Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been lurking around the board here for a couple months now, reading and absorbing as much information as I could. I think I`ve finally made up my mind on which products to use, so I thought I`d run my list by all of you and see what you think.

The car is a two-week-old 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX (blue pearl), but I will also be doing my 89 Alfa Romeo Milano racecar eventually.

-Meguairs Goldclass shampoo (been using this for a while, love it)

-Pinnacle Paint Clensing Lotion

-Mothers Clay bar (for the Alfa, not the WRX)

-Blackfire gloss enhancing polish

-Blackfire paint protection

-Blackfire QD

-Plexus glass/plastic cleaner

-Meguiars endurance tire gel (this seems to work well, but is there anything better?)

I am still undecided on what to use on all the vinyl & rubber... I`ve been using Meguars clean/shine/protect but it`s too greasy and shiney.

I decided on Blackfire because I don`t have room in the garage for the car... so I`ll have to apply the product outside, possible in the sun. Besides, people on this forum seem to like the Blackfire as much, if not more, than Klasse.

Let me know what you think, I`m open to any suggestions! Thanks!
    -Chip

2002 Subaru WRX (World Rally Blue Pearl), 1989 Alfa Romeo Milano (Black)

http://www.fastalfas.com

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I was always told, I would give your WRX another two weeks since the paint is so new.

For the Vinyl and Rubber, use 303. I have used sevral products and nothing can compare to 303. It has the REAL "new" look. Like new fresh material, not the old material coated with a greasy product.

Post Thanks / Like
    eom

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the quick response! I`ve heard that it`s fine to wax a new car from the factory because the paint is heat cured... and besides, the car was painted over a month before I bought it.

Here`s a pic of the car... undetailed :-(
    -Chip

Post Thanks / Like
    Good choice in cars, I love my WRX

Anyway, you might want to use the clay (+ lube) on your WRX also. Mine had some paint contamination, probably from transport.

Also, you might want to use 303 instead of the Mequires Gel for the tires. Less shine, it leaves the tires with a nice black new tire look. Plus, 303 is also great for all the plastic on the car.

I also used 303 fabrik protectent on the seats and carpet. Good Stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    For tires I would recommend:

303 Aerospace Protectant

Zaino Z16

Eagle One Concours Satin Tire Shine

Lexol Vinylex.

They are in no perticular order, they are all good water based dressings.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll inspect how smooth the paint is after I wash it... shoud I do the clay before or after the PPCL?

Thanks.
    -Chip

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice car!

Today`s paints are catalyzed and cure very quickly. Besides when you consider transport from the factory and dealer prepping,etc,etc, the paint is definately dry and cured and ready to be detailed. I would do it ASAP. Your car needs protection from UV rays and airborne contaminants....

On black trim I like 303 and Zaino Z16 tire dressing. Both give a low gloss shine. They are both non greasy and make no mess. 303 seems to dry a bit faster but Zaino seems to last a bit longer, especially on tires. On trim, they last about the same. For more gloss, and a higher shine, check out turtle wax 2001 tire gel, i also works well on tires with no mess.....but you have to wipe twice.

As a minimum I would dawn wash the car and use clay or a paint cleanser. If you have swirls I would address them as well if they are moderate.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn`t use ANYTHING abrasive. Your car doesn`t need it, all I would do is clean it, go over with clay and layer Blackfire.

I saw the STI verison of those WRX`s, I like the rims, steering wheel and seat upgrades.

:bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Chip!

I just ordered the Blackfire for our "new" 91 164L (it needs ALOT of help!) and my GTV6. It should be here in a couple days. I think I`m going to go with the 303 for the tires & trim.

Love the WRX............

Didn`t you have a 164 also?? Any left over stuff?!! :p

Post Thanks / Like
    02 t rex, a couple of worthwhile mods.

Even if you keep the head unit, replace the stock speakers. Easy to do.

And, probably more importantly, I switched out the sway bars with Whitelines (22mm front, 20 - 24 mm rear). What a difference. Much nicer turn in.

Have fun and if you haven`t discovered it already, check out www.i-club.com - a great site for Subaru fans.

Post Thanks / Like
    What color is your 164L? I just sold my black/tan 1993 164S so that I could buy the WRX. That car was really beautiful! I kinda miss it... but every time I step into the WRX I have no regrets!

I can`t wait to spend some serious time detailing the rex... I just love that blue!!
    -Chip

Post Thanks / Like
    bobg,

Yes, I`ve already discovered the i-club! I`m just as addicted to that forum as I am to this one!!

I`ve been looking into changing the lame factory speakers, but there don`t seem to be many options available....

As for the whiteline swaybars, do the poly bushings sqeak at all? I had poly swaybar bushings on both of my Alfas and the bushings sqeaked like crazy... grease or no grease.
    -Chip

Post Thanks / Like
    <span style=`color: blue`>What color is your 164L? I just sold my black/tan 1993 164S so that I could buy the WRX.

I bought a 1991 Dark Green Alfa Romeo 164L, it`s an automatic but for the price I couldn`t turn it down! It has the tan leather. I looked for the Eagle One Leather Conditioner but couldn`t find it around here in S. Georgia! Used some Lexol instead. Worked well!

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed the bars about two months ago (actually had them installed, the mounting on the right rear is bear). The first couple of days they creaked a few times, but after that they have been quiet. They were installed with the grease that Whiteline supplies. I bought them from www.mofugas.com.

The speaker choices are limited, but put anything in there. It will be better than the factory speakers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information