? Get the surface perfect and THEN put layers on, don`t expect the product to do everything for you!

5) "Wettest product" is very subjective. Marketing claims can easily be made for this.

The bottom line is the marketing claims of a product are not what matters. The performance is what actually matters. I`m not disagreeing with Carguy`s review, I found it informative. Thank you all for being so "diplomatic" about this, nice to see people can remain civilized . Maybe there is hope for humanity after all...it lies in the detail[er]s.

puterbum

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to set the record straight, ZFX does allow an instant cure so you can layer back to back coats. Using the Z1, Z2 method you have to wait 24 hours for it to cure for optimum layering. This cure time only really limits the time it takes to layer on more coats....you can drive the car, get it wet,etc, while it is curing and results start the minute you buff it off the car. Besides carnubas, EVERY polymer product has to cure and cross link, and takes time to do so for proper layering.

As for carguy`s test, I thought we all agreed that your car was swirled up pretty bad. You really needed to remove those swirls first with an abrasive product like 3M swirl mark remover. Zaino does diminish MINOR swirls. Many of us have had great results with Z5 filling in swirls. One of our newest members had good results with Z5 filling swirls and he posted this today. http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum...?threadid=6353

Maybe people use improper detailing techniques or improper towels that lead to swirls no matter what product is used. This is something to be careful of......ever wonder where all those swirls are coming from? YOU!

What Z5 is the BEST at, is keeping the car swirl free once it is perfect and a few coats are applied. Any time you see minor swirls develop, often the marring is in the polish later and Z5 does a really good job keeping the looking great.

It is a shame carguy didn`t continue his test. He would of noticed increased gloss and slickness after the first Z7 wash, and an even better look after a Z6 treatment. This "just detailed" look and feel would of contined on for weeks and months.

I did my own testing before I used zaino, but I gave it a chance, and have been using it ever since.

Post Thanks / Like
    While Zaino is a decent product I think the hype exceeds its actual performance. It does have shortcomings:

1. The cost, so many products you need to buy. It seems they put out a new product instead of improving what they have, for example, Z2, Z5 and ZFx seem to do the same thing - 3 products when one should do;

-------> Zaino did improve what they had. ZFX replaces Z1. There is your improvement. Each of those products you mentioned have different uses. Z5 is a thicker Z2 that will fill in swirls. Z2 is claimed to have higher gloss, but Z5 and Z2 give the car a different look, and some people use Z2 exclusively, some Z5 exclusively, and some mix it. ZFX is an additive to be used with Z5 or Z2 to give it an instant cure.

3. the length of time it takes to put on mutliple layers, much longer than other products - and why should you buy yet another product to get it to cure faster!

-----> With ZFX it allows an instant cure and back to back layering. With out it, you do have to wait 24 hours to layer, but this is applies with many other products, so it really is not any slower of a process than anything else. If you are layering other products allowing no cure time, you might as well do the same thing with zaino, cause they are not TRUELY layering.

4. I am not happy with the level of protection it gives. I have noticed stains getting into the Zaino layer.

----> Interesting, I never heard of that before. What kind of stains?

5. No evidence that the product is in fact optically perfect (whatever that means in the context of car care).

-----> Most people that tried zaino and other products will agree that zaino does not tint the car, and lets the true color of the paint or metallics come out compared to some other formulations.

6. How can 3 of their products be the longest lasting wettest product in the the world. They seem to make the same claims for several of their products, surely they cannot all tie for first.

-----> You are really stretching it here........

7. It seems that some Zaino supporters see the weakness in other products but are blind to the shortcomings of Zaino. So they bucket other products and speak of Zaino as if it was perfect.

---> Remember the important thing is to use what works best for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I find Zaino good only for the crome parts where the more shine the better.

Using Zaino on paint creates a shiny plastic look I don`t care about. I prefer the Carnauba look that you find at the Concours events.

Now that Blackfire is out, BF + Zymol looks like a winning combo.

Post Thanks / Like
    "3) Do you have any evidence Zaino [Z2 is referred to as being nearly optically PURE, not z5] is not optically clear, or "perfect"?"

Zaino make the assertion, not me. They must prove what they mean by the phrase and their scientific proof in support. I do not think that is unreasonable, since we expect no less of other manufacturers.
    Regards

Michael H

Post Thanks / Like
    Meguiar`s makes the "optical purity" claim for Gold Class too.

Post Thanks / Like
    While Zaino asserts that the products are for different purposes, having used most of then, Imam not convinced they really offer any difference. I think they could rationalise at least 2 products and no one would notice any difference to the final result.

I think it is fairer to say ZFX is an alternative too but not a replacement for Z1 - at over twice the price!

No manufacturer can fairly claim 2 or more products in the same class is the best, one or the other maybe, but not both. Onus is on Zaino to prove this logic wrong, since they make the assertion.

I have raised the staining issue on at least 2 occasions before. No point raising it again.

The pros and cons of each product should be aired and everyone make their own choice on what meets their needs, that is my point.

In case any one is wondering, yes I have and still use Zaino for certain projects. I also use 3M, Klasse, Zymol, Mothers, Meguiars and Pinnacle products depending on what result I am after!
    Regards

Michael H

Post Thanks / Like
    detailking said "....you can drive the car, get it wet,etc, while it is curing and results start the minute you buff it off the car. "

I`m confused - you drive around with the unbuffed Zaino still on? What about dirt/dust you pick up in between coats?

He also said: "As for carguy`s test, I thought we all agreed that your car was swirled up pretty bad. " -

Check the photos in regular light - those swirlks were basically invisible. The lighting I used was EXTREMELY dramatic and made the swirls look much worse than they were. (This also made it possible to see results between every coat. )

If I did this test again, I would do it on a door panel so that a virtually flat surface was exposed as evenly as possible to the camera and light.

By the way, if there`s anyone out there who wants to show me that Zaino is better, you`re welcome to come do my car!!!

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information