Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glass Cleaner

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a friend who bought a 328i, and he has no idea how to clean the car. I have lots of experience, but not to the level of most on this forum. My experience has been limited to mostly the Mothers and Meguiars product lines. Knowing my friend, he will not spend 8 hours in the driveway detailing, so I need something simple. In other words, I`d like a two-step process for the paint. A cleaning step, and a protecting step. Here is what I`d like to recommend to him:

1. Paint Cleaner

2. Easy to use Paint Protectant (wax, polymer, etc.)

Previously, I would recommend Mothers Pre-Wax cleaner or Meguiars #2 Hi-Tech Cleaner, followed by Mothers Pure Carnuaba wax or Meguiars #26 Yellow wax. The car is located in the New England area, and I would wager that he would be willing to detail the car maybe once every couple of months. I have read lots of good info. on Zaino and Klasse, among other products, but I am not sure which exact product would be best if using a two-step process. In addition, I have only used waxes. I have no knowledge at all of any other synthetic products that use polymers, acrylics, etc.

Also, can anyone recommend:

1. Low gloss tire dressing

2. Something to polish and protect metal exterior trim (i.e. window trim)

3. Glass cleaner

4. Synthetic chamois or equivalent product for drying vehicle

5. Wax applicator (pad, etc.)

6. Wax remover (towels. etc.)

7. Quick detailer

I think I have the rest under control, with either 303 or Vinylex for the interior trim. Lexol for the leather. Meguiars Gold for the wash. Mothers or other clay bar for pre-clean.

Well, that`s all! ;-) Thanks in advance for you help. I am way out of touch with today`s cleaning products. I used to detail cars during summers when I was in College. I`d charge $120 a car, did 2 or 3 a week, and had a blast doing it. However, that was a while ago, so I am sure the products have come a long way.

Right now I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee. My detailing days ended when I sold my last car, which was a heavily modified A4. The Jeep gets detailed by running it through the automatic car wash (hey, it`s a Jeep!). My Jeep lease ends soon, and I`ll be getting a new Passat GLX 5-speed, so I`ll have to get back into the detailing groove soon myself...

Thanks again,

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    For a 2 step system, I would say Klasse All-In-One (Cleaner) and Klasse Sealant Glaze (protectant) They are acrilic so they will provide very durable protection and great shine. Also Blackfire is a 2 step cleaner/protectant system. Zaino could also be an option, but Z has no cleaning properties so the paint must be prepped properly first.

As for the rest of you list:

1. Zaino Z16, 303, Eagle One Concours

2. You can put Klasse/blackfire on exterior metal trim

3. Stoner invisable glass

4. Absorber or Water Bandit

5. Foam Pad

6. Microfiber Towels

7. Depends on what protection you use.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum!

A few quick answers:

For the tires and any exterior non painted plastic trim use the Vinylex or 303 both work great.

Klasse has a All In One cleaner sealant that can be used alone or topped with the Klasse SG.

For glass try Stoners or Eagle 20/20 or Some use just water and a MF towel or a alchohol water or Vinegar water mixture.

For drying there is a lengthy thread here titled I think "The ultimate drying technique" It gives lots of tips on drying towels and techniques.

For applicators I prefer foam but I also use the terry and MF pads as well.

For towels there are many threads I prefer MF towels.

I suggest you do a quick search on each topic. ALso go to the carport site and read in the details details details section as there are many tips there as well.

Good Luck and happy detailing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would agree Klasse is the way to go. It will give good results in 2 steps. Another possibility is to go Blackfire.
    Regards

Michael H

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have a bimmer (check out my pics in the member pics section "ZFX holding up well") and zaino has been working well for me.

It`s a great system that is quick and easy to use that includes a car wash and quick detailer specifically designed to work together. I have not met a zaino user yet that does not like the Z7 wash or Z6 quick detailer.

Anyhow, in my opinion, using an abrasive to clean the paint is a short cut way out. I would not use abrasives on my paint unless I needed too remove swirls. If I was given the choice of a cleaner wax or clay, I would pick clay.....no doubt about it. Clay is an easy and quick process and will get the cars surface very smooth, and remove any embedded contamination. Clay would be your first step, and a coat of Zaino Z2 (using ZFX) would be your second step. This will give you a high gloss finish, that beads water and stays slick for at least 4 months. With zaino, it is non abrasive and can layer with each coat, so a few months down the road when you get a few hours after wash, you can layer on more coats of zaino, there is no starting over. Each successive coat will extend durability and increase gloss. The only maintaince required is to wash periodically with Z7 wash and (optional) finish up with Z6 quick detailer. The car will look "just detailed" for months.

I use 303 or Zaino Z16 on all my rubber, black steel, and plastic trim. It has decent durability, and a low gloss satin shine. They both work well on tires too. Z16 probably has the edge in durability, but I like and use both products.

GOOD LUCK, and I hope this helps.......

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by DETAILKING [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>I also have a bimmer (check out my pics in the member pics section "ZFX holding up well") and zaino has been working well for me.[/b]</blockquote>
    The Klasse and Zaino sound good. I saw that I could purchase the Klasse products online at www.properautocare.com, which is convenient. Is there a place to buy Zaino online?

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    www.ecklers.com carries Zaino and you can buy it online. I don`t think they have ZFX yet though. Other than that you will either have to find a distributor in your area or do mail order from Sal.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    for as many cars as you`re going to be doing, go with Klasse all the way
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by MichaelB2 [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>

The Klasse and Zaino sound good. I saw that I could purchase the Klasse products online at www.properautocare.com, which is convenient. Is there a place to buy Zaino online?

Mike [/b]</blockquote>
    www.zainobros.com is the direct way to get the fine Z stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would only recommend Klasse if you have a garage. In my experience Klasse SG needs a long cure time which if done outdoors can present problems (and I use Klasse). Otherwise I would choose a no or short cure time` product. Klasse does give great results though.

GoodLuck

Post Thanks / Like
    outdoors. I let SG dry an hour max and buff off. It might take 24 hours to fully cure but if the car is left outside during this process nothing bad will happen............

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by DETAILKING [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>outdoors. I let SG dry an hour max and buff off. It might take 24 hours to fully cure but if the car is left outside during this process nothing bad will happen............ [/b]</blockquote>
    I have a somewhat related question. When I used carnauba-based wax, I let it dry (or cure), then wiped off. I had heard somewhere that some people actually applied it, then immediately wiped it off, leaving a gloss finish. I tried this method, and got excellent results. Is there a right or wrong way with wax?

Post Thanks / Like
    Applying and than removing carnauba wax before it drys, does not add lyers of wax, it`s just the oils in the wax that adds the shine, not the wax. Wax cures in three to five days.
    Andre`

Post Thanks / Like
    DK,

I`ve misspoken. I meant a long dry time (not cure time). Which from my experience (4 SG`s) Klasse takes. I`m doing the best I can with applying thin applications but I haven`t found that 1 hour will suffice. If you`re doing this outside and want to let the Klasse dry a while (couple hours minimum) you have to be concerned with dust accumulating, the sun popping in and out, etc. This along with the PITA SG can be anyway could be a bit much for the newbie. At this point , and I`m still learning, I just think Klasse SG needs an ideal `environment` to truly work well - for residue removal if nothing else.

Just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick question, what`s the difference between wax drying and curing? Also, what`s this about wiping carnabu off immediatly without letting it dry or cure? Is this true? What happens if you let carnabu sit (cure, dry, whatever!!) on the car for a long time?
    -Chuckmotor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information