Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a few questions. First off, I ordered the kit from CMA that has AIO and SG + 2 MF applicator pads. I also ordered Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner to prep my paint. (It`s about five years old, and some places are dulling slightly, and there`s swirls, of course.) I might need to clay it, too, as it`s not exactly "smooth as glass".

I mainly have two concerns:

1) Weather conditions during application.

I waited a little long to "winterize" my car, but the days here (Middle Tennessee) are somewhat mild, still, with highs around 55-65. The current humdity is about 93%. I`m not sure what the ideal conditions are, but, with this weather, should I have any problems?

2) SG cure time.

I hear some people saying 20 minutes is enough, and others saying to leave it overnight, then buff it off, and wait a few days, even a week, before applying successive coats. What will yield the best results? If I leave SG on overnight, will it matter that I don`t have a garage, and that dew will settle on my car?

As an additional question, after cleaning, will a pure polish help my any before applying the AIO, or does AIO have enough pure polish in it to eliminate the need? I have some meguiar`s "deep crystal system polish" but I`m not sure it`s even worth applying, as AIO probably has something better in it.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shouldn`t have any problems with the weather. I Klassed my car when it was pretty cool out (had to quit before the sun went down because my hands were cold). It was about 40 then.

As for cure time, have fun and experiment! I`ve let one coat cure for 20 minutes (it looked good), one coat for a few hours (looked good two), and my third coat I let cure for a day. Now it looks really good with three coats on it. Do whatever works best for you.

Search the archives as well. Many, many people have asked questions and posted experiences.

Josiah
    Personalized Key Ring Man

Post Thanks / Like
    You`ll have no problems with the climate that you currently have. As far as curing. For best results, allow the sealant to cure for 24 hours. This means to wait 24 hours before you apply additional coats. I`ve done two to three coats in one day, but it would be wiser to indeed wait 24 hours. Also, allow the Klasse SG to sit on your car for a minimum of 20 minutes before you buff it out. Laters

Post Thanks / Like
    So I should put the SG on, wait twenty minutes, then buff it off, then wait twenty-four hours before applying additional coats? I suppose I was mistaken to think that it had to cure before you buffed it. Guess not. I understand now, and thanks. It all makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Notice it is a <em class=`bbc`>minimum[/i] of 20 minutes. Many users have reported better results with waiting longer before buffing off. I would wait longer.

Also, if you do use any kind of moistrue for buffing the SG off, make sure you wait longer before buffing and don`t use much. I`d recommend buffing off with a dry microfiber and breathing on the tough spots. Thanks to YoSteve for that fine idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been very happy with 2 coats of SG in a one day period followed by two the next day. Experiment!

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have done 2 coats of SG in one day. Just saying many have reported better results with longer wait times. ABOVE ALL, don`t hesitate to experiment safely!! There are no clear-cut instructions for KLASSE, just the ones people have developed by experimentation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I can one up you all. Jason and I have applied 3 coats in one day numerous times. Great results. However, its probably a better idea to just wait 24 hours before applying additional coats. If this is not possible then by all means just apply two coats in one day. Its quite fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Removing automotive paint from leather seats

A co-worker has automotive paint on his leather seats. His daughter got into the glove box, took out red touch-up paint, and got it all over the black leather seats.

My question is, does anyone know of a way to remove this type of paint from leather seats. Ive read some stuff about house paint, but automotive paint seems like a whole different animal. One suggestion was to use Painter`s Pal from Goo Gone combined with a Magic Eraser to remove it. Has anyone tried this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Try laquer thinner :-B

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Try laquer thinner :-B
    Is this safe to use, or will it destroy the leather as well?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used Meguiars APC+ at 4:1 dilution to remove automotive overspray on vinyl before with great success.
    Connor Harrison

Inspection -> Correction -> Protection

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Urweak View Post
    Is this safe to use, or will it destroy the leather as well?
    Yes it is safe to use. No it shouldn`t do any damage. Do a test area on the backside (inside of map pocket) of the front seat :Santa Smiley:

Post Thanks / Like

Question

I tried thinner for an ink stain on leather once and it took off the color as well.

There are different grades and types of laquer thinners ,what are you using Flash?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detailchick View Post
    I tried thinner for an ink stain on leather once and it took off the color as well.

I`ve never had that happen. Not saying it can`t though.

There are different grades and types of laquer thinners ,what are you using Flash?

www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=21&prodid=229

Here is what I use ^ @-)

You will probally have to re-dye the leather anyway. Ink & Paint are your two worst enemys when they are on leather. I wish JudyB would chime in. Even though she would probally chastise me for using laquer thinner :-B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information