Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Jngrbrdman [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Scratch X is really hard to use if you plan on using it on the whole car. It is designed to be used on small areas. It is harder to buff off than regular wax. You might just want to use it on the really bad spots and leave the minor stuff to the zaino or another swirl reducer wax. [/b]</blockquote>
    I agree about using it on the entire car, if by hand alone. I used a palm buffer with a sponge bonnet and it put it on very thin. It was very easy to use. I think the buffer method is best due to spreading the material out thin.

I also followed up with Zaino Z-5 and it really does a nice job of getting those pesty swirls hidden.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay thanx for the advice i will definitely some of the sugestions.I agree with karen i think its darn near impossbile to prevent siwrls and fine scratches it bothers me big time as well.I hope ron is right and it just marring of the wax etc.Thanx again.

Post Thanks / Like
    I too own a new Mustang, a 2001 Laser Red(about 7 months old now). I also have had a few light swirls/scratches in the paint.

I am glad Ron K saw your post first, as I was about to suggest the same thing he did. Most dealers will remove the plastic transit coating from your vehicle, then wash it, and then detail using some kind of spray wax/carnuba based wax.

There may be two (or more) causes for your swirls

1. Improper washing techinques at the dealership, then the dealer applied a spray glaze or wax, this glaze filled in the swirls the dealer had caused. When you washed your car, you removed the filling properties of the wax, then you suddenly noticed them. IE they were there from the day you drove off the lot.

2. A poor quality terry cloth towel you used for drying or perhaps your wash mitt, may have marred the surface.

A couple of points to consider-

1. Examine your swirls after washing and drying the car, run your fingernail along them lightly, can you "feel" the scratch with your fingernail?

2. You may very well have a coat of light spray wax on your car. Without going into a lot of expense to strip the wax, try washing with a light solution of Dawn dishwashing liquid and water. After washing with Dawn, then rewash using a good quality carwash solution(Meguiar`s Gold class, PS21, whatever...).

The Dawn will strip off the dealer wax, and then really let you look at your car`s surface.

You will need to strip off the dealer wax anyway when you plan to "remove" the swirls. Why not see where the swirls are really located? Of course, once you remove the swirls(if needed) you will then need to rewax your car`s surface again.

I would first get the dealer wax off the car, then look at the REAL surface. That can help to tell you if you have marrs in the wax coating, or acutal marrs/swirls in your clear.

I can not emphasize enough that the surface you are dealing with is VERY delicate. Swirl removal can take time. The folks on this board are very knowledgable, but DON`T try to tackle a problem until you are sure of what the real problem is. Trust me, I have done it in the past, and have often not been happy with my results.

For example,

No need to go attacking swirl marks in the clear(with a 3M product, or Meguiar`s), if all you have is marrs in your wax. You might end up creating more scratches than you started with. Remove the wax first, then really see what is underneath. Then if you still have swirls, make a game plan.

I know this is long, but post back to me if you like. Once you know what you have, you can develop a better game plan, and ensure that you have a better shine!

SJ

Post Thanks / Like

headliner stains

I have an otherwise perfect 356 porsche white vinyl headliner with water stains along the door edge. (bad door seal) It`s a lot of work to replace the liner. Anyone have a trick for cleaning?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, 1-cup of LA`s Awesome to 1-gallon of warm water.Get a wash mit or cotton wash cloth and let it soak in bucket. Retrieve mit/cloth and wringe out 80%. Then just start rubbing. If the stain presist, spray straight Awesome onto damp rag and try again. Have a large dry cotton towel on hand for drying

LA`s Awesome is avalible at Dollar Tree/Dollar General & Family Dollar. Its in the cleaning section and is yellow in color. I have used dozens of interior cleaning products in my 28 year detailing career and have found nothing that holds a candle to LA`s Awesome :StarWars:

***Do not spray this product directly onto leather(or at least, not till you get past the learning curve of using this product :biggrin: )

Post Thanks / Like
    You can also try some Spray-Nine i have some great turn arounds with that.You don`t need to dilute it either.
    Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m a Folex guy myself, but never tried anything else

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    LA`s Awesome is avalible at Dollar Tree/Dollar General & Family Dollar. Its in the cleaning section and is yellow in color. I have used dozens of interior cleaning products in my 28 year detailing career and have found nothing that holds a candle to LA`s Awesome :StarWars:
    I don`t use this product exclusively for my APC, but it is in the regular rotation and I will say that it is an outstanding product and at $4/gal it is definitely worth trying out if you have ready access. My most frequent use of the product is diluted 4:1 for exterior use. It`s performance rivals many better known (in the detailing community) products.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information